The Student Room Group

Just got kicked out of the house

My parents visited me at my flat this morning. They were in a bad mood - or at least my mum was. They started having a go at me about my spending and stuff.

They made some ludicrous point about how I am earning so I should be paying rent even though we agreed I was keeping their flat safe for them.

And then the unthinkable happened - they effectively kicked me out of the house. They are demanding that I pay £480 a month to live in their flat.

Just don't know what to think right now, feeling kinda numb.

Scroll to see replies

This makes things so difficult for me. Just think every month I am paying £1100 out of my salary now - £600 car and £500 crib.
Lol find a single post of me saying I have loads of money and I will leave TSR forever.

I don't - I have a good income, and I DID have my rent paid for me until this weekend.
*Waits with apprehension for the arrival of MrAwesomeGenius*
@MrAwesomeGenius is this true?

AG wait til they calm down then have a convo with them about ur situation. They might help u out then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well the rent is approx 33% of what they reckon the rent would be if they rented to someone else. But I am trying.
Original post by Awesome Genius
Lol find a single post of me saying I have loads of money and I will leave TSR forever.

I don't - I have a good income, and I DID have my rent paid for me until this weekend.

I think I may recall :wink:

Percentage terms, how much money do you have left for stuff after those big expenses? May have to look at commuting if its too expensive to live where you are.
Some people in this world have no money. No shelter. No food.

How do you think they feel?
You claim you earn £60k and you're whinging about having to pay £480 a month?
My parents visited me at my flat this morning. They were in a bad mood - or at least my mum was. They started having a go at me about my spending and stuff.

They made some ludicrous point about how I am earning so I should be paying rent even though we agreed I was keeping their flat safe for them.

And then the unthinkable happened - they effectively kicked me out of the house. They are demanding that I pay £480 a month to live in their flat.

Just don't know what to think right now, feeling kinda numb.

Well to be honest, considering you have just revealed you have your BMW paid in installments rather than up front they're sort of right in their worry I mean, the BMW coupe costs about 20 grand second hand, no idea how much it would be new and I'm assuming you got it new, so you're paying £500 a month for that and 480 for rent, which will roughly be a grand a month not including expenditure, petrol food etc which will (at least be about 200-300) if you're frugal.

You claim to earn 65k so before tax you make about 45k a year after tax and £3,752 a month

So minus your expenses, you will have about £2,400 a month to play with and save, that's pretty sweet.

I wouldn't worry about your expenses so much... if you do want to be a millionare though which I suspect you do, you wont get there working in a job anyway so I'd consider finding a way to become self employed or starting a business if you really want to stop caring about money.

This is my plan, eventually
(edited 8 years ago)
Stop crying now Awesome. Your mother has gone to get the soap. You really must stop climbing into your sister's Wendy house and playing with her dolls, you've gone and got yourself wedged in the window.

We've told you before, we are a respectable family. You need to stop playing with girl's toys, it will give you wrong ideas. I'm going to buy you some more toy soldiers, we want to make a man out of you.
Original post by hellodave5
I think I may recall :wink:

Percentage terms, how much money do you have left for stuff after those big expenses? May have to look at commuting if its too expensive to live where you are.

Last month,

Income stream 1 = £2650
Income stream 2 = £850

Total 3500

Outgoings (potential from next month)

Car 600
Rent 500
Clothes 200
Transport & Fuel 600
Food 600
Bills 200

= £2700 ish

I'd have only £800 left after all essential expenses.

That is not even enough to buy an iPhone.
(edited 8 years ago)
This makes things so difficult for me. Just think every month I am paying £1100 out of my salary now - £600 car and £500 crib.

You should have asked your father to loan you the deposit on your own flat rather than buying you a car whose market value will depreciate to 50% in under five years: you could have paid off that mortgage in record time.
Original post by TheMaster102
Well to be honest, considering you have just revealed you have your BMW paid in installments rather than up front they're sort of right in their worry I mean, the BMW coupe costs about 20 grand second hand, no idea how much it would be new and I'm assuming you got it new, so you're paying £500 a month for that and 480 for rent, which will roughly be a grand a month not including expenditure, petrol food etc which will (at least be about 200-300) if you're frugal.

