The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping4Astars
Yet they can still spell better than you.

I was being ironic,
Reply 61
Original post by okey
then you should take "rape culture" out of the title and OP, because it's incorrect and misleading.

anyway, what makes you think that it isn't being taken seriously? are you saying that the justice system is failing in this department?

obviously the justice system is failing, only 15% of rape is reported and only 5.7% of rape which is reported ends in a conviction.
Reply 62
The extremely high amounts of rape and sexual assaults is why there is so many feminists in the uk.
Original post by slade p
UK stats are much worse, uk official rate of rape is 28 per 100,000, india is 2 per 100,000.

That's surprising considering how often India is mentioned when it comes to rape.
That is quite sad if it is true:frown:. What makes it worse is the fact that it is very difficult to prevent, maybe it is the time for higher police presence and harsher sentences for violent rapists.
Reply 64
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Did you mean to tag me??

yes what do you think about the rape epidemic in the uk?

and of this particular story?
Reply 65
Original post by slade p
obviously the justice system is failing, only 15% of rape is reported and only 5.7% of rape which is reported ends in a conviction.

15% of rape being reported has nothing to do with the justice system. the justice system can only deal with what gets reported.

5.7% of reported rape leading to a conviction is meaningless. how do you even know that it's rape? they analyse cases on an individual basis and those who are deemed guilty are sentenced. there is nothing wrong with the system in that respect.
A lot of rape happens in marriages, and the police are always awkward about how to approach the issue.

Most have the 'well, they're married and they have right to sex with each other' mentality, and some feel uncomfortable about interfering.

no. No. NO. :naughty:
Reply 67
Original post by okey
15% of rape being reported has nothing to do with the justice system. the justice system can only deal with what gets reported.

5.7% of reported rape leading to a conviction is meaningless. how do you even know that it's rape? they analyse cases on an individual basis and those who are deemed guilty are sentenced. there is nothing wrong with the system in that respect.

seems like you are yet another brit who is not taking rape in the uk seriously and wants to brush it aside simply to say the problem is not so bad when it clearly is.
I do love how people shout about rape culture, what does that make our problems with petty crimes such as theft, where there are even more, or alcohol and drugs offences?
Reply 69
Original post by slade p
seems like you are yet another brit who is not taking rape in the uk seriously and wants to brush it aside simply to say the problem is not so bad when it clearly is.

where's your argument there? i definitely think rape is a problem, and a big one- although many of your arguments are invalid.
Original post by 0123456543210
That's surprising considering how often India is mentioned when it comes to rape.
That is quite sad if it is true:frown:.

Don't worry, it isn't true. The OP is a troll :h:
Original post by slade p
The point is that he uk has shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults which is not being taken seriously, which means it will continue to be like this and probably even increase constantly.

You complain about it but you fail to realise you as a left winger are to blame. Your puppy dog treatment of criminals has made them less likely to care about the punishment for their crimes. We need tough prisons, painful punishments and the death penalty and then people will actually be scared of prisons, you lot have turned them into hotels
Reply 72
Original post by Gears265
You complain about it but you fail to realise you as a left winger are to blame. Your puppy dog treatment of criminals has made them less likely to care about the punishment for their crimes. We need tough prisons, painful punishments and the death penalty and then people will actually be scared of prisons, you lot have turned them into hotels

lmao i'm not left wing.
Original post by slade p
'Vile and depraved' UK gang raped and abused babies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32413502

The UK-wide gang raped and abused babies and young children, streaming the attacks online to fellow members.John Denham, 49, and Matthew Stansfield, 34, had denied plotting sex crimes against the victims.
Five others pleaded guilty to offences including rape of a child and conspiracy to rape at an earlier hearing. They are:

Robin Hollyson, 30, from Bedfordshire

Christopher Knight, 35, from Manchester

David Harsley, 51, from Hull

Matthew Lisk, 32, from East Sussex

Adam Toms, 33, from Somerset

Why am I tagged I've been avoiding this thread like fire
Reply 74
Original post by RonnieRJ
Why am I tagged I've been avoiding this thread like fire

why?

Don't you have any views on it as a british girl.
Original post by slade p
why?

Don't you have any views on it as a british girl.

I'm just disgusted and these things make me feel physically sick so I'm avoiding discussion on that topic especially when it comes to rape of children and BABIES

I'm v opinionated and I cba to argue with people that disagree with me because to me rapists like these lot deserve a lovely death penalty right off the bat
Original post by slade p
The point is that he uk has shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults which is not being taken seriously, which means it will continue to be like this and probably even increase constantly.

You are trapped in some sort of circular argument and when pushed on it you seem to keep saying the same things. Can you add something more significant than a one liner please? The thread is not developing.

Why do you say these assaults are not being taken seriously? What is your evidence? How can any crime be taken seriously if it is not reported? Rape is also notoriously difficult to prove in court, so the conviction rate is low.

There is also comment on here about how low the rape rate seems to be in India which - frankly - shows a shocking lack of perception on what is an incredibly complex issue.

The apparent high rate in the UK compared to India and dozens of other countries is based upon perceived UK statistics compared to those which are wildly inaccurate. In short: in the UK it is easy to report crime, yet in other countries it is considerably more difficult and /or crimes like rape are not reported because of publicity, stigma and financial dependence on the offender, and - as a result - they report far fewer crimes.

If anybody wants to actually analyse the stats on a fair basis then look at the UNODC.
Original post by Gears265

Because that's working so well for America, where successive governments competing to seem 'tougher on crime' has lead to harsher sentences, more convictions and an escalation of the war on drugs.
There also aren't any credible studies suggesting that the death penalty actually has an affect on the overall crime rate, or even the murder rate as people don't think about the punishment while acting on impulse, when under the influence of drugs, are gripped by fear or rage, are suffering from mental illness or panic while committing a crime.
Moreover people who leave 'tough prisons' often leave them traumatised to the extent that they find it difficult to reintergrate into society, which obviously doesn't have a positive affect on the crime rate.
In short, restorative justice systems, such as Norway's are far superior to more punitive ones like in the USA.

(p.s. I know you're a troll, I just like ranting)
Reply 78
Original post by Canterbury bloke
You are trapped in some sort of circular argument and when pushed on it you seem to keep saying the same things. Can you add something more significant than a one liner please? The thread is not developing.

Why do you say these assaults are not being taken seriously? What is your evidence? How can any crime be taken seriously if it is not reported? Rape is also notoriously difficult to prove in court, so the conviction rate is low.

There is also comment on here about how low the rape rate seems to be in India which - frankly - shows a shocking lack of perception on what is an incredibly complex issue.

The apparent high rate in the UK compared to India and dozens of other countries is based upon perceived UK statistics compared to those which are wildly inaccurate. In short: in the UK it is easy to report crime, yet in other countries it is considerably more difficult and /or crimes like rape are not reported because of publicity, stigma and financial dependence on the offender, and - as a result - they report far fewer crimes.

If anybody wants to actually analyse the stats on a fair basis then look at the UNODC.

your talking non sense and most will not report it because 90% of rape is done by people known to the victim so they will be too ashamed to report it. saying uk is easy to report crime is an absolute joke. only a small fraction of rape in uk is reported as well. there are no protests or anyone doing anything much in uk because they dont take it serious.

The stats speak for themselves whether you like them or not.
Original post by Mad_Cat_Lady
Because that's working so well for America, where successive governments competing to seem 'tougher on crime' has lead to harsher sentences, more convictions and an escalation of the war on drugs.
There also aren't any credible studies suggesting that the death penalty actually has an affect on the overall crime rate, or even the murder rate as people don't think about the punishment while acting on impulse, when under the influence of drugs, are gripped by fear or rage, are suffering from mental illness or panic while committing a crime.
Moreover people who leave 'tough prisons' often leave them traumatised to the extent that they find it difficult to reintergrate into society, which obviously doesn't have a positive affect on the crime rate.
In short, restorative justice systems, such as Norway's are far superior to more punitive ones like in the USA.

(p.s. I know you're a troll, I just like ranting)

A completely different example altogether. The USA for one has a pathetic gun law. Two the USA is 30+ times larger than us so managing crime is far more tougher and harder to regulate. Three the system of States has meant justice and criminal laws vary between states. Then there is the whole issue of prostitution and drugs (being next to Mexico does not help) that confuses things.

Overall to use the USA as an example is stupid. They make up for their tough criminal justice with illogical laws and based on their population density, demographics, history, politics, education and a whole host of things using them to reflect what would happen in this country is ludicrous.

On tough prisons, I don't actually care about the well being of these scum.

And I am not trolling when I say I support the death penalty, I support lengthy sentences and I support extreme punishments on criminals. Do you think I am a lefty pretending to support those things? Grow up, the death penalty for example is more popular than you think.

Latest

Trending

Trending