The Student Room Group

Revision

Hi all. I have my mock exams coming up in a couple weeks and I really want to do well. However, I'm having difficulty effectively revising for science... Any thoughts? xx
hey, i have got to clean my G pigs out but i will come back and edited this post in a minute :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
hey, i have got to clean my G pigs out but i will come back and edited this post in a minute :smile:

Cheers :smile: x
Original post by StressedBrain
Cheers :smile: x

hey, back :smile:
are you doing double award or triple science btw? just out of interest. anyway i did my GCSE's this year and this is how i revised:

-I wrote my own notes, personally i find this more effective than jsut reading a textbook or revision guide. Put the notes into your own words so you undestand it better and don't just blindly copy as this isn't helpful.
-Do read the revision guides and textbooks as well though and pay particular attention to the diagrams as often the diagrams are just as important (sometimes more so) than the text. If you need to be able to draw certain things such as hydrocarbon chains for example practise drawing the different examples of these e.g methane, propane etc
-Make up your own memonics for things you find hard to remember, one I used to use for the hydrocarbons was Men Easily Prefer Blondes. As cheesy as it sounds they are actually helpful.
-Learn the specification, i found that the questions in the science papers were usually the same variations of the same question and many have a set answer that the exam board is looking for. If you learn this set answer (e.g a definition or phrase) you will easily pick up those 1 and 2 mark answers.
-Finally do loads of practise papers for your exam board. this experience is vital and gives you a good feel for how the questions are phrased and asked.

this all worked well for me (A*s in all 3), i have heard other people use mind maps and post it notes, personally i didn't but experiment and see what heps you.

lastly good luck with ur mocks :smile:
i'll call in the science pro @jamestg to see if he has any other tips to add :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest