The Student Room Group

I'm a feminist, ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ItsLyanna
Title says it all - I'm bored and would like to see what the general perception of feminism is on here. Ask away! ^^

"Nice guys finish last". Discuss your view on this statement from your feminist viewpoint.
Original post by i<3milkshake
"Nice guys finish last". Discuss your view on this statement from your feminist viewpoint.

A well known Internet feminist scholar did a feminist video on this

[video="youtube;3RA4r6cokBE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RA4r6cokBE[/video]
Original post by i<3milkshake

Aha, 'nice guys' aren't actually 'nice' though - having been one of them during secondary school, and looking back cringing. They treat one particular person especially well (often in a very creepy manner) because they want something out of them, not because they are necessarily nice people in general - most people can see right through that and rightly avoid those kinds of people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pro Crastination
Aha, 'nice guys' aren't actually 'nice' though - having been one of them during secondary school, and looking back cringing. They treat one particular person especially well (often in a very creepy manner) because they want something out of them, not because they are necessarily nice people in general.

I posted a video by a feminist scholar above explaining this (@ChickenMadness, u aware?), also thanks for your suggestions on the other thread :yep:
Original post by St. Brynjar
This article, written by a guy, sums up a few of my thoughts on the issue personally.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2014/09/25/why-i-prefer-the-word-feminist-over-equalist/comment-page-2/

I read through that article which as much as it is well written I disagree with the base premise they are using. the 80p to the £1 wage agruement which (in the UK) has been proven to be a moot number on many occasions (although I hear the old US study of 70 cents to the dollar chucked around a LOT). It is really easy to understand if you just take a step back and look at the numbers and how they are formed.

Women and minority groups in the UK have been given every opportunity to better themselves in the last ~20 years in the UK. If you disagree with this then I ask you to cite the last time there has been a "Stem apprenticeship for young men!" or "Grant for ethnic white students" campaign, outside of some dodgy private schools (see: Eton) there has been nowt. There is no problem with this however with numbers which have cropped up in the last few years you are going to begin to see the opposite issue. Already we are seeing woman between the ages of 16-30 earning on average considerably more than there male counterparts (source & detailed numbers will be below). However it drops of somewhat after 30-40 with men in there 50s earning more than woman. This ISNT an issue of opportunity. This ISNT an issue of sexism in senior positions, this is entirely an issue of societal norms. It is the norm in todays UK that if a family is started the mother (who has already taken months out of her work to rear the kid) will cut her hours voluntarily and look after the child.

So how do we fix THAT? To be honest I dont know. It is a very complicated issue that infact many many woman are happy with (they ARE voluntarily giving up their careers for it). However what I do know is that because of the sheer lack of woman seeking these high paying senior positions due to societal norms no amount of increased opportunity is going to fix this. Feminist MPs have been trying to get numbers up by trying to introduce quotas but ultimately all this will do is hurt buisness as it gives them a FAR smaller pool of people to recruit from for their most senior positons.

So yes Egalitarianism recognises that this is a relative non-issue. Societal norms will change overtime. It may take a few generations though. Hell there are still people around nowadays who feel the feminist movement a way back in the 50s was wrong and that all it has done is make life worse for working families (my gran is one of these people and it is actually a fairly interesting debate). Anywho slowly but surely these people will die off and slowly but surely expectations on woman will erode, short term slap and dash fixes only cause controversy and hostility as they are then hurting the group they are trying to become equal to. Lowering the bar for everyone.

16-30 wage figures:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/nov/27/young-women-earning-more-men
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RiotGirll
I posted a video by a feminist scholar above explaining this (@ChickenMadness, u aware?), also thanks for your suggestions on the other thread :yep:

No probs!(Just had some of this stuff as part of my dinner aha, 21g of protein for every 200 cal ^^.) The guy in the video you posted seems to have a very Darwinian take on social situations, I think he might just be on the opposite end of the 'nice guy' spectrum haha.
No probs!(Just had some of this stuff as part of my dinner aha, 21g of protein for every 200 cal ^^.) The guy in the video you posted seems to have a very Darwinian take on social situations, I think he might just be on the opposite end of the 'nice guy' spectrum haha.

