The Student Room Group

UCL and UEA open days?

hey all,

ive submitted my UCAS and ive got replies but mainly;

UCL told me to go down there for an "open day" for science
UEA also asked me to go down, but i also have an interview thing with them on the same day.

so my question is;

Do I wear a suit and tie etc.?
and do I go with my Dad or by myself?

Reply 1
Original post by kelefi
hey all,

ive submitted my UCAS and ive got replies but mainly;

UCL told me to go down there for an "open day" for science
UEA also asked me to go down, but i also have an interview thing with them on the same day.

so my question is;

Do I wear a suit and tie etc.?
and do I go with my Dad or by myself?

Does your dad drive? If so, you would save the train fare if you take him! He might even be persuaded to pay for lunch. You don't need to take a parent, though, so it's up to you. You know your dad best, so know whether he would just be annoying or if he would ask helpful questions and provide advice. Or if he's the kind of parent that wants to be involved then he might actually want to go. Whichever option you choose, other applicants will have done the same: some take parents and others don't.

It's also up to you if you wear a suit and tie. It's never bad to look smart. But if it's an open day then you'll be doing a lot of walking, so need comfy shoes - and smart dress shoes sometimes aren't, but a suit would look stupid with trainers. Don't go overly casual or scruffy. If you don't wear a suit and tie then definitely wear something smart. If they're nice jeans you could wear those, but don't wear ones where the crotch is around your knees and the bottoms are all frayed.
Reply 2
ah thanks!

my Dad would definitely make things easier but its just that i'td be really awkward if I was the only on there with a parent xD

are there usually many other people with suits on or not?
Original post by kelefi
ah thanks!

my Dad would definitely make things easier but its just that i'td be really awkward if I was the only on there with a parent xD

For an interview I would wear a suit / smart casual. With regards to your dad being there, if it's a pre offer/interview day I wouldn't take him. If you've already had an offer you can wear what you want and take your dad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

but to be exact, the UEA has a lecture thing for parents so ill take my Dad along, but its the UCL that im more concerned about;

its a compulsary open day, i havent been interviewed by them either? so do i take my dad to this?
Original post by kelefi
ah thanks!

its normal for parents to come along to these things. At all the open days and post offer open days I went to 99% of students were with at least one parent, many with both and some had even brought siblings and grandparents.
Yes you're more than welcome to bring a parent - there will be things they can do while you're meeting others in the same position as you! If they haven't seen the campus before it's a good opportunity to do that, and they can always make use of our catering facilities while they wait. As others have put you should dress smart for interviews like with job interviews :smile: Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by University of East Anglia
Yes you're more than welcome to bring a parent - there will be things they can do while you're meeting others in the same position as you! If they haven't seen the campus before it's a good opportunity to do that, and they can always make use of our catering facilities while they wait. As others have put you should dress smart for interviews like with job interviews :smile: Good luck!

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending