The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

Have a lot of people applied for medicine at your school?
For me, it's 10
And we all completely applied to different places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

Could someone summarise the structure of the NHS and how'd they answer if they were asked at interview?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Original post by ultimatesword
Hi!

Could someone summarise the structure of the NHS and how'd they answer if they were asked at interview?

http://bfy.tw/2gWf
Hi!

Haha, as the person has shown above, you're best to research that by yourself as there's so much to that single question. But if you're applying to Scottish and English medical schools, make sure you know the structure of both! They differ in structure and the government involvement is not the same for each country. NHS England has different regulators in comparison to NHS Scotland too! 😊

Hope this helps!
Original post by madmed16
Haha, as the person has shown above, you're best to research that by yourself as there's so much to that single question. But if you're applying to Scottish and English medical schools, make sure you know the structure of both! They differ in structure and the government involvement is not the same for each country. NHS England has different regulators in comparison to NHS Scotland too! 😊

Hope this helps!

Thanks :smile:. Yeah I thought to research it myself ahah. I've got a mock interview today and haven't really prepared much for it - I had mocks last week and haven't had the chance to prepare much for it. It's going to be very much improvised! It's both MMIs and traditional based panel interviews!

Thanks :smile:. Yeah I thought to research it myself ahah. I've got a mock interview today and haven't really prepared much for it - I had mocks last week and haven't had the chance to prepare much for it. It's going to be very much improvised! It's both MMIs and traditional based panel interviews!

Ah I see, so it was just last minute prep.

That's good, I'm sure they'll go well!

I've got one too today from the medicmentor company, it'll be my second proper MMI and first panel type interview.
Original post by cookiemonster15
I've got one too today from the medicmentor company, it'll be my second proper MMI and first panel type interview.

Yeah I've got it from medicmentor too!

It's my first experience of interview - hoping it goes well. How was your first MMI? And whereabouts your applying? :smile:

Yeah I've got it from medicmentor too!

It's my first experience of interview - hoping it goes well. How was your first MMI? And whereabouts your applying? :smile:

Ahh, cool! What time do you have yours??

My first MMI was actually yesterday as part of a course and I think it actually went alright, I normally freeze up and blank out during them but thankfully that didn't happen, I found that the generic questions such as 'Why choose medicine' and 'tell me about your work experience' stumbled me the most just because my answers were way too short and I didn't include much detail and examples so I'm hoping to improve on that!

My first MMI was actually yesterday as part of a course and I think it actually went alright, I normally freeze up and blank out during them but thankfully that didn't happen, I found that the generic questions such as 'Why choose medicine' and 'tell me about your work experience' stumbled me the most just because my answers were way too short and I didn't include much detail and examples so I'm hoping to improve on that!

Mine's at 4:30-6:30pm. Panel first and then MMIs.

I'm not particularly looking forward to those questions to be honest but I've got a sort of 'good' sort of repsonse to them (so I think anyway!).

Let's see how it goes I guess!

Mine's at 4:30-6:30pm. Panel first and then MMIs.

I'm not particularly looking forward to those questions to be honest but I've got a sort of 'good' sort of repsonse to them (so I think anyway!).

Let's see how it goes I guess!

Same :smile: Yeah, I'm just going to see how it goes and hopefully will be more prepared for the real thing. Are most of your uni's MMI's or traditional interviews?
This is basically for anyone whose looking for interview practise (which I'm guessing is all of you if you're on this thread :smile: ) But anyways I found this really helpful so maybe you guys might too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogx4-A8nvk
Same :smile: Yeah, I'm just going to see how it goes and hopefully will be more prepared for the real thing. Are most of your uni's MMI's or traditional interviews?

Most are MMIs - only one is traditional - so I'm really hoping I like and enjoy the MMIs! Wbu?

Most are MMIs - only one is traditional - so I'm really hoping I like and enjoy the MMIs! Wbu?

Yeah same with me, only one is traditional
Yeah same with me, only one is traditional

Cool. You heard anything back from any of the unis you've applied to?

Hi!

Hello :smile:

So the structure of the NHS is actually four separate governing bodies that are independent of the government: NHS England, Scotland and Wales, and Health and Social Care in NI (Not NHS Ireland). These are allocated block funding by Westminster through the Department for Health (which I think is dependent on the population demands on healthcare under each body), but aside from that, these are quite independent and are able to make decisions about the NHS in their own countries.

Within these different governing bodies are different local bodies that manage health care in their local areas, called Clinical Commissioning Groups. These are made up of GPs, nurses and consultants, and they are in charge of commissioning health care in local areas (so they make all the decisions as to how local care is managed). NHS trusts are a system of interconnected hospitals, GP practices, mental health services and social care services that carry out the commissioned service from the CCGs.

However, recently there have been talks of more devolution, that is to say that even more power should be transferred from Westminster and the Department for Health to CCGs and similar local groups. The hopes of this are that services would be even more aligned to what each region in the country needs.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by Capsicle101
Hello :smile:

So the structure of the NHS is actually four separate governing bodies that are independent of the government: NHS England, Scotland and Wales, and Health and Social Care in NI (Not NHS Ireland). These are allocated block funding by Westminster through the Department for Health (which I think is dependent on the population demands on healthcare under each body), but aside from that, these are quite independent and are able to make decisions about the NHS in their own countries.

Within these different governing bodies are different local bodies that manage health care in their local areas, called Clinical Commissioning Groups. These are made up of GPs, nurses and consultants, and they are in charge of commissioning health care in local areas (so they make all the decisions as to how local care is managed). NHS trusts are a system of interconnected hospitals, GP practices, mental health services and social care services that carry out the commissioned service from the CCGs.

However, recently there have been talks of more devolution, that is to say that even more power should be transferred from Westminster and the Department for Health to CCGs and similar local groups. The hopes of this are that services would be even more aligned to what each region in the country needs.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Ah thanks so much :smile:
I found a lot of this through my research but some of it was new to me - thank you.

You an aspiring medic too?

Ah thanks so much :smile:
I found a lot of this through my research but some of it was new to me - thank you.

You an aspiring medic too?

Lol yeah I figured by the time I wrote this you would have researched this independently, but just in case you hadn't and for anyone else that's a bit confused, I thought I'd write it out - it's good practice for me to recall it anyways :smile: A common question they ask from this is discuss how you think you could 'fix' the NHS, so knowing this structure in conjunction to current issues facing the NHS is vital.

Yes indeed; I applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, Cardiff and Bristol :smile: WBU?
Original post by Capsicle101
Lol yeah I figured by the time I wrote this you would have researched this independently, but just in case you hadn't and for anyone else that's a bit confused, then I thought I'd write it out - it's good practice for me to recall it anyways :smile: A common question they ask from this is to they discuss how you think you could 'fix' the NHS, so knowing this structure in conjunction to current issues facing the NHS is vital.

Yes indeed; I applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, Cardiff and Bristol :smile: WBU?

Yeah that seems to be a very common question. As well as what would you do if you were secretary of state of health, would not mind that question at all lol.

I've applied to Kings, Queen Mary, St George's and Leicester.

Hoping it goes well for the both of us!

What are some very topical medical issues that they may ask us about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending