The Student Room Group

Q; Which of these has the highest rates of TB; London, Iraq, Rwanda, Eritea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
I was being sarcastic... shooting badgers is just fun.

That is my point-this thread is not for intellectual debate but general discussion.
Reply 21
Yeah I hear ebola is making a comeback too....oh wait, no that's just feminism.
Original post by i<3milkshake
That is my point-this thread is not for intellectual debate but general discussion.

So why is it in the debate forum?
Original post by DiddyDec
So why is it in the debate forum?

News and current affairs subsection. So we can debate by all means, I have given my view, but it has to be about news. So;

1) I saw the news.
2) I put it here and gave my view
3) Because this is the news it can go here.

This is TSR-talking about intellectual dishonesty is taking it a bit too seriously in my view.
Reply 24

I find it so funny how this ex-UKIP man was vilified for saying London was a dirty dump;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34749969

It is stupid to say London is a dirty dump. It's a fine city, in my opinion the finest in the world next to New York.

So London has a lot of immigrants. So did ancient Rome. It's the mark of a great city that it attracts all comers
Original post by woIfie
It is stupid to say London is a dirty dump. It's a fine city, in my opinion the finest in the world next to New York.

So London has a lot of immigrants. So did ancient Rome.

It is stupid to say that London is not a dirty dump when you look at how many areas are deprived. It is a city with great inequality, in my opinion the one of the most unequal in the world behind some such as New York.

It is my opinion and hardly a stupid one. Feel free to have yours, but it is a bit supid saying mine is stupid. Go to a lot of areas and it is a dump.
Reply 26
It is stupid to say that London is not a dirty when you look at how many areas are deprived. It is a city with great inequality, in my opinion the one of the most unequal in the world behind some such as New York

Great cities have always been unequal. There are no places in London that you can really say are a slum, or are in any way seriously "dumpy". Then again, I suppose I've actually travelled a bit so I've seen cities in India and Southeast Asia that genuinely are (in fact, even places in the US I've been to)

I'm sincerely not trying to be provocative or salty, but I think your opinion on this simply tells us that you are perhaps not very worldly or widely travelled

Go to a lot of areas and it is a dump.

Name three.

I have been all over London, I've lived here for four years. Where do you live?
Reply 27
It is stupid to say that London is not a dirty dump when you look at how many areas are deprived. It is a city with great inequality, in my opinion the one of the most unequal in the world behind some such as New York.

It is my opinion and hardly a stupid one. Feel free to have yours, but it is a bit supid saying mine is stupid. Go to a lot of areas and it is a dump.

Let me try to give some colour and shape to my opinion. I'll post a picture of a few places, and tell you what I see.

http://www.rsctravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Mumbai-Slum2.jpg

That's a slum in Mumbai. They have no running water and no electricity. The people who live there have no rights to their property, and the government will often simply come in and bulldoze the houses because some wealthy developer paid a bribe to redevelop it.

That little canal there, it's not carrying flowing water. It's basically a river made of ****. It's the type of place in the world where if gangsters want to have a contract killing done, they'll often pay police officers to do it. There's no universal healthcare system, no proper system of universal education. If you want to start a business you usually have to pay a bribe to a bureaucrat. It really is a total dump.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/London_Buses_route_343_Peckham.jpg

This is a picture of Peckham, considered by some to be one of the less nice areas in London. And to someone who is a bit unworldly, and who has not travelled far, it may look a bit rundown.

What do I see? I see people in an orderly queue for a new bus, on a service that comes regularly. I see a well-maintained, sealed road with no potholes. I know that if I were to get into trouble in Peckham, honest hardworking police officers would come to the scene of the crime. I know that if I were to become ill, an ambulance would come and I would be taken to hospital (probably to the excellent Kings College hospital at Denmark Hill) to be treated irrespective of wealth or status)

I know that if I ever had a legal issue I could take it to the Peckham County Court, which would be free from corruption and where I would not have to worry about my opponent paying a bribe to the judge. I would be able to vote for local councillors who control a generally efficient, properly audited local authority, under the supervision of a generally efficient, properly audited central government. Frankly, the vast majority of the world would die to live in a place like Peckham.

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/city-of-london-web.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1024

So what do I see when I look at my city? I see a city that is the largest financial centre in the world (trades three times as much foreign exchange and derivatives as New York). A city that is a global centre for media and advertising, insurance, music, art, theatre, law, politics and publishing. A city that has many great universities and is a centre for cutting edge research. And I see a city that has many achingly beautiful parts around the Inns of Court, the Palace of Westminster, around Trafalgar Square and Pall Mall and a thousand other places.

I don't think anyone can truly "get" London without living here. It's too spread out, too quirky and unknowable, for a tourist to really get into it. And it's unfortunate that many provincials in the UK seem determined never to try due to carrying around a sense of inferiority in comparison to the metropolis.

No city is perfect, but London is definitely up there with the best. Calling it a dump really is incredibly dense. Samuel Johnson said "When you're tired of London, you're tired of life" and it is truer now than then.
Original post by woIfie
Great cities have always been unequal. There are no places in London that you can really say are a slum, or are in any way seriously "dumpy". Then again, I suppose I've actually travelled a bit so I've seen cities in India and Southeast Asia that genuinely are (in fact, even places in the US I've been to)

I'm sincerely not trying to be provocative or salty, but I think your opinion on this simply tells us that you are perhaps not very worldly or widely travelled

Name three.

I have been all over London, I've lived here for four years. Where do you live?

Name three? Southall, Tower Hamlets, many areas in Hackney...
I have been to more places than I am years old. You can assume what you like, doesn't bother me. That you think the above places aren't dumps just tells me you probably live in a dump and don't recognise one when you see it.
Name three? Oh please. The well travelled know that these areas are dumps. Or if you are well travelled but only have the money to visit dumps I guess they tend to look quite nice.
Nothing? I don't remember saying it was "nothing". I said clearly in several posts it was a problem.

However, when the population of London has only just returned to the level it was at in the 1930's it is evident that the numbers currently in London are not the sole reason; immigration plays a part but what is also the problem is how few houses there are on the market and those that are reasonably priced are often dilapidated.

Many immigrants aren't rocket scientists but then most native English people aren't either. In my personal view it amazes me how despite having a free and high quality education system the native English manage to not get jobs over both EU and non-EU migrants who never had the education opportunities the native British had. I mean the way immigration is supposed to work is that you, with your high quality education, do the good jobs and they do the poor and low paid. However, as it turns out if we want doctors we have to look to foreigners because British people don't want to do it. This is a high paying, high prestige job and British people evidently don't want to become GP's-why?

The classic argument over employing foreigners is due to low wages-well GP's can get huge salaries. I'm not sure what immigrants being rocket scientists has to do with this thread, but since it is mentioned I have to be honest the native population in my view really should be laughed at for being less employable than migrants from the likes of Poland, Bulgaria and Romania.

With skilled jobs especially things like GPs it's quite simple. If a shortage is identified and training to be a doctor incentivised it takes 5 years or more before it will be plugged by new recruits. With immigration we can take qualified doctors from other countries and get them immediately and with no training outlay.

Also British trained doctors know they can earn more in markets that pay them more like Australia. Fiscal conservatism that makes the NHS a dysfunctional stressful low paid place to work results in the exacerbation of shortage and ultimately more money than before needs to be spent. We see this even more keenly with teachers who now need to be bribed with £30k tax free stipend as well as student style tuition fee loans.
(edited 8 years ago)
Both political parties are too London centric, they only have themselves to blame. But regardless people will keep flooding into London since the apparent jobs/wages are there.

Have fun making the rich, richer!
I have been to more places than I am years old. You can assume what you like, doesn't bother me. That you think the above places aren't dumps just tells me you probably live in a dump and don't recognise one when you see it.
Name three? Oh please. The well travelled know that these areas are dumps. Or if you are well travelled but only have the money to visit dumps I guess they tend to look quite nice.

Dumps? The houses still sell for 500k + a pop now. Extremely valuable property areas now regardless. People who own can easily sell up and buy two properties in areas you would deem to be "nice" outside of London.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Dumps? The houses still sell for 500k + a pop now. Extremely valuable property areas now regardless. People who own can easily sell up and buy two properties in areas you would deem to be "nice" outside of London.

Go to the areas I have mentioned-the prices might be high but they are still dumps.
Someone areas of London are amongst the most deprived in Europe-and despite that the properties are still expensive. (Someone in Question Time hilariously made this point recently about Tottenham I believe-worth a watch since the episode was based in London).
Go to the areas I have mentioned-the prices might be high but they are still dumps.
Someone areas of London are amongst the most deprived in Europe-and despite that the properties are still expensive. (Someone in Question Time hilariously made this point recently about Tottenham I believe-worth a watch since the episode was based in London).

As a free market capitalist i couldn't care less. If someone gave me a house worth 500k+! They might be deprived but they're still extremely valuable property. Way more expensive than some of the "nicer" parts of Britain.
As a free market capitalist i couldn't care less. If someone gave me a house worth 500k+! They might be deprived but they're still extremely valuable property. Way more expensive than some of the "nicer" parts of Britain.

If people are renting it isn't their home. If people have a huge mortgage that is 20 times their salary they will have a low standard of living compared to those whose mortgage is 5-10 times their wage.

You can say "I couldn't care less" but since this thread is talking about deprived areas, and the prices contribute a lot to this, it is relevant and worth caring about.
If people are renting it isn't their home. If people have a huge mortgage that is 20 times their salary they will have a low standard of living compared to those whose mortgage is 5-10 times their wage.

You can say "I couldn't care less" but since this thread is talking about deprived areas, and the prices contribute a lot to this, it is relevant and worth caring about.

Not really. Council/Social policies of those areas is more relevant. They have always been perceived to be low income areas so policies reflect that. The undesirables will be re-housed in these areas regardless of what the locals want. This is not just to do with immigration alone. Not many people in London own their own homes and no one can get 20 times their salary mortgage. What troll nonsense are you talking!?

I will conclude you're just jealous you can't buy into these areas - 500k+ is way out of your league sunshine. I'm sure you have some tea/coffee to make.
Not really. Council/Social policies of those areas is more relevant. They have always been perceived to be low income areas so policies reflect that. The undesirables will be re-housed in these areas regardless of what the locals want. This is not just to do with immigration alone. Not many people in London own their own homes and no one can get 20 times their salary mortgage. What troll nonsense are you talking!?

I will conclude you're just jealous you can't buy into these areas - 500k+ is way out of your league sunshine. I'm sure you have some tea/coffee to make.

What troll nonsense are you talking? House prices don't matter? Lol.
I'm an accountant. Tea/cofee? Sure. Obvious trolling. Who knows, if you study hard and stop being a rude little girl, perhaps you can be the tea lady for my office. That said, that is probably out of your league. And I'm 22-why would I have a 500k mortgage? Either you are a weirdo who thinks 22 year olds after a few years of working will get a huge half a million mortgage or you are just once of those 30 year old lurkers on here, in which case stop being such a predator and get a life?
I wouldn't live in London if you gave me 100000 £.
It's a overpopulated, polluted and smelly hell hole of a city
It's soooo expensive to even rent if you're a professional then do expect to share a flat with a group of people well into your 30s what kind of life is that ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Nothing? I don't remember saying it was "nothing". I said clearly in several posts it was a problem.

However, when the population of London has only just returned to the level it was at in the 1930's it is evident that the numbers currently in London are not the sole reason; immigration plays a part but what is also the problem is how few houses there are on the market and those that are reasonably priced are often dilapidated.

Many immigrants aren't rocket scientists but then most native English people aren't either. In my personal view it amazes me how despite having a free and high quality education system the native English manage to not get jobs over both EU and non-EU migrants who never had the education opportunities the native British had. I mean the way immigration is supposed to work is that you, with your high quality education, do the good jobs and they do the poor and low paid. However, as it turns out if we want doctors we have to look to foreigners because British people don't want to do it. This is a high paying, high prestige job and British people evidently don't want to become GP's-why?

The classic argument over employing foreigners is due to low wages-well GP's can get huge salaries. I'm not sure what immigrants being rocket scientists has to do with this thread, but since it is mentioned I have to be honest the native population in my view really should be laughed at for being less employable than migrants from the likes of Poland, Bulgaria and Romania.

Did you know in some areas there are more unemployed people than there are jobs.
The system is created this way so people are desperate for jobs and in turn employers can pay peanuts. In fact a new Costa coffee opened in Nottingham and over 2000 people applied for just 7 or so positions.
Don't blame people who are unemployed because clearly the system has failed them did you also know that if someone is on Jobseeker allowance they are not allowed to attend meaningful courses that could one day help them in the Job market.

If they are long term unemployed they are forced to work for no money in a charity shop which will not benefit them in the long term.
The provider gets paid £600 for every referral they get from the Jobcentre that money could clearly go towards the NHS and also towards courses that could benefit the Jobseekers chances of gaining employment in the long term.
Things like being able to drive so the £600 could be spent on driving lesson ect.
Reply 39

There are many parts of Tower Hamlets and Hackney that are quite nice. I'd love to have a handsome Georgian terrace in Tower Hamlets. Like all areas, there are nice bits and less nice bits. But there is no part of London that is in any way comparable to a real slum.

If you had travelled outside Europe perhaps, you might have a broader perspective on such things. No doubt you have that giant provincial chip on your shoulder about living outside London that causes you to make silly and irrational criticisms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending