The Student Room Group

Why don't Western feminists seem to care about serious sexism abroad?

By 'don't care', I am not saying they don't care inside their minds, but they certainly don't show that they care.

All I hear about is everyday sexism, Western male privilege, wolf-whistling, a man who complimented a lawyer's LinkedIn profile picture, etc. I'm not saying these are right in principle, but that's all I hear about.

I rarely see Western feminists properly campaign about the horrendous sexism that goes on in non-Western countries, and where women are second-class citizens, stoned for being raped, forced to cover up, where rape in marriage is legal, etc. I wonder if you compared Guardian articles on trivial Western sexism vs. serious sexism abroad - which would be the most frequent?

So why do Western feminists seem to care about and campaign against trivial stuff in the West with such vigour, yet barely even touch comparatively worse examples of sexism abroad? Surely a woman being treated as a second-class citizen is more important and worthy of campaigning against than a man complimenting a female lawyer's profile picture.
(edited 8 years ago)
A lot of us do?

Could just be what you've heard or seen yourself?
Reply 2
Original post by Lady Comstock
By 'don't care', I am not saying they don't care inside their minds, but they certainly don't show that they care.

All I hear about is everyday sexism, Western male privilege, wolf-whistling, a man who complimented a lawyer's LinkedIn profile picture, etc. I'm not saying these are right in principle, but that's all I hear about.

I rarely see Western feminists properly campaign about the horrendous sexism that goes on in non-Western countries, and where women are second-class citizens, stoned for being raped, forced to cover up, where rape in marriage is legal, etc. I wonder if you compared Guardian articles on trivial Western sexism vs. serious sexism abroad - which would be the most frequent?

So why do Western feminists seem to care about and campaign against trivial stuff in the West with such vigour, yet barely even touch comparatively worse examples of sexism abroad? Surely a woman being treated as a second-class citizen is more important and worthy of campaigning against than a man complimenting a female lawyer's profile picture.

because the truth is they are not truly oppressed, and in retaliation to this they find every trivial thing to justify to themselves that they are oppressed

You're thinking of white feminists. But seriously there are tons of feminists who campaign for sexism is non-western countries.
because how is a rally in the Uk going to affect the situation of women in a country 4000 miles away
Many feminist groups do care, The Guardian spent a huge amount of time covering the issue of female genital mutilation across the world.
Reply 6
because their issues are in their own countries like how in the u.s 84,000 women are raped each year which is just the official amount and in the UK 85,000 are estimated to be raped. even the official uk rape amount is among the highest rates of rape in the world. on top of this 1 in 5 women in uk are sexually assaulted.

sweden has the highest rate of rape from western countries with 63 per 100,00, uk is 28 per 100.00 and u.s is 27 per 100,000.

no wonder sweden is the most feminist country in the world.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Many feminist groups do care, The Guardian spent a huge amount of time covering the issue of female genital mutilation across the world.

That's about it though, and probably because it has been imported into the UK. I can't remember the last time I saw a Guardian article on women being treated as legal second-class citizens abroad, but see articles on everyday sexism and other comparatively trivial stuff all the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by donnamedrosa
A lot of us do?

With the same vigour and exposure as stuff like everyday sexism?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Because complaining about sexist air conditioning is far more important for them obviously??
I do but what the population of Britain does, doesn't influence the actions of those in a country out of our control...
Original post by The Diplomat.
because how is a rally in the Uk going to affect the situation of women in a country 4000 miles away

Does it matter?

And most rallies in London rarely affect the British government's policy.
Does it matter?

And most rallies in London rarely affect the British government's policy.

well maybe they dont give a **** then
Because the size of Laura Cruft's breasts and underarm hair are obviously more important issues than FGM, female literacy rates and the fact rape victims can be charged with crimes in Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending