The Student Room Group

B at AS chem, need atleast an A at A2, should i resit unit 1 and unit 2?

I got a B at AS chem: unit 1 i got 70 ums/100ums ( this what literally just a about a B) unit 2 107ums/140ums (% ums of an A) and in my empa, 38/60 (a middle C) so i got a B overall. I need an A at A2 so i think i should resit unit 1 because i feel like i could definitely bring that mark up to an A hopefully, i dont know if its worth doing unit 2 again?
Original post by dolphin9799
I got a B at AS chem: unit 1 i got 70 ums/100ums ( this what literally just a about a B) unit 2 107ums/140ums (% ums of an A) and in my empa, 38/60 (a middle C) so i got a B overall. I need an A at A2 so i think i should resit unit 1 because i feel like i could definitely bring that mark up to an A hopefully, i dont know if its worth doing unit 2 again?

Yes. I got a B at AS Chem and a B at A2 Chem without any resits (ISAs!!!) :s-smilie:

Since you can get up to 30 UMS from one and 33 UMS from the other exam I'd suggest picking the easier one and resitting that, or both if you really wish.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Yes. I got a B at AS Chem and a B at A2 Chem without any resits (ISAs!!!) :s-smilie:

Since you can get up to 30 UMS from one and 33 UMS from the other exam I'd suggest picking the easier one and resitting that, or both if you really wish.

but i feel like the chances of getting full marks on one of them is really rare!!
but i feel like the chances of getting full marks on one of them is really rare!!

If you work hard enough it's definitely possible, especially being as you've expanded your knowledge this year so you should find it a lot easier. B is a great grade and you could get an A overall with no resits. I'd recommend resitting the unit you find you wouldn't have to work as hard for (i.e. if you know in one unit there are lots of topics you struggled to understand or remember then resit the other). This would bring your AS grade up making it easier to get an A overall, but I really wouldn't suggesting resitting both units. Because that'll mean sitting exams for the whole of AS and A2 Chemistry (besides practical exams) which will just make it harder anyway, you'd be better off resitting one or none and putting all your effort into A2.
Reply 4
I'd recommend against a resit - I got a B in Maths and Physics at AS, and I pulled them both up to high As without resits at A2 by just focusing on A2
What is empa? I do IALs so my unit 3 is a written test instead of a lab hands on test. I managed to get full marks for that. I would suggest since you have quite a number of possible marks to gain from unit 3 to do that since it seems units 3 and 6 are respectively easier than units 1,2 / 4,5. Unless even if you do get say, 55/60 for unit 3 and still won't get an A. Then of course don't do that.

If you're not comfortable with redoing unit 3, then redo unit 1. I don't think you should pile on too many retakes at once. You might just end up not improving at all since your attention is so split.
(edited 8 years ago)

After you're getting to grips with A2 you should find AS a bit easier, even if the content doesn't overlap much.
Reply 7
Original post by _lexnne
I'd recommend against a resit - I got a B in Maths and Physics at AS, and I pulled them both up to high As without resits at A2 by just focusing on A2

Did u have to get A*s in the A2 exams to pull them up?
Did u have to get A*s in the A2 exams to pull them up?

You can calculate that for yourself no? An A overall at A level is 480 UMS marks. So just minus what you already have and that's what you need to get cumulatively in your A2 units to get an A at A level overall.

Resit C/W and Unit 2

Quick Reply

Latest