The Student Room Group

Is it time to ban private schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Melancholy
Indeed. You wouldn't find men banning boobies just because they don't have them. That would be madness. A world without boobies.

What a horrid thought! :cry:
People who work hard enough will succeed regardless so I don't see the issue. Your argument is just based on jealousy of people who have more money than you.
Original post by intelligent con
I find it disgusting how these toff factories are still allowed to operate. Everyone who has come to my comprehensive from a private school has been posh and weird so this shows how people in these schools live in a bubble. Additionally it is scientifically proven that state schooled children are smarter than public school ones and do better at uni. Why do we honestly allow these elitist institutions to continue to operate? I wish blair had abolished them while labour was still in power and hope corbyn puts this in his manifesto. Why should money buy people good grades?

Should we ban all cars that cost over £15,000 too? After all, how dare people with money buy themselves a more comfortable driving experience.

What about first class train carriages and airline seats? How dare people with money buy themselves a more comfortable travel experience.

Should large houses be banned too? I mean, surely if we don't then we're allowing those with money to buy themselves a more comfortable place to live.

Expensive restaurants, have they got to go? Surely people with money buying themselves a nicer meal can't be allowed.
Original post by ivybridge
I actually agree with you. I personally think there's an obvious reason why those top institutions have such high private school intakes.

Well university education is basically predicated on the private school model. ie you pay for education. Unfortunately it is not of equal value to the private school model..(I mean what do you really get for £9000 that you didn't get when in 2006 it cost £3000pr yr) the top universities have an image to maintain, so its a PR exercise to a certain extent, but then again Oxbridge and Cambridge have criteria enshrined in statute to bursor kids from less well off homes which is how it should be. University should be about opportunity not elitism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by versari
Well university education is basically predicated on the private school model. ie you pay for education. Unfortunately it is not of equal value to the private school model..(I mean what do you really get for £9000 that you didn't get when in 2006 it cost £3000pr yr) the top universities have an image to maintain, so its a PR exercise to a certain extent, but then again Oxbridge and Cambridge have criteria enshrined in statute to bursor kids from less well off homes which is how it should be. University should be about opportunity not elitism.

Which it is...?
Which it is...?

so you contradict yourself...
Original post by versari
so you contradict yourself...

How is that contradictory to my statement? What I said is built entirely on the point that people are not selected due to their status.
But Private school applicants are not selected based on status either-just weather or not you have money.
Original post by versari
But Private school applicants are not selected based on status either-just weather or not you have money.

What private schools do in terms of selection is not the issue being discussed here. Answer the point I made before.
Reply 129
Original post by DiddyDec
Why should people be able to buy nice houses when some people have to live in council houses?

Ban the sale of houses!

Sorry but that's a fallacy. I support equality in opportunity, so logically private schools should be banned, everyone should have the same chances in life.
Original post by demx9
Sorry but that's a fallacy. I support equality in opportunity, so logically private schools should be banned, everyone should have the same chances in life.

Would you also ban private tutors? Online learning programmes?

You can't possibly make it so everyone has the same chances in like. It is impossible.
What private schools do in terms of selection is not the issue being discussed here. Answer the point I made before.

...well it is part of the issue actually since as I said most universities have a "bums on seats mentality" about intake. Re your earlier point, many of the costs associated with university education ie maintenance, and paying off a loan while providing a roof over your head, favour the well off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by versari
...well it is part of the issue actually since as I said most universities have a "bums on seats mentality" about intake. Re your earlier point, many of the costs associated with university education ie maintenance grants, and paying off a loan while providing a roof over your head, favour the well off.

This is complete rubbish. My parents legitimately used ALL of their savings to send me to a boarding school for sixth form and cannot afford university, really. I honestly do not know why people would struggle with paying back like a pound a week when you are on £21,000 a year. It's complete rubbish. Education in this country is SO affordable on a university level - heck, the government and university themselves essentially pay it for you until you earn enough to pay it off yourself and even then it is in minute and affordable sums.

Irrespective of that, you are still not actually answering anything. You have just completely gone off topic.
Would be a stupid idea to ban private schools, they make up most of the best schools in the country, and some of our private schools get people from overseas attending because they are genuinely that good. We should be improving the standard of the bottom performing schools to make it more equal, not dragging the top performing schools down.
Original post by demx9

It's more than the above. You'd better also prohibit parents from educating or motivating their children, because that's at least as big an influence on a child's success as their schooling.

Everything short of taking children from their parents and throwing them into the agoge at birth is an utterly futile gesture in this regard.

The aim isn't even meritorious in itself. You're basically arguing against people putting more resources into their children's education. If you really have such a problem with it, you could argue that it should be corrected for later (in which case you'd also have to deal with top state schools), but bringing some people down for the sake of equality, rather than raising everyone up, is a horrible, stupid, and spiteful mentality.
Reply 135
Original post by DiddyDec
Would you also ban private tutors? Online learning programmes?

Of course not, but everyone should have access to the same quality of education, this includes creating a lot of new grammar schools.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
IYou're basically arguing against people putting more resources into their children's education.

No, I'm saying it's unfair a child has a better chance in life because he's born in a rich family.
Original post by demx9
Of course not, but everyone should have access to the same quality of education, this includes creating a lot of new grammar schools

So it is ok to pay for private tutoring but not private educational institutes?

Not everyone has access to private tutors.
Original post by demx9

No, I'm saying it's unfair a child has a better chance in life because he's born in a rich family.

Why bother replying to me if you're not going to deal with what I said?

Frankly I've already dealt with that point, so I may as well just respond as before.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's more than the above. You'd better also prohibit parents from educating or motivating their children, because that's at least as big an influence on a child's success as their schooling.

Everything short of taking children from their parents and throwing them into the agoge at birth is an utterly futile gesture in this regard.

The aim isn't even meritorious in itself. You're basically arguing against people putting more resources into their children's education. If you really have such a problem with it, you could argue that it should be corrected for later (in which case you'd also have to deal with top state schools), but bringing some people down for the sake of equality, rather than raising everyone up, is a horrible, stupid, and spiteful mentality.
This is complete rubbish. My parents legitimately used ALL of their savings to send me to a boarding school for sixth form and cannot afford university, really. I honestly do not know why people would struggle with paying back like a pound a week when you are on £21,000 a year. It's complete rubbish. Education in this country is SO affordable on a university level - heck, the government and university themselves essentially pay it for you until you earn enough to pay it off yourself and even then it is in minute and affordable sums.

Irrespective of that, you are still not actually answering anything. You have just completely gone off topic.

I admire the sacrifices your parents have obviously made.I always felt the government have made a degree more expensive and therefore exclusive.. I did the final year of my degree for £1,200 in 2006. Now the same full degree course costs £27, 500 excluding maintenance, rent etc. I know it can be paid off slowly after earning 21k but a £3,500 degree now costs 27k.... and lots of grads don't think it represents value for money, and don't want the debt. Some won't find the repayments a problem if they can get some help financially. We live in a time of some of the most expensive rents and house prices ever remember.I may have digressed, but my point is a degree is now more expensive-why?At these costs university which should be for everyone in my humble opinion favours the wealthy.
Original post by demx9
Of course not, but everyone should have access to the same quality of education, this includes creating a lot of new grammar schools.

But they do? People just hear the words private school and think, 'lol, i have no money' when in reality, as I said earlier, they're not that far out of people's leagues. Allow me to elaborate. Most if not all private schools function like charities. There are a great deal of students at many of these schools on bursaries and scholarships to aid parents. The same stigma is attached to the Ivy League schools in America. People think they're untouchable financially when all of them have so much damn money, they will essentially pay for you if you are good enough to be admitted and many of them do do exactly this. One example is Harvard itself, if you get admitted, they meet 100% of your demonstrated need regardless of citizenship and merit. Harvard is, by the way, a private institution.

That is the way of the world though - it's reality; there will always be hierarchy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending