The Student Room Group

Predicted ABB, is a BBB insurance university riskyyy?

I want to study business management at university. I'm taking Applied Science, Chemistry and business studies. I also have biology at a2 but got a D:/. My question is will BBB be a risky insurance? which will be Swansea university, as I've also heard they are lenient. Also because I've done sciences do you think they'll be more lenient as in general they are seen as harder A-levels that others.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by arjunnpatel97
I want to study business management at university. I'm taking Applied Science, Chemistry and business studies. I also have biology at a2 but got a D:/. My question is will BBB be a risky insurance? which will be Swansea university, as I've also heard they are lenient. Also because I've done sciences do you think they'll be more lenient as in general they are seen as harder A-levels that others.

you have 5 choices, if you think it's risky you can always have 2 BBB choices, if its the grades you're worried about then you just need to work hard

I think you have a decent chance, dropping one grade is not too bad.

Btw 'applied' sciences are not seen as harder than curriculum subjects. Chem is a solid choice though.
Yeah I understand what you're saying.
I think I'm set on loughborough as my firm, and hopefully Swansea as my insurance, so it's more of a make up the numbers game atm. Unless I get an unconditional which may change my opinion :smile:
Yeah I understand what you're saying.
I think I'm set on loughborough as my firm, and hopefully Swansea as my insurance, so it's more of a make up the numbers game atm. Unless I get an unconditional which may change my opinion :smile:

What were your AS grades? It depends how realistic your predictions are.
Original post by Muttley79
What were your AS grades? It depends how realistic your predictions are.

B - applied science
B - chemistry
C - business
B - applied science
B - chemistry
C - business

Then I would say BBB is too risky.

In my school we'd predict BBC unless you were a couple of UMS below the grade above.
This concerns me because I got ABB predicted but have applied for all AAB unis.
Original post by Lord Kitchener
This concerns me because I got ABB predicted but have applied for all AAB unis.

Did no one advise you at school?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Did no one advise you at school?

Yeah but I think I can get AAA this year as I didn't really revise at all last year and did fine, I'm resitting a module which should bump one of my AS grades up to an A and I hope I can maintain or improve on what I already have. If all goes well I could end up with A*AA this year but that's best case. I should probably end up with AAB which I think will get me into these uni's if not i'll just go clearing.

My choices are Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle, Birmingham and York.

Do you think that's ok? I have quite coursework heavy subjects this year so I can have a good headstart anyway.
I think as ling as you actually put in A LOT of effort (trust me a2 gets even harder) you should be fine
Original post by Lord Kitchener
Yeah but I think I can get AAA this year as I didn't really revise at all last year and did fine, I'm resitting a module which should bump one of my AS grades up to an A and I hope I can maintain or improve on what I already have. If all goes well I could end up with A*AA this year but that's best case. I should probably end up with AAB which I think will get me into these uni's if not i'll just go clearing.

My choices are Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle, Birmingham and York.

Do you think that's ok? I have quite coursework heavy subjects this year so I can have a good headstart anyway.

It's a done deal now, so what I think is pretty irrelevant. It's not going to help getting AAB in August if they have all rejected you before May for not having the minimum predicted grades. Tactically that wasn't particularly sound. Still, there is Extra and Clearing, and who knows, you may be lucky.
Literally i feel the same as well now! I'm applying for Biology and the Uni's i want to go to are AAA - ABB and my insurance is BBB.
I got ABCC at AS and I am predicted A*BB.
Praying for a ABB offer from Manchester and Exeter!!!
Then I would say BBB is too risky.

In my school we'd predict BBC unless you were a couple of UMS below the grade above.

Yeah I was close to the upper grade on all subjects, but chemistry teacher didn't put me a grade up because he thinks ill struggle at A2:angry::colondollar:
Original post by adamminaj1998
Literally i feel the same as well now! I'm applying for Biology and the Uni's i want to go to are AAA - ABB and my insurance is BBB.
I got ABCC at AS and I am predicted A*BB.
Praying for a ABB offer from Manchester and Exeter!!!

Yeah man that kinda equals out to AAB so you seem like you could apply to AAA courses. Have a look if your school is an underperforming one, if it is they will give you the lower requirements. E.g if a course Is AAA/AAB they'd give you the AAB..
Yeah I was close to the upper grade on all subjects, but chemistry teacher didn't put me a grade up because he thinks ill struggle at A2:angry::colondollar:

Realistic predictions are sensible because unis know which schools over-predict. There's also no point in getting an offer you have no chance of getting because in August you'll have no place and, probably, no accommodation.
I'm afraid that my school is probably one of the best performing in my area... I have an interview at Manchester on November 11th so I'm just going to have to dazzle them into giving me a lower offer! 😁
Realistic predictions are sensible because unis know which schools over-predict. There's also no point in getting an offer you have no chance of getting because in August you'll have no place and, probably, no accommodation.

Yeah you're not wrong saying that tbf. Where are you applying
Yeah you're not wrong saying that tbf. Where are you applying

Ha, ha! I'm a teacher who is heavily involved in UCAS applications and writing references.

There's nothing worse than someone chaing accommodation in September because they didn't listen to advice and end up in clearing scrabbling for a place.
Ha, ha! I'm a teacher who is heavily involved in UCAS applications and writing references.

There's nothing worse than someone chaing accommodation in September because they didn't listen to advice and end up in clearing scrabbling for a place.

Oh Aha my apologies.
If I suffered a family bereavement during exam period, how much information would be needed in a reference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending