The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year

Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Why is rape and sexual assaults rampant in the u.k?

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

[video]https://youtu.be/25-G75Lz5x0[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would beneficial to other women if members here who have been sexually assaulted or know others who have been tell us about their ordeal.
that's crazy! How do we stop this rape culture!?
Reply 3
Here just one example of a pedophile gang raping young girls

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333420/Paedophile-ring-groomed-young-girls-abusing-cottage.html

Six paedophiles who plied girls as young as five with drugs before subjecting them to sickening *sexual abuse have been jailed.As many as 30 young victims are believed to have been targeted by the gang led by convicted sex offender John Barrett, who groomed them with cigarettes and then passed them on to other men.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bill_Gates
that's crazy! How do we stop this rape culture!?

Seems like people in Britain don't care, since not much is being done to tackle these absurdly high amounts of rape.
Reply 5
Original post by slade p
Seems like people in Britain don't care, since not much is being done to tackle these absurdly high amounts of rape.

How do you 'tackle' rape? What can you do to prevent rape?
Original post by slade p

Hm read about it all the time on the news. No moral back bone! nothing new.
Reply 7
Original post by JD1lla
How do you 'tackle' rape? What can you do to prevent rape?

Yes Einstein that's what I meant.

You have any ideas of how to lessen these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults?

Why is so little done in u.k about it considering these numbers?
I didn't know that many men get raped!
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I blame the immergrents

Yet they can still spell better than you.
Reply 10
I blame the immergrents

Most of the rape is done by someone known to the victim. 90% of it is so that theory is wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by slade p
Yes Einstein that's what I meant.

You have any ideas of how to lessen these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults?

Why is so little done in u.k about it considering these numbers?

Did you read my post?

What CAN be done? How do you prevent rape?
Reply 12
Original post by hoping4Astars
I didn't know that many men get raped!

Because the media and organisations don't show the problem for what it is, which proves the u.k doesn't care about of these people getting raped. Rape culture has been accepted in the u.k.
Reply 13
Original post by JD1lla
Did you read my post?

What CAN be done? How do you prevent rape?

Yes what can be done to prevent these shocking amount of rapes? Atleast so that it's not as as prevelant as it is.
Original post by slade p
Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year...

It should be noted that the 85,000 figure is an estimate and the high end of the estimate at that.

Perhaps you should also mention that the actual number of reported rapes (of women) in 2011/12 (the latest year the report gets its data from) is 14,767.
While this is still 14,767 too many and the number is likely to be higher (due to unwillingness of victims to come forward) I think the 85,000 number isn't really based on anything at all.
I blame the immergrents

I blame MP's and other high ups in society who also got protected by the police.
As well as the Christian church.
(In addition to immigration, but you can't just lay the blame at one group).
Reply 16
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
It should be noted that the 85,000 figure is an estimate and the high end of the estimate at that.

Perhaps you should also mention that the actual number of reported rapes (of women) in 2011/12 (the latest year the report gets its data from) is 14,767.
While this is still 14,767 too many and the number is likely to be higher (due to unwillingness of victims to come forward) I think the 85,000 number isn't really based on anything at all.

Even the 14,000 would mean the u.k has among the highest rates of rape in the world at 28 rapes per 100,000 people but most rapes will not be reported so 85,000 is a good estimate which is most likely the least amount of women who are raped in the u.k
I generally would not go around claiming such statistics, given the "rate" of rape reports to police and prosecution. Consent as a legal concept depends highly on the context of the case, and the testimonial evidence given by supposed victims have not been examined by the courts. So basically the number stated by the report is of rape accusations, not actual occurrences of rape itself.
That equates to 0.2% of the female population. Totally a culture.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
There is no rape culture in the UK, since rape is taken very seriously. It's worse in most countries outside Europe.

Latest