The Student Room Group

Australia gap year

Hi guys I'm going to take a gap year next year and would be so greatful if anyone that's been to Australia could give me some help with some questions and worries I have - I'm thinking of leaving in May and only turn 18 a few months after in August - do I have to be 18 when I register for a working visa or can I still be 17, also can I already be in Australia when registering for it or should I go there later than May. Secondly, I'm staying with family so I won't be needing any money for hostels and food - things like that will be paid for. I'm worried if I don't have enough saved in my bank as you have to have a certain amount of money in the bank - will stating with family affect this in any way? I'd be so greatful for any tips and experiences anyone would share with me. THANKS!
Go later. You want to be all set and verified so that when you go through customs there's no doubts. Also, it shouldn't affect it, but if you have some saved up as back up but get proof and verification of where your provisions are Coming from , you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by rhiannonm25
Hi guys I'm going to take a gap year next year and would be so greatful if anyone that's been to Australia could give me some help with some questions and worries I have - I'm thinking of leaving in May and only turn 18 a few months after in August - do I have to be 18 when I register for a working visa or can I still be 17, also can I already be in Australia when registering for it or should I go there later than May. Secondly, I'm staying with family so I won't be needing any money for hostels and food - things like that will be paid for. I'm worried if I don't have enough saved in my bank as you have to have a certain amount of money in the bank - will stating with family affect this in any way? I'd be so greatful for any tips and experiences anyone would share with me. THANKS!

I'd wait until you were 18, if only because the weather will start getting better after that. Remember that our summer is their winter and it can get very cold in parts of Australia in the winter!

You have to apply for the visa before you go.

The money in the bank requirement is to show you can support yourself. They are far more relaxed on this if you have a return ticket, have somewhere to stay already arranged and have a working holiday visa