You claim to earn 65k so before tax you make about 45k a year after tax and £3,752 a month

So minus your expenses, you will have about £2,400 a month to play with and save, that's pretty sweet.

I wouldn't worry about your expenses so much... if you do want to be a millionare though which I suspect you do, you wont get there working in a job anyway so I'd consider finding a way to become self employed or starting a business if you really want to stop caring about money.

This is my plan, eventually

I stated the figures above. Expenses are much worse than you think!

As far as getting rich, first you have to find a good job, build experience and contacts and then the amount of capital you start with is not *that* important - it's more about convincing people to invest in you.
You really have no idea how lucky you really.

You sound like a spoilt brat. Seriously, grow up!
Original post by Profesh
You should have asked your father to loan you the deposit on your own flat rather than buying you a car whose market value will depreciate to 50% in under five years: you could have paid off that mortgage in record time.

What happened is that they bought the flat as an investment and we agreed that they'd pay the mortgage until I have a stable job - right now it's a bit dodgy. Then im supposed to takeover the mortgage.They paid the entire deposit. Hence i thought the car would be a good idea.

They have now reconsidered the situation and decided to make me some rent since they consider my current form of employment as "stable" - even tho I'm effectively doing two jobs and one of them is on an ad-hoc basis.

The most 'first world problem' thing I've read in a while :lol:

By your maths you have enough to pay? All my friends who have jobs and earn a salary (Albeit much less compared to you) have to pay their parents rent?
1. You're earning money.
2. £800 left over is more than enough to live off and more. If you want to live an extravagant lifestyle you should not have your parents effectively paying for it.
3. You're sitting in your parents flat and they're losing revenue
4. They probably have other reasons which you're not sharing
5. They are right, it's more expensive to move out, so it is cheaper for you to pay rent
I stated the figures above. Expenses are much worse than you think!

As far as getting rich, first you have to find a good job, build experience and contacts and then the amount of capital you start with is not *that* important - it's more about convincing people to invest in you.

I don't know man I mean I think that whilst I agree with you on the capital thing and that you need to convince people to invest in you, being creative will get you very far too, see you mocked me for being a programmer but it's going to really help me when I want to build my software company because I'll be able to make the prototype app on my own and then pitch it, whereas other people will have to rely on hiring others who may be flaky or untrustworthy, personally I'd never share my ideas with anyone after being stabbed in the back in a business venture back in 13'.

You should consider cutting down your expenses too, It's great you have a high paid job, but you will never be rich if you spend too much, trust me on this. The richest people in this world don't spend until they have the big bucks. until you've got 1m in the bank I don't think there's any point owning a sportscar, it just drains very much needed capitol you can put to gaining more.

After all, wealth is exponential, the more you have the easier it is to obtain more, the less you have the harder it is to get that critical mass going.

If you make cuts to your expenses then you will be able to capitalize on that later on, if you don't you will end up stagnating.

I know the rich; even though my family is poor, my gf is from a multi million $ family who own hospitals, resorts, you name it they have their hands in it. Properties all over the world etc. She taught me a lot about what you need to make it, and she's been instilled her whole life to be frugal and not to spend, it's how the rich become richer, in a way it's the secret to being rich. Never splash out, save, invest. consider assets/liabilities. A car is a liability and a deprecating asset etc etc.

Honestly mang, listen to me I know my **** :wink:

Even if I'm just an employee now, believe me in the future I'ma be balling; my plan is all set out. All i need is time
(edited 8 years ago)
Last month,

Income stream 1 = £2650
Income stream 2 = £850

Total 3500

Outgoings (potential from next month)

Car 600
Rent 500
Clothes 200
Transport & Fuel 600
Food 600
Bills 200

= £2700 ish

I'd have only £800 left after all essential expenses.

When you say 'essential', many really aren't essential.
How do you manage to spend 600 a month on food? 200 on clothes? You don't have to throw away previous clothes you realise :tongue:
Options I can see is: move somewhere more reasonable or get rid of the extremely expensive car if possible (1,200 on car and fuel per month!!)
Even still, sounds like you're living extremely well... I mean... £600 on food...

Quick Reply

Latest