The Student Room Group

Just got kicked out of the house

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Profesh
You should have asked your father to loan you the deposit on your own flat rather than buying you a car whose market value will depreciate to 50% in under five years: you could have paid off that mortgage in record time.

(Supposedly) rich people don't need to be good with money and from an economic standpoint the rest of us shouldn't encourage them :p:
Original post by TheMaster102
Dude these figures are horrendous, you're never going to get rich this way, what waste.

You will be a poor man in an armani suit and a BMW and a ball and chain of debt on his ankle with this kind of spending.

food £600? this budget needs to be cut to about £200. I have no idea what you're eating to spend so much, £300 max, £64 a week is plenty for a single man even if you want to eat well, £600 is just excessive and wasteful.

clothes £200? Dude are you seriously going to spend that much money on clothes EVERY month? if so that's insane man. Most of them will never get worn and you know it, cut this budget right down to £50 MAX, sure you can splash £200+ every so often but every month is just ridic.

Fuel costs can't really go down that much tbh so no help there.

If you cut your cloths and food budget to my suggested level that's a saving of about £550 which will give you about £1300 in total, which is not too shabby at all.

FYI though, I earn a lot less than you but I'm saving at least £1500 in my savings account every month, so my savings will be growing more than yours despite the fact I earn less than half of your salary.

SO really consider if you want to waste your money the way you do. The car is bought, it was a mistake in my opinon but there's nothing you can do about that.

Don't be a poor boy in an armani suit, for gods sake, that's a trap my friend

Original post by TheMaster102
Why would I go to restaurants when my gf cooks better food for me at home, also restaurants are a nice treat at times but if you're serious about getting rich when you're poor you can't do these things.

As far as I'm concerned money is there to be saved until I am rich, until I have 1m in the bank I'm not done "working". You need to work to get that money and you need to save, especially if you're from a poor as family like mine, literally I'm from a family that got 100% of it's income from benefits.

My father was a lousy lunatic communist who lost his job and now lives off benefits, I had no savings, no backing from parents, nothing. I had literally nothing, but now I'm approaching 15k in savings, live in central london, good high paid job etc...

You've got to change your mindset if you want things, my father was a failure because he never thought about money, he only thought about himself and his political beliefs, yet he never actually contributed anything to the world because he was always poor and powerless, he didn't value money, saw money as evil and has no money, my father aged 55 lives with his mother, how tragic... I don't respect my own father one bit, in fact I even resent him a lot for making my life harder by being such a loser.

But at least when I do make It I'll be one of those rich people who truly made it on their own and came from nothing.

Look, my advice for being successful is simple - FOCUS. Literally that is what everyone lacks.

Focus means your prioritise your goal everything else. It means you have to make a lot of sacrifices along the way - your friends, family, hobbies, sleep, whatever.

I am not focused in life right now. Not at all. I don't know about you.

When it comes to 'strategies' for success - there is no right or wrong way to become rich. Everyone has their own path. What is essential is that you find a path or a method that you believe in and you stick to it no matter what. You ignore what other people tell you. Once you believe in something like that, it eventually becomes a self full-filling prophecy.

A silly thing to do is to sit down and analyse what other people have done. The problem is that you can never truly see what decisions and sacrifices other people have made - you only see what the media wants you to see.
Original post by NathanDYEL
Where do you work???

In an office
if you need a loan let me know m8.

I am feeling numb hearing about this asian poverty.
Original post by Louisb19
I mean if you are above 18 why shouldn't you pay rent. If you can afford a nice car you should also be able to pay for a place to live. I know a lot of the people on TSR have opinions about you but I don't have anything against you. It may seem silly that they are making you pay rent since they are not even using it but maybe you should view this as an opportunity to repay your parents, you don't know how your parents are doing financially and giving them some help would probably mean more to them than you would think. When I'm earning I will definitely give some help to my parents since they supported me for 18 years of my life.

I guess you're right. It came as a shock because in my culture, parents spend unreservedly on their children - they certainly don't ask you for rent. But I can see their perspective I guess.
Original post by william walker
So is the £480 for the mortgage that your parents have to pay on the flat?

Yup
Original post by DarkMagic
Bib: Yes it is, you could buy an iPhone and still have some left over. That's nearly as much as some people earn per month before bills are taken out so you're extremely lucky.

How can you spend £600 each on food and transport though? How many people are you feeding?
I really doubt you need to spend £200 on clothes every month too.

Clothes will be the odd thing that needs replacing - so socks, sometimes trousers, a new shirt or some perfume, an umbrella, new shoes etc etc

Food - I generally shop weekly at M&S Simply Food or Waitrose. It costs about £60-70. Then I eat out every lunch time and most dinners - that all adds up.

I used to just knick things from home but they dont let me do that anymore.
Original post by hellodave5
When you say 'essential', many really aren't essential.
How do you manage to spend 600 a month on food? 200 on clothes? You don't have to throw away previous clothes you realise :tongue:
Options I can see is: move somewhere more reasonable or get rid of the extremely expensive car if possible (1,200 on car and fuel per month!!)
Even still, sounds like you're living extremely well... I mean... £600 on food...

So i spend about 60-70 per week on a weekly shop. But I also eat all my lunches outside and some of my dinners. So all that adds up.

Clothes it would be the odd item

- £120 perfume, £100 shirt, £120 trouser etc - so im finding that every month, something or other needs replacing. I have lost a lot of weight last year and a lot of my old clothes are far too big for me.
Original post by Awesome Genius
Yup

Well in that case you should argue that since you are paying the mortgage that you should own the flat. That your parents should give it to you once the mortgage is paid off. So then you have an asset which would be worth putting the £480 a month into. I think you could also look at extending the mortgage or changing it so you don't have to pay as much each month. Or so you pay more, and pay it off quicker.
Ha. Ha.
Well in that case you should argue that since you are paying the mortgage that you should own the flat. That your parents should give it to you once the mortgage is paid off. So then you have an asset which would be worth putting the £480 a month into. I think you could also look at extending the mortgage or changing it so you don't have to pay as much each month. Or so you pay more, and pay it off quicker.

Yeh well they did pay the deposit in its full so I can see there point of view.

My only issue is that we kind of agreed that I wouldn't start paying the mortgage till I had a reliable job. Right now, some of my income is ad hoc - its not guaranteed. Also, asian parents don't usually charge their children for rent.
Yeh well they did pay the deposit in its full so I can see there point of view.

My only issue is that we kind of agreed that I wouldn't start paying the mortgage till I had a reliable job. Right now, some of my income is ad hoc - its not guaranteed. Also, asian parents don't usually charge their children for rent.

How much was the deposit?
Who the hell spends £200 on clothes every month? Dude, get a grip.
£250,000

They took out a mortgage for the rest, which is about £520k and the monthly repayments are around £1800-1900.

How much was the deposit?
Original post by MsFahima
Who the hell spends £200 on clothes every month? Dude, get a grip.

Yeah I don't think I have spent £200 on clothes in the past two years.
Look, my advice for being successful is simple - FOCUS. Literally that is what everyone lacks.

Focus means your prioritise your goal everything else. It means you have to make a lot of sacrifices along the way - your friends, family, hobbies, sleep, whatever.

I am not focused in life right now. Not at all. I don't know about you.

When it comes to 'strategies' for success - there is no right or wrong way to become rich. Everyone has their own path. What is essential is that you find a path or a method that you believe in and you stick to it no matter what. You ignore what other people tell you. Once you believe in something like that, it eventually becomes a self full-filling prophecy.

A silly thing to do is to sit down and analyse what other people have done. The problem is that you can never truly see what decisions and sacrifices other people have made - you only see what the media wants you to see.

I think I do have focus, laser beam precision focus.

I sacrfice everything, I don't have a minute of free time. I'm always either at work, or as soon as I come home I'm working on a personal app of mine, I am always working literally. Even in my lunch break I'm working on projects and apps and releasing them on google play.

I've made and sold about 5 in the last 3 months.

I definitely have the focus and discipline, I don't think I could do more than I do, it's literally every waking hour I'm working. Thats how it needs to be if you want to really make it, I don't even want to be a millionare my friend. I'm aiming for the jackpot, billions even, I want to make so much money that my family and descendants will be set for life and they can enjoy a life I never got too. The fruits of my labour if you will, it's not JUST the money though.

I want the power and influence that comes from the money and to do my part to shape the world as I see fit, I also want to contribute my mind to the world because I believe I have a lot to offer, who knows maybe one day one of my software inventions will become something mainstream that will change the world, who knows.
(edited 8 years ago)
£250,000

They took out a mortgage for the rest, which is about £520k and the monthly repayments are around £1800-1900.

What the hell. A flat cost £770,000? You could buy my house, my grand parents house and both the houses my dad owns for that. Total rip off.
Nobody needs to buy clothes on a monthly basis, that's just bananas. Twice a year, once during the colder months and once during the warmer months, go through your wardrobe, remind yourself of the clothes that you have and work out what you actually need to buy. Don't buy clothes throughout the year unless you actually need something and can't wait for it.
In an office

What as? And are you a student or just here to try and get some nudes :biggrin:
Just been on the phone to shelter.org.

They will rehouse you in a multi million pound property in Kensington.

#LabourLegacy

Quick Reply

Latest