The Student Room Group

Why the uproar about scrapping of grants?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LordGaben
Very interesting point. Talking to the current Labour party would be like talking to a brick wall about this issue haha. Also monthly repayments are now smaller than they were under the Labour repayment system. The Lib Dems thought that tuition fees could be scrapped but then they went into government and reality struck.

You know that this makes no difference. All that matters, apparently, is the headline number. So, for instance, the fee changes from 3 to 9k are still evil even though lower-earning graduates pay less in absolute terms under the new system.

Also, scrapping the grants is just going to deter people from poorer backgrounds from attending university, just as totally, definitely happened after the same thing was predicted with the 9k change.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You know that this makes no difference. All that matters, apparently, is the headline number. So, for instance, the fee changes from 3 to 9k are still evil even though lower-earning graduates pay less in absolute terms under the new system.

Also, scrapping the grants is just going to deter people from poorer backgrounds from attending university, just as totally, definitely happened after the same thing was predicted with the 9k change.

The IFS commented on the changes with these points:

Spoiler

I just don't see why people are making such a big deal over it. It is frustrating that everyone except low earning graduates have to pay significantly more but with more applicants applying each year I suppose universities need more funding and the vast majority don't pay back the full loan anyway. I just looked at the lib dem website on the tuition fee changes and their simplified data showed graduates up to 50k paying less each month than under the Labour system. Maybe its the length of repayments that is leading to greater lifetime repayment compared to before? I'm not sure.
Original post by Andy98
I'm more annoyed that the loan that replaced the grant is based on household income; meaning I won't actually get enough to pay rent.

Tell me about it!

I'm in the same boat.
Original post by misscaricature
Because students from poorer families would have to get a bigger loan and repay more putting them at a disadvantage. The grant system somewhat balanced that out.

if they get a job paying well.......

therefore how does this matter?
Reply 64
Original post by The Blue Axolotl
Tell me about it!

I'm in the same boat.

PRSOM

Quick Reply

Latest