The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slade p
It would beneficial to other women if members here who have been sexually assaulted or know others who have been tell us about their ordeal.

Frankly I think this request is unethical. It is not the job of a survivor of sexual assault to tell other people unless they wish to
Reply 81
Original post by Canterbury bloke
Frankly I think this request is unethical. It is not the job of a survivor of sexual assault to tell other people unless they wish to

The death penalty should be reinstated. This would be a starting point to deal with the problem but leftists would disagree with it.
Original post by slade p
Here just one example of a pedophile gang raping young girls

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333420/Paedophile-ring-groomed-young-girls-abusing-cottage.html

Six paedophiles who plied girls as young as five with drugs before subjecting them to sickening *sexual abuse have been jailed.As many as 30 young victims are believed to have been targeted by the gang led by convicted sex offender John Barrett, who groomed them with cigarettes and then passed them on to other men.

They are all atheist, yet no marches of condemnation from the white atheist community. Where is Richard Dawkins. I am outraged this left wing pc liberal crap gets me
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
That equates to 0.2% of the female population. Totally a culture.
this is just the uk you dick wod it should be 0% no one should be raped
Original post by Jammy Duel
I do love how people shout about rape culture, what does that make our problems with petty crimes such as theft, where there are even more, or alcohol and drugs offences?
stfu honestly rape is a much worse crime then any of that someone who rapes should not be allowed to live its disgusting.
Original post by yohelpmepls
this is just the uk you dick wod it should be 0% no one should be raped

Yes, crime shouldn't happen but it is impossible to stop all crime.
Original post by yohelpmepls
stfu honestly rape is a much worse crime then any of that someone who rapes should not be allowed to live its disgusting.

How bad a crime is is irrelevant, if mere numbers determine culture then rape culture is hardly our only cultural problem; we have a domestic violence culture, there are nearly ten times as many violent crimes as there are rapes, of perhaps better pit, rape make up only about 10pc of violent crimes;

Actually, the figures aren't even right, there are only about 35,000 rapes p/a so they only make up about 3pc of violent crimes

A fraud culture, nearly 20 times as many fraud as rapes
Shoplifting, 10 times as many
Vehicle offences, 10 times as many
Criminal damage, 40 times as many
Bicycle theft, 12 times
Vehicle related theft, 25 times
Robbery, 3 times
Theft from person, 12 times
Other theft of personal property, 20 times
Donetsk burglary, 21 times
Other household theft, 20 times
Theft total: 110 times

Rape makes up about 0.5pc of all crime

So why is 0.5pc of all crimes a rape culture, but over half of all crimes not a theft culture? Over a tenth fraud culture? A fifth, violent culture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slade p
your talking non sense and most will not report it because 90% of rape is done by people known to the victim so they will be too ashamed to report it. saying uk is easy to report crime is an absolute joke. only a small fraction of rape in uk is reported as well. there are no protests or anyone doing anything much in uk because they dont take it serious.

The stats speak for themselves whether you like them or not.

It's not whether I like them or not at all. You clearly do not understand [a] the reporting and recording mechanism in the UK the reporting system in other countries like India, African states and so on. I suggest you pick a decent book or a couple of journal articles on the reticence of women in developing countries to report rape. The 2 per 100,000 figure for India is a fabrication. You pay for my flight and I will be able to prove it within 24 hours of landing at Mumbai: it could be up to 500 per 100,000.

It is a fact that it easy to report a rape in the UK. Not reporting rape is an entirely separate matter. Do not confuse the two.

In the developing world women do not report sexual violence for the reasons I gave, they are also turned away by the police, disbelieved, laughed at and arrested for attempting to report rape. If you want to talk about people not taking rape seriously I suggest you start with countries where women are executed for infidelity when they are raped; where women are given such a runaround by the police that they give up; where women have to walk for FIVE DAYS to report a rape and get medical attention; where they have been advised by USAid that rape cannot be investigated after 72 hours; where they are raped by a first offender and then effectively sexually assaulted by doctors two or three times in order to 'gain evidence' when one examination would suffice; where they have to pay the police bribes for attention; where they have to pay a police officer for a form to take to a doctor; where they have to wait in a public room with a child after a rape and the police officer talks about them to other members of the public.

Kindly don't patronise me with your vague knowledge about the problems associated with this monstrous crime: I think I know a bit more about it than you do but I don't believe it's an epidemic and that it's not taken seriously.
Original post by slade p
'Vile and depraved' UK gang raped and abused babies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32413502

The UK-wide gang raped and abused babies and young children, streaming the attacks online to fellow members.John Denham, 49, and Matthew Stansfield, 34, had denied plotting sex crimes against the victims.
Five others pleaded guilty to offences including rape of a child and conspiracy to rape at an earlier hearing. They are:

Robin Hollyson, 30, from Bedfordshire

Christopher Knight, 35, from Manchester

David Harsley, 51, from Hull

Matthew Lisk, 32, from East Sussex

Adam Toms, 33, from Somerset

That's very nice. Does this support your cause? Why am I tagged?
'Rape culture'.

The nonsense internet-feminist phrase used to demonise all men for something perpetrated by a tiny minority of criminals for whom the vast majority of men and women have nothing but disgust and contempt. No, we can't stop rape by attending special awareness courses, because we're not the rapists, and those who are the rapists aren't the sort of people who are going to give a damn about such efforts.
If the cases weren't reported, how did they get them on their statistics? Through divine intervention?

Also asking because I can't load the site.
How bad a crime is is irrelevant, if mere numbers determine culture then rape culture is hardly our only cultural problem; we have a domestic violence culture, there are nearly ten times as many violent crimes as there are rapes, of perhaps better pit, rape make up only about 10pc of violent crimes;

Actually, the figures aren't even right, there are only about 35,000 rapes p/a so they only make up about 3pc of violent crimes

Bicycle theft, 12 times
Robbery, 3 times

So why is 0.5pc of all crimes a rape culture, but over half of all crimes not a theft culture? Over a tenth fraud culture? A fifth, violent culture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The left would just condone those acts, because it equalises wealth in society.
Reply 92
Original post by Little Toy Gun
If the cases weren't reported, how did they get them on their statistics? Through divine intervention?

Also asking because I can't load the site.

They were admitted by the victims from research done on the issue.
Reply 93
Original post by Canterbury bloke
It's not whether I like them or not at all. You clearly do not understand [a] the reporting and recording mechanism in the UK the reporting system in other countries like India, African states and so on. I suggest you pick a decent book or a couple of journal articles on the reticence of women in developing countries to report rape. The 2 per 100,000 figure for India is a fabrication. You pay for my flight and I will be able to prove it within 24 hours of landing at Mumbai: it could be up to 500 per 100,000.

It is a fact that it easy to report a rape in the UK. Not reporting rape is an entirely separate matter. Do not confuse the two.

In the developing world women do not report sexual violence for the reasons I gave, they are also turned away by the police, disbelieved, laughed at and arrested for attempting to report rape. If you want to talk about people not taking rape seriously I suggest you start with countries where women are executed for infidelity when they are raped; where women are given such a runaround by the police that they give up; where women have to walk for FIVE DAYS to report a rape and get medical attention; where they have been advised by USAid that rape cannot be investigated after 72 hours; where they are raped by a first offender and then effectively sexually assaulted by doctors two or three times in order to 'gain evidence' when one examination would suffice; where they have to pay the police bribes for attention; where they have to pay a police officer for a form to take to a doctor; where they have to wait in a public room with a child after a rape and the police officer talks about them to other members of the public.

Kindly don't patronise me with your vague knowledge about the problems associated with this monstrous crime: I think I know a bit more about it than you do but I don't believe it's an epidemic and that it's not taken seriously.

What you say is also true in UK and other developed countries, you are very ignorant for not knowing this and deflecting the issue away by talking about other places is another example of you being denial.

A third of Brits think the rape victim is partly or fully to blame.
Reply 94
even british poliiticians are at it

[video="youtube;KE5db52mC10"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5db52mC10[/video]
Reply 95
[video="youtube;25-G75Lz5x0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25-G75Lz5x0[/video]
Reply 96

The Slut Walk protest in Newcastle in 2011 was part of a series of similar events designed to raise awareness about damaging attitudes to rape and sexual assault. Photograph: Raoul Dixon/NNP/North News & Pictures Ltdterm used recently. It describes a culture in which rape and sexual assault are common (in the UK over 85,000 women are raped and 400,000 sexually assaulted every single year). It describes a culture in which dominant social norms belittle, dismiss, joke about or even seem to condone rape and sexual assault.

It describes a culture in which the normalisation of rape and sexual assault are so great that often victims are blamed, either implicitly or explicitly, when these crimes are committed against them. A culture in which other factors such as media objectification make it easier to see women as dehumanised objects for male sexual purposes alone.

It’s part of rape culture when “I’m feeling rapey” T-shirts are put up for sale on eBay. Or when a member of a University sports team goes out in a “casual rape” shirt, or another team plays a game called: “It’s not rape if

It’s part of rape culture when a child victim of sexual abuse is accused of being complicit and somehow “egging” on her abuser in the court case against him. It’s rape culture that makes it so hard for male victims to speak out too, because hand-in-hand with the dismissal of rape as a hilarious joke goes the stigmatisation of male rape victims as effeminate, impotent or non-existant.

@JillNicholls01@EverydaySexism #followed home from primary school by gang of boys saying they'd rape me - didn't know what it meant but was scared - ran2:23 PM - 2 Mar 2013Gir

@Despairbunny@EverydaySexism Guy I used to go out with decides he wants to restart stuff between us. When I decline he threatens to rape me #ShoutingBack

Tasha Berg @TashaHugs@EverydaySexism Overheard young boy on bus saying - "I'll rape your mum so bad she can't walk". Sickening!

Catherine @A_Wee_Bookworm@EverydaySexism A former magistrate blames short skirts for rape on #bbctbq Welcome to 21st century Britain. #VictimBlaming

Charlotte F @charliecat82@EverydaySexism #LadCulture being told by an ex-boyfriend that he'd like to rape me and then he didn't get why I was angry.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/feb/14/rape-culture-damage-it-does-everyday-sexism
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
Britain sure does have a rape culture with these national figures.
Reply 98

Bicycle theft, 12 times
Robbery, 3 times

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because rape and sexual assault is a horrendous crime against person, stealing things does not physically harm people.
Original post by slade p
What you say is also true in UK and other developed countries, you are very ignorant for not knowing this and deflecting the issue away by talking about other places is another example of you being denial.

A third of Brits think the rape victim is partly or fully to blame.

Can I see some evidence that women in the UK get executed fopr being raped? Perhaps some evidence about being forced to bribe police officers? Thought not.

Why are you introducing the victim blaming problem in this answer?

Could you please make some cogent statements?

Latest

Trending

Trending