Are those good? I don't like the taste of quorn lol but that looks nice

He's a bit blunt but he's doing a PhD now I think, he studied Women's Studies in Australia and posts feminist videos on his channel. Interesting POV
Are those good? I don't like the taste of quorn lol but that looks nice

He's a bit blunt but he's doing a PhD now I think, he studied Women's Studies in Australia and posts feminist videos on his channel. Interesting POV

I always found the texture of Quorn to not be chewy enough (compared to real mince meat), so I was pleasantly surprised when I found Sainsburys own stuff which was - most Quorn stuff isn't vegan friendly, anyway. It's worth trying given the fact it's £1.50 for 450g instead of £4.00 for 500g (Sainsbury's own real mince).

Anyway, back to this topic, I really wouldn't have thought that given his 'alpha as ****' tirade in the video! (Maybe he just has a very rigid idea of what masculinity means.)
Out of interest, why do you perceive it as a 'movement for women'?

It's a movement which seeks to achieve gender equality through the empowerment of women. Nothing wrong with that - many of the social stigmas men face can be addressed through feminism. Think of the whole bull**** macho culture, phrases like 'You kick like a girl' etc. - I think women are grossly and disproportionately marginalised by society and similarly to the Black Lives Matter movement, women and womens' rights need to be at the heart of the movement.
It's a movement which seeks to achieve gender equality through the empowerment of women. Nothing wrong with that - many of the social stigmas men face can be addressed through feminism. Think of the whole bull**** macho culture, phrases like 'You kick like a girl' etc. - I think women are grossly and disproportionately marginalised by society and similarly to the Black Lives Matter movement, women and womens' rights need to be at the heart of the movement.

Oh sorry, perhaps I misunderstood what you said with your previous post. I'd assumed that when you said it was a 'movement for women' you meant that it was not the business of men to be too involved in it.
Oh sorry, perhaps I misunderstood what you said with your previous post. I'd assumed that when you said it was a 'movement for women' you meant that it was not the business of men to be too involved in it.

Oh, fair enough. I know some feminists who feel it should be an uncompromising movement without male involvement, otherwise it'll just reinforce notions of dependency. I'm not sure that's a particularly pragmatic view, as dialogue and education are surely fundamental to any equality movement, but I don't want to just claim the tag 'feminist' willy-nilly, when some people I know would object to it.
Oh, fair enough. I know some feminists who feel it should be an uncompromising movement without male involvement, otherwise it'll just reinforce notions of dependency. I'm not sure that's a particularly pragmatic view, as dialogue and education are surely fundamental to any equality movement, but I don't want to just claim the tag 'feminist' willy-nilly, when some people I know would object to it.

Fair enough, thanks for the response!
Aha, 'nice guys' aren't actually 'nice' though - having been one of them during secondary school, and looking back cringing. They treat one particular person especially well (often in a very creepy manner) because they want something out of them, not because they are necessarily nice people in general - most people can see right through that and rightly avoid those kinds of people.

I never said I agreed with the statement, just thought it would be interesting to see what girls thought about it.

As a guy I see it as so cringeworthy when someone tries to suck up to someone and so hilarious when it doesn't work and they get pissed off.

A well known Internet feminist scholar did a feminist video on this

This guy does not seem even remotely like any kind of scholar I have ever seen:tongue:
he thinks he is, but he really is just obnoxious and generally crass from what I can see of this video anyway.
Reply 33
I'm not a feminist

What do you mean you're not a feminist, what don't you agree with about the movement ?
Reply 34
feminism is a cancer in all its glory. if you fight for equal rights you are an Egalitarian.
feminism causes women to hate men, and they allow for unhealthy habits especially with the while 'fat acceptance/fat is beautiful' bull****
I'm a male chauvinist who believes that women are inherently inferior to men and therefore should be protected by them - can you convince me that I'm wrong?
Reply 36
I'm a lesbian.
Reply 37
So am I, I'd like to think. What do you think when you see stuff like this?

I think it's absolutely disgusting for a woman to say that. Her career may have been directly affected by assumptions like that, and so her saying it is remarkably ignorant.
Reply 38
What do you feel about the role of men in feminism? I shy away from the label 'feminist', not out of disrespect for the movement, but because I'm aware it's not a black-and-white issue and I'd rather not be seen to appropriate a term and a movement for women.

It's great! Seriously, guys are also negatively affected by the patriarchy, so seeing y'all help to destroy it is great ^^
Reply 39
Original post by DrID
Are you the sort that believes in equality of all people regardless of gender. Or are you the sort that thinks that women are fundamentally in some way better than men?

Of course. I consider myself a radical feminist, but I'm certainly not a sexist.

Quick Reply

Latest