The Student Room Group

Maths AS question (Curves)

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1446937610.318693.jpg

I worked out Q(a) but not sure about (b). I got -x^2-2cx+c for part a; I might be wrong though but I assume you just expand the brackets and make it in that form. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is not the answer, but your handwriting is amazing - do you use parker pens/expensive pens?
Reply 2
Original post by KK.Violinist

I worked out Q(a) but not sure about (b). I got -x^2-2cx+c for part a; I might be wrong though but I assume you just expand the brackets and make it in that form. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your part (a) is slightly incorrect, you have (xc)(xc)=(x22cx+c2)-(x-c)(x-c) = -(x^2 - 2cx + c^2) (note the square of the cc) - now just distribute the - sign into the brackets.
Work out all the letters in the equations then find B with making f(X) = g(X). C is the X intercept of h(X) so that should be easy and then length from that.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Note that f(0)=f'(0) = gradient of line 1 - can you then write down the equation of line 1 (you know where it intersects the y-axis as well) and find where it intersects g(x)g(x)? What about finding where g(x)g(x) and f(x)f(x) intersect and then can you use g(x)g'(x) to find the gradient of 2\ell_2?
Original post by TheYearNiner
This is not the answer, but your handwriting is amazing - do you use parker pens/expensive pens?

Thanks haha, I use a standard ballpoint pen. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Note that f(0)=f'(0) = gradient of line 1 - can you then write down the equation of line 1 (you know where it intersects the y-axis as well) and find where it intersects g(x)g(x)? What about finding where g(x)g(x) and f(x)f(x) intersect and then can you use g(x)g'(x) to find the gradient of 2\ell_2?

Sorry, my minds gone blank. How would I go about finding the equation of line 1? y=mx+c where -8 is c and mx being f'(x)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Sorry, my minds gone blank. How would I go about finding the equation of line 1? y=mx+c where -8 is c and mx being f'(x)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Differentiate, sub in the x value of the coordinate of the point given which lies on line to get the gradient; and use y-y1 =m(x-x1).

Your handwriting is so damn good, it makes me feel like a toddler :eek:
Original post by kkboyk
Differentiate, sub in the x value of the coordinate of the point given which lies on line to get the gradient; and use y-y1 =m(x-x1).

Your handwriting is so damn good, it makes me feel like a toddler :eek:

Okay, if my calculations are correct then the line is y=2x-8.

Why is everyone talking about my handwriting!!! Haha I think it's pretty average, I've seen classmates with better handwriting xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Okay, if my calculations are correct then the line is y=2x-8.

Why is everyone talking about my handwriting!!! Haha I think it's pretty average, I've seen classmates with better handwriting xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because most people doing Maths (especially university Maths students and Professors) have terrible handwriting.

I sometimes can't read my own handwriting :frown:
Original post by kkboyk
Because most people doing Maths (especially university Maths students and Professors) have terrible handwriting.

I sometimes can't read my own handwriting :frown:

Lol that's true but surprisingly my teacher has very neat handwriting that makes even mine look mediocre.

Anyway, back on topic, now I have to find point A? I really shouldn't be doing this so late during the night. My brain keeps switching off -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Lol that's true but surprisingly my teacher has very neat handwriting that makes even mine look mediocre.

Anyway, back on topic, now I have to find point A? I really shouldn't be doing this so late during the night. My brain keeps switching off -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Simultaneous equations with line L1 and g(x).
Original post by kkboyk
Simultaneous equations with line L1 and g(x).

I'm slightly confused by the D. I found D=40 but not sure if I'm correct. Do I even need to find D? Sorry for my amateur replies :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm slightly confused by the D. I found D=40 but not sure if I'm correct. Do I even need to find D? Sorry for my amateur replies :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is D?
Original post by kkboyk
What is D?

g(x)=x^2-14x+D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Oh its a constant.

If you differentiate g(x) and also L1 make them equal to each other (as they both will have the same gradient at that point) you'll be able to find the x value
Original post by kkboyk
Oh its a constant.

If you differentiate g(x) and also L1 make them equal to each other (as they both will have the same gradient at that point) you'll be able to find the x value

So find the second derivative for f(x) and the first for g(x) and equal to each other? If so then I got x=8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest