The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
'Vile and depraved' UK gang raped and abused babies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32413502

The UK-wide gang raped and abused babies and young children, streaming the attacks online to fellow members.John Denham, 49, and Matthew Stansfield, 34, had denied plotting sex crimes against the victims.
Five others pleaded guilty to offences including rape of a child and conspiracy to rape at an earlier hearing. They are:

Robin Hollyson, 30, from Bedfordshire

Christopher Knight, 35, from Manchester

David Harsley, 51, from Hull

Matthew Lisk, 32, from East Sussex

Adam Toms, 33, from Somerset

(edited 8 years ago)
If you want to see a rape culture look at South Africa and Democratic republic of Congo.
Original post by i<3milkshake
I blame MP's and other high ups in society who also got protected by the police.
As well as the Christian church.
(In addition to immigration, but you can't just lay the blame at one group).

U guys dont get sarcasm do u
Reply 43
Original post by Kadak
If you want to see a rape culture look at South Africa and Democratic republic of Congo.

rape culture exists in britain too, the amount of rapes and sexual assault is staggering.
Reply 44
Original post by slade p
Rape is not taken seriously in UK. It is hardly covered in the UK by media or other organisations. Most people were not aware of these stats which proves that it is being brushed aside. It has become normal for women in UK to be raped or sexually assaulted. They are terrified to walk alone at night.

5/10 made me reply
Reply 45
Original post by demx9
5/10 made me reply

what do you think about the rape stats in uk? did you know about them? or did you not know about it because its not highlighted in the UK which doesnt want to deal with it.
Original post by Trevormacdonald
U guys dont get sarcasm do u

I do, it is just that poor attempts at it are hard to distinguish, especially when all you have to go on is just a line of text.
Original post by slade p
Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Why is rape and sexual assaults rampant in the u.k?

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

Well if you left wingers stopped blocking a return of the death penalty for things like rape it would drastically reduce the number but oh I forgot in your world the rights of the offender > the victim's rights
Reply 48
Original post by slade p
what do you think about the rape stats in uk? did you know about them? or did you not know about it because its not highlighted in the UK which doesnt want to deal with it.

I'm not saying it's perfect but you can't seriously say women are afraid of walking in the night ..
Original post by slade p

Rape cases against women are almost always highlighted :tongue:. I'm dubious of that 1 in 5 figure.
Reply 50
a rape culture is a culture in which rape is considered normal and accepted. The UK is not a rape culture because rape is illegal and people are sent to prison for raping, and can have their lives ruined simply for being accused of rape.

also, having high rape statistics doesn't necessarily mean that there is a rape culture. The rape issue may be a serious problem, but that doesn't mean that it's accepted culturally. The only thing that could prove the UK to be a rape culture would be a scientific survey of people's views on rape.

So you're wrong.
Thought this was thread about 'UK Rap Culture'...
:getmecoat:
Reply 52
Original post by okey
a rape culture is a culture in which rape is considered normal and accepted. The UK is not a rape culture because rape is illegal and people are sent to prison for raping, and can have their lives ruined simply for being accused of rape.

also, having high rape statistics doesn't necessarily mean that there is a rape culture. The rape issue may be a serious problem, but that doesn't mean that it's accepted culturally. The only thing that could prove the UK to be a rape culture would be a scientific survey of people's views on rape.

So you're wrong.

The point is that he uk has shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults which is not being taken seriously, which means it will continue to be like this and probably even increase constantly.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I blame the immergrents

Original post by hoping4Astars
Yet they can still spell better than you.

Original post by slade p
Most of the rape is done by someone known to the victim. 90% of it is so that theory is wrong.

Original post by i<3milkshake
I blame MP's and other high ups in society who also got protected by the police.
As well as the Christian church.
(In addition to immigration, but you can't just lay the blame at one group).

I got it @Danny the Geezer, I got it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gears265
Well if you left wingers stopped blocking a return of the death penalty for things like rape it would drastically reduce the number but oh I forgot in your world the rights of the offender > the victim's rights

Look at the reoffending rates for UK prisons; they are such soft touches. If someone is guilty of rape make them have a proper sentence rather than a few years which they can cut in half for good behaviour.

leftie liberal claptrap where the criminals are also victims-victims of poverty, blah blah blah.

You want to stop rape, drugs, etc etc? Give proper sentences. That will a) deter people or b) if it doesn't deter them it will keep them off the streets in any case.
Original post by slade p
The point is that he uk has shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults which is not being taken seriously, which means it will continue to be like this and probably even increase constantly.

In fact it is just being ignored.
Original post by slade p
Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Why is rape and sexual assaults rampant in the u.k?

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

Take away all the false accusations from the total number and the real value will be less than a half of that. Also, it is not that bad if you look at the statistics in India.
Reply 57
Original post by slade p

then you should take "rape culture" out of the title and OP, because it's incorrect and misleading.

anyway, what makes you think that it isn't being taken seriously? are you saying that the justice system is failing in this department?
Original post by slade p
'Vile and depraved' UK gang raped and abused babies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32413502

The UK-wide gang raped and abused babies and young children, streaming the attacks online to fellow members.John Denham, 49, and Matthew Stansfield, 34, had denied plotting sex crimes against the victims.
Five others pleaded guilty to offences including rape of a child and conspiracy to rape at an earlier hearing. They are:

Robin Hollyson, 30, from Bedfordshire

Christopher Knight, 35, from Manchester

David Harsley, 51, from Hull

Matthew Lisk, 32, from East Sussex

Adam Toms, 33, from Somerset

Did you mean to tag me??
Reply 59
Original post by 0123456543210
Take away the number of false accusations from the total number and the real number will be less than a half of that. Also, it is not that bad if you look at the statistics in India.

UK stats are much worse, uk official rate of rape is 28 per 100,000, india is 2 per 100,000.

Latest

Trending

Trending