The Student Room Group

Mum literally just told me to change most of my a level options

So my dad is abroad at the moment, and i am living with only my mum. I'm doing my gcse' and in January we pick our a level subjects

i wanted to pick: English Lit, Biology, Psychology (for as maybe?) and Physics/Maths at alevel

I'm not underachieving in any of these and i think i might study, Psychology/Broadcasting/maybe something to do with biology or people at uni

Despite all of this, my mum has told me to not to pick lit because its really hard (doesn't think i can do it), I shouldn't pick psychology because i wont be able to get a job and i shouldn't do it at uni because i wouldn't be able to get a job there either.

Is there any truth to what she is saying, i mean aren't all a levels hard regardless of what you do. i know I am picking demanding subjects but that's because i enjoy them. Should i scrap everything all together and pick other options or is she bull****ting?

Scroll to see replies

I would say it's your decision and those are good subjects. They are hard, yes, but they're broad in scope too.
Reply 2
Literally tell your mum to change most of her perspectives.
Pick subjects that you enjoy and the ones that you need for for the area that you want to study a degree in.

When studying a degree it's really important that you're enjoying it / have the ability, rather than not having either of those and just doing it for the prospects.
Reply 4
Original post by picklescamp
I would say it's your decision and those are good subjects. They are hard, yes, but they're broad in scope too.

Thanks for the response, I always thought they were generally good options but my mum says no. Either way, I will do what i want but im not sure if shes stopping me from going into a blackhole or actually holding me back?
pick subjects that you enjoy is the bottom line.
Do what you feel happy with, not with what your Mom wants you to do.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Pick subjects that you enjoy and the ones that you need for for the area that you want to study a degree in.

When studying a degree it's really important that you're enjoying it / have the ability, rather than not having either of those and just doing it for the prospects.

She did that with my sister, and my sister went to york to study engineering, realised she hated it and changed her course. My mum is always pushing one of us to be a doctor, i don't know why she cant understand that none of us want to do jobs like that. My dad isn't here to side with me so i fear that shes gonna force me to change them
Original post by Anonymous
So my dad is abroad at the moment, and i am living with only my mum. I'm doing my gcse' and in January we pick our a level subjects

i wanted to pick: English Lit, Biology, Psychology (for as maybe?) and Physics/Maths at alevel

I'm not underachieving in any of these and i think i might study, Psychology/Broadcasting/maybe something to do with biology or people at uni

Despite all of this, my mum has told me to not to pick lit because its really hard (doesn't think i can do it), I shouldn't pick psychology because i wont be able to get a job and i shouldn't do it at uni because i wouldn't be able to get a job there either.

Is there any truth to what she is saying, i mean aren't all a levels hard regardless of what you do. i know I am picking demanding subjects but that's because i enjoy them. Should i scrap everything all together and pick other options or is she bull****ting?

You know yourself what subjects you are good at and what you will enjoy. I think you have a good set of subjects there, English Lit, Physics, Maths and Biology are all traditional core subjects that will allow you to do a lot of different university courses. I can't say much about Psychology as I don't know much about it sorry.
Reply 9
Yes, psychology is a useless subject and a waste of time at uni. There are thousands of worthless psychology degree holders floating around. Do something worthwhile.
Original post by Haderz
Yes, psychology is a useless subject and a waste of time at uni. There are thousands of worthless psychology degree holders floating around. Do something worthwhile.

like?
Reply 11
Why would you mother have a say in your A-Level options?
In what way, would she force you?
Do what YOU want to do. If you do what your mum wants you to, and you hate it- whats the point.

Do what you want to do, so it will be enjoyable for you!
She did that with my sister, and my sister went to york to study engineering, realised she hated it and changed her course. My mum is always pushing one of us to be a doctor, i don't know why she cant understand that none of us want to do jobs like that. My dad isn't here to side with me so i fear that shes gonna force me to change them

If you think your dad would side with you then reach out to him, but it's tough because you don't want to create a rift between him and your mum.

My guess is that you're from a particular culture where a lot of parents want their children to be doctors and sometimes parents don't quite get how difficult it actually is or what kind of things are important for success.
Original post by FahzB
Why would you mother have a say in your A-Level options?
In what way, would she force you?

probably cut me off, or say that i could never come to her for adivce...hence why im here tbf
Reply 15
Financially?
Aren't you 15/16? Why would you need money?

Do you think you'll ever need her advice?

At the end of the day, it's your life.
I agree with everyone else. Pick the subjects you are confident in and that you will enjoy. Speak to the subject teachers if you're really concerned.

All I would say is that make sure you are at least 90% confident in them and that they will enable you to go into your desired career, be successful and have a life worth living and that they will also make you want to learn.

Talk to your mum and try and get her to understand. If that doesn't work, SHOW her. Do your research, find some facts or whatever about salaries of people who work in x or if a certain subject will benefit you with uni, jobs, life or talk to people in sixth form who do your desired subjects. Make her know that you are serious and certainly capable of getting top grades in them!

Good luck!

P.S Def do maths and bio - they're my fav subjects atm. Although mechanics is way too hard. I did choose to take Psychology at first (don't regret it as it turned out to be way different than i thought it would be like) but changed my mind to Spanish. I didn't do English Lit but from what my friends have said, they really enjoy it! English just isn't my thing! But don't worry, you DO have time to go back and change it. You have a lot of time to think so don't get too stressed just yet. Take care!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Is this a paper form?

If so, let her fill it in and on the way to school throw it away.

When you get to school tell them you need a new form, fill it in and hand it in.

Just because she thinks her life was a failure does not give her the right to make you fail in yours too.

Exact opposite for me. Dad really wants me/sis to be a doctor and we've had a LOT of fights about it. Thing is I want to be a vet. Not EXTREMELY opposite but my dad seems to think so. I am so grateful to have my mum's support.
Reply 19
I do Eng lit Alevel and Psychology they are not hard at all, yes it does require a lot of work, and you can get jobs with these type of degrees. Do some research and do what you want to do, at the end of the day you're going to be sitting the exams not your mum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending