The Student Room Group

Hungarian Prime Minister advocates more European children, fewer immigrants

Speaking at a conference in Budapest, Victor Orban warned that Europe cannot build its future on immigrants. He added that the survival of our civilization and culture is at stake.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If only we could have a prime minister with his balls.
Why can't Europeans have more children then or are they deterred by children?
Not unreasonable for those who want a productive society.
Reply 4
My kind of politician.
Original post by ForestGreen1
Speaking at a conference in Budapest, Victor Orban warned that Europe cannot build its future on immigrants. He added that the survival of our civilization and culture is at stake.

It is a global trend: developed countries have birth rates under the replacement rate. Wishing that it changes won't do anything.
Reply 6
Original post by Raymat

it's hard to get Tenerife holidays if you have to care about few kids.
Reply 7
That means Britain can send back all the Hungarian immigrants in Britain.
Original post by Raymat

Don't know about anywhere else, but here in the UK I see and hear so many comments that people shouldn't have kids if they cannot afford them. Comments about poorer people with kids being "breeders". That financial assistance from the state should be limited to two children per family.

Can't have it both ways, really.
Original post by Kittiara
Don't know about anywhere else, but here in the UK I see and hear so many comments that people shouldn't have kids if they cannot afford them. Comments about poorer people with kids being "breeders". That financial assistance from the state should be limited to two children per family.

We can do that AND we can stop admitting poor immigrants.
Original post by billydisco
We can do that AND we can stop admitting poor immigrants.

Maybe. But this thread is about having more European children. If European parents are discouraged from having kids, and are sometimes even demonised for having them, I can't see people suddenly having larger families.

It's either a case of supporting people to have larger families, or facing an aging population. And when we have an aging population, we will need more migrants.
Maybe. But this thread is about having more European children. If European parents are discouraged from having kids, and are sometimes even demonised for having them, I can't see people suddenly having larger families.

It's either a case of supporting people to have larger families, or facing an aging population. And when we have an aging population, we will need more migrants.

Thats not the point, the point is the ratio between natives and immigrants.

Stop immigrants arriving and that ratio will hardly worsen....
Original post by Maker
That means Britain can send back all the Hungarian immigrants in Britain.

Dont be so mean to me
Reply 13
God bless Hungary and its PM.
Original post by simon_g
it's hard to get Tenerife holidays if you have to care about few kids.

(Prioritise holidays + Prioritise work/jobs/careers)*over kids = Outbred by ethnic minorities

^I guess you want this equation

I would agree on the first comment but It's funny how society doesn't really work that way; less financially able couples are actually having more kids and poorer finance doesn't seem to deter them from doing so. I guess it's a struggle that they are willing to endure.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Not unreasonable for those who want a productive society.

rofl, immigrants and their children are not as productive?

Immigrants will have or rather ought to have European children btw.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
Thats not the point, the point is the ratio between natives and immigrants.

Stop immigrants arriving and that ratio will hardly worsen....

Perhaps. But that is not going to happen, is it? Not for the foreseeable future.

Now, frankly, I am not fussed about where someone is from. And if migrants have children here then, to me, those children are European. Or if migrants obtain citizenship, they are European. Or if they have settled here for quite a few years and consider Europe to be their home, they are European.

Just, some people don't see it that way. So, if they want for there to be more children who are what they consider to be European, they should encourage those families who they feel qualify as European to have more children.

Original post by Raymat

I would agree on the first comment but It's funny how society doesn't really work that way; less financially able couples are actually having more kids and poorer finance doesn't seem to deter them from doing so. I guess it's a struggle that they are willing to endure.

I don't think it's as simple as that. Lots of factors are involved. For example, in certain careers, you need to pretty much dedicate your life to that career in order to advance, which leaves no time to plan a family until you're in, say, your thirties. Which is likely to lead to having a smaller family.

And if you are in low-paid work, with no real prospects of ever advancing, yet you still want a family, then I guess people might wonder why they should wait until they are in their thirties.

I don't know. I don't claim to be an expert on this. I don't have children, nor do I want any. Which also seems to be more common, or at least more acceptable than in the past - the choice to remain child-free.
Now, frankly, I am not fussed about where someone is from.

I would prefer we stop accepting people from particular cultures here who have a tendency to commit more particular crimes and not integrate.
Reply 18
Original post by driftawaay
Dont be so mean to me

Hungary is a lovely place, its full of Hungarians and no immigrants.
Original post by Maker
Hungary is a lovely place, its full of Hungarians and no immigrants.

Hungary is not a lovely place, that is precisely why there are no immigrants!

'Hungary is such a lovely place, my dream is to live there one day! So many job opportunities!' - said No One Ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending