The Student Room Group

Is this considered Plagiarism?

Will copying sentences from my own article for my personal statement be considering as plagiarism? I have written this article myself for a business and it has been published online(My name and picture is included in the article)
Thank you in advance for your response.
Original post by Maim56
Will copying sentences from my own article for my personal statement be considering as plagiarism? I have written this article myself for a business and it has been published online(My name and picture is included in the article)

I would say it is very risky. You shouldn't really be recapitulating anything word by word, though similar content (as is what you do in essays) shouldn't be a problem.
Original post by Maim56

I would recommend slightly rewording the sentences, to be honest, it might pick up the sentences through there plagiarism software, better to be safe, even though you did write it :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by hellodave5
I would say it is very risky. You shouldn't really be recapitulating anything word by word, though similar content (as is what you do in essays) shouldn't be a problem.

Ahh I see, thank you for you advice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hayley Williams
I would recommend slightly rewording the sentences, to be honest, it might pick up the sentences through there plagiarism software, better to be safe, even though you did write it :biggrin:

Yeah i guess so! Better safe than sorry, thank you for the advice! :smile:
I think the software they use only scans previous personal statements? I'd still recommend rewording it, especially if they could find the work by googling you.
Original post by nverjvlev
I think the software they use only scans previous personal statements? I'd still recommend rewording it, especially if they could find the work by googling you.

No i think, it generally uses the internet and past personal statements? For example, we were told if you copied a line from a university website for example, it would be picked up on? :s-smilie: Plagiarism is so confusing, I've just started to learn to reference at uni and my god it is a pain :biggrin:
This will get picked up for plagiarism. Can't you say something like in this article I wrote about this which is relevant because of this?
Reply 8
It is self plagiarism which i doubt will be looked over unlike a re-used personal statement. I suggest not using the material at all and just summarise the main topic of the article you wrote.
Reply 9
Hi guys

Basically what you lot are saying is if you look up a past personal statement on the internet and then change the words that wouldn't be plagiarism? I've done my PS on my own but every time I look at it I think that this it isn't good enough, like I need something better. After all! pleasing someone you don't know is hard.
Basically anything that has been 'published' i.e has been submitted anywhere and isn't just sitting on your computer, including your past submitted PSs, will be picked up for plagiarism. Only past submitted PSs will not be flagged up to unis by UCAS but self plagiarism is very real.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending