The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Internet
So it's not OK to call for say the genocide of Jews (And yes I agree that that is wrong), but it is OK to call for the genocide of Muslims? (As many far right groups do)? According to your logic...

Should we also discriminate against Christians?

I don't think we "should" do anything. I don't think genocide of Muslims is any better than genocide of anyone. The act of killing remains the same. I'm not talking about the actions committed in the name of prejudice, I'm talking about the prejudice itself. In-which case, it is less poisonous to have a prejudice against someone based on their ideology, than it is to have a prejudice against someone based on something which they can't change (in this case Jewish ancestry), and says very little about their character. Everyone has prejudices against people based on their views, because we believe that a persons views are a projection of their personality. This natural. I'm sure you look down on me for my views. I don't see why this suddenly is so much worse when one looks down on people for having views which are Islamic.
Original post by KingBradly
I don't think we "should" do anything. I don't think genocide of Muslims is any better than genocide of anyone. The act of killing remains the same. I'm not talking about the actions committed in the name of prejudice, I'm talking about the prejudice itself. In-which case, it is less poisonous to have a prejudice against someone based on their ideology, than it is to have a prejudice against someone based on something which they can't change (in this case Jewish ancestry), and says very little about their character. Everyone has prejudices against people based on their views, because we believe that a persons views are a projection of their personality. This natural. I'm sure you look down on me for my views. I don't see why this suddenly is so much worse when one looks down on people for having views which are Islamic.

The thing is King Bradly, you can be say...Muslim and Tory, or Jewish and Tory. You can't exactly be Jewish and Muslim, or Muslim and Christian. For many people, they effectively DON'T have the choice to choose their own faith, so how is prejudice against Muslims justified exactly? Religion isn't exactly like comparing labour to the tories. You get the really liberal ones, and you get the ultra conservative ones...
The thing is King Bradly, you can be say...Muslim and Tory, or Jewish and Tory. You can't exactly be Jewish and Muslim, or Muslim and Christian. For many people, they effectively DON'T have the choice to choose their own faith, so how is prejudice against Muslims justified exactly? Religion isn't exactly like comparing labour to the tories. You get the really liberal ones, and you get the ultra conservative ones...

This may be the case, but people should have the choice to believe whatever they want, and in this country they should be treated like they can to push the idea that people are individuals.

People should be treated as individuals, not as part of a collective. They should be considered responsible for their own views, actions, and those identities which they choose.
Original post by scrotgrot
Only insofar as there is no familial coercion, or indeed indoctrination, to carry on Islam. Plus we all know Islam overlaps almost perfectly with that half of the Caucasian race we call Arabs: that is not unlike the Jews really.

Plus many in this country continue to write "Christian" on the census without ever going anywhere near a church. Similarly if you live in even a secular Muslim country you are probably going to identify as Muslim even if you are not observant at all.

Attacks on random members of the Muslim faith is quite as barbaric as the recent attack on Lee Rigby for being an agent of the American Satan or whatever. Just as he was a normal bloke who happened to be in the army so victims of Islamophobic attacks are normal people who happen to be Muslim.

Islam doesn't overlap perfectly with the Arabs, large populations of Muslims are Pakistani, South-East Asian, Eastern European, Kurdish, or of Sub-Saharan African ethnicities. The title of "muslim" says almost nothing about your ethnicity

It's true that your religion can become part of your cultural identity, and that saying that you're a member of a certain religion can have relatively little to do with your actual beliefs. This is certainly the truth in Bosnia with many the Bosniak Muslims, and also in Turkey, where up to half of "Muslims" aren't practicing. But most Islamophobia isn't targeting those people. Most people who are Islamophobic really dislike Islam as a political force, they're not concerned with non-practicing Muslims.
For many people, they effectively DON'T have the choice to choose their own faith

Then they should leave that poisonous, abusive household.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Then they should leave that poisonous, abusive household.

That applies to Christians too. It becomes a part of your identiyy
Islam doesn't overlap perfectly with the Arabs, large populations of Muslims are Pakistani, South-East Asian, Eastern European, Kurdish, or of Sub-Saharan African ethnicities. The title of "muslim" says almost nothing about your ethnicity

It's true that your religion can become part of your cultural identity, and that saying that you're a member of a certain religion can have relatively little to do with your actual beliefs. This is certainly the truth in Bosnia with many the Bosniak Muslims, and also in Turkey, where up to half of "Muslims" aren't practicing. But most Islamophobia isn't targeting those people. Most people who are Islamophobic really dislike Islam as a political force, they're not concerned with non-practicing Muslims.

So why do Islamophobes attack Muslims who may not be practising or even if they are are probably not political Islamists?
So why do Islamophobes attack Muslims who may not be practising or even if they are are probably not political Islamists?

How would they know they were practicing Muslims unless they were in Islamic garb?

Do they? Citation needed.
Truly terrible, and pretty much an impossible situation with out communities across London uniting together to combat the issue. It won't be easy through, those committing the crimes will use it as proof that Muslims are somehow taking over.
Misleading statistic just tryna cause confusion and disunity, promote segregation and demonstrate bigotry.
If crime was before 0.5% now 1.2% that's low, just the '70% increase' make it seem a big deal. Please just be good yourselves and dont worry about others (unless you're a politician/activist etc.).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Disgusting but I'm not surprised that's the case.
But most Islamophobia isn't targeting those people. Most people who are Islamophobic really dislike Islam as a political force, they're not concerned with non-practicing Muslims.

Most Islamaphobia is targeted towards people who are brown, in the mistaken assumption that brown = Muslim, as perpetuated by the media.

Thus, there was a horrible incident where a white male tried to lop off the head of a Sikh man because he thought he was a Muslim. The Sikh man was brown.

Most people who attack Muslims or those they perceive to be Muslims through the colour of their skin are actually racists. Most of the time, it has nothing to do with political Islam, but just another guise to let out the racist in you, and then trying to justify it by saying that you are against political Islam.

Utter rubbish.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Most Islamaphobia is targeted towards people who are brown, in the mistaken assumption that brown = Muslim, as perpetuated by the media.

Thus, there was a horrible incident where a white male tried to lop off the head of a Sikh man because he thought he was a Muslim. The Sikh man was brown.

Most people who attack Muslims or those they perceive to be Muslims through the colour of their skin are actually racists. Most of the time, it has nothing to do with political Islam, but just another guise to let out the racist in you, and then trying to justify it by saying that you are against political Islam.

Utter rubbish.

That isn't Islamophobia, that is just racism and xenophobia.
That isn't Islamophobia, that is just racism and xenophobia.

Yet people like you would record it as Islamaphobia, as opposed to racism because Islamaphobia seems to be more acceptable as it doesn't possess the same negative connotations as racism.

In fact, it's become almost fashionable to be "Islamaphobic".
Yet people like you would record it as Islamaphobia, as opposed to racism because Islamaphobia seems to be more acceptable as it doesn't possess the same negative connotations as racism.

In fact, it's become almost fashionable to be "Islamaphobic".

People like me? Who are these people like me?
People like me? Who are these people like me?

The ones that try to cover their inherent racism through attacks on what they consider political Islam, but it's merely an excuse to bash some people who are not white.
The ones that try to cover their inherent racism through attacks on what they consider political Islam, but it's merely an excuse to bash some people who are not white.

Islamophobia does not exist

And you can not be 'racist' when criticising Islam, it is not a race

I thought I would clear things up for you :smile:
This is the religion currently responsible for committing terrorism within 70 countries across 5 different continents, what did they expect?
Reply 359
I didn't know there were any far-right fascists in London

Thought all the Whites were exterminated? or migrated..

Latest

Trending

Trending