The Student Room Group

Psychology OR Psychology and Criminology?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ricefarmer
I got an A, but i have no idea how. I hated sociology the most!

I hated Sociology last year too and somehow got an A, but it's my favourite subject so far this year :smile:

Original post by hellodave5
I would probably go for Psychology or Criminology :smile:
If you include Criminology, you lose BPS accreditation I think?? (which means you can't apply for the high paying Psych jobs, if you think you want to do them later on - e.g. clinical psychology).

Not necessarily.
Original post by emiloujess
I hated Sociology last year too and somehow got an A, but it's my favourite subject so far this year :smile:

Not necessarily.

Not necessarily? Expand?
Reply 22
Original post by mizzsnazzter
With those grades don't waste applications with the last three as you can do better than that! Push yourself and apply to the best universities - you can do it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! that's so motivating :smile:
What unis do you guys recommend, Ive been on my laptop for hours now looking at different unis, I dont really want to go further than nottingham.

Ive updated my list of courses:
Southampton* Psychology
Sussex Psychology
De montfort Psychology and Criminology
Loughborough Psychology
Nottingham Psychology
Not necessarily? Expand?

There are tonnes of Universities that offer Psychology and Criminology as a Joint Honours degree and still has BPS Accreditation.
Reply 24
I would probably go for Psychology or Criminology :smile:
If you include Criminology, you lose BPS accreditation I think?? (which means you can't apply for the high paying Psych jobs, if you think you want to do them later on - e.g. clinical psychology).

for De Montfort, you still get the BPS accreditation, they still cover everything you need for it :smile:
There are tonnes of Universities that offer Psychology and Criminology as a Joint Honours degree and still has BPS Accreditation.

Thanks. That's good!! - I didn't realise that was the case.
Been ages since I started my Psych degree - and have often heard people complain about their lack of BPS accreditation with their joint hons degree, so made a tentative assumption that it may be like that with joint degrees in Psych/Crim.
Good luck with the degree. Long journey ahead.
for De Montfort, you still get the BPS accreditation, they still cover everything you need for it :smile:

That's good!!
Reply 27
Been ages since I started my Psych degree - and have often heard people complain about their lack of BPS accreditation with their joint hons degree, so made a tentative assumption that it may be like that with joint degrees in Psych/Crim.

What uni do you go to? If you dont mind me askiing
Reply 28
Can anyone recommend ONE university that:
- has any aspect of forensic/criminology but is mostly psychology
- campus based uni
- not in wales and not further than nottingham
- good social life?

I haven't applied for Psychology. I was looking at Psychology degrees before and that's how I know. But I hope I get where I want to be! :smile:
Can anyone recommend ONE university that:
- has any aspect of forensic/criminology but is mostly psychology
- campus based uni
- not in wales and not further than nottingham
- good social life?

Keele?
http://www.keele.ac.uk/ugcourses/psychology/

It has BPS Accreditation and you can do Psych with Criminology.
thank you! that's so motivating :smile:
What unis do you guys recommend, Ive been on my laptop for hours now looking at different unis, I dont really want to go further than nottingham.

Ive updated my list of courses:
Southampton* Psychology
Sussex Psychology
De montfort Psychology and Criminology
Loughborough Psychology
Nottingham Psychology

That list is so much better! :smile: I'd still be tempted to swap de Montfort for something else, maybe Portsmouth, Birmingham, Warwick, Royal Holloway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by mizzsnazzter
That list is so much better! :smile: I'd still be tempted to swap de Montfort for something else, maybe Portsmouth, Birmingham, Warwick, Royal Holloway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the only reason I chose De montfort is as a backup option :tongue:
And I was considering portsmouth but its not a campus based university! I really want to go to a campus uni :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
I did Psychology with Criminology for my degree, as long as you ensure you get BPS accreditation for your psychology then I recommend doing that as a joint honours. Both topics are very interesting but if you find that you don't enjoy one of them then you can usually switch to single honours.
What uni do you go to? If you dont mind me askiing

Sheffield Hallam and currently doing the cognitive neuroscience masters. From Sheffield and wanted to stay local, but unfortunately didn't get into Uni of. Happy with my general experience though - mixed bunch with a nice campus.
I haven't applied for Psychology. I was looking at Psychology degrees before and that's how I know. But I hope I get where I want to be! :smile:

What you going for? :smile:
the only reason I chose De montfort is as a backup option :tongue:
And I was considering portsmouth but its not a campus based university! I really want to go to a campus uni :tongue:

I wouldn't waste an application there tbh, you're better than that so realistically you would never be happy if you ended up there. Also, here's Royal Holloway (beautiful campus) https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/criminologyandsociology/coursefinder/bsccriminologyandpsychology.aspx. You should also be ok slipping a grade with Royal Holloway because they're quite known for being lenient on results day... Obvs no guarantee ofc

Posted from TSR Mobile
What you going for? :smile:

Various Politics Joint Honours, hoping to actually have a career in Politics :smile: (btw so jealous of you living in Sheffield Hallam!)
Various Politics Joint Honours, hoping to actually have a career in Politics :smile: (btw so jealous of you living in Sheffield Hallam!)

Bit sick of it after 4 and a bit years though :tongue:. Don't live, just study there.
Oo interesting, being a politician would be cool. Politics is admittedly something I know almost nothing about :redface:
Bit sick of it after 4 and a bit years though :tongue:. Don't live, just study there.
Oo interesting, being a politician would be cool. Politics is admittedly something I know almost nothing about :redface:

Not because of the area, but the MP is someone I really hope to meet :colondollar: SH isn't one I've applied to, I'm planning to firm Cardiff and insure Aberystwyth :smile:

I didn't until the 8th of May.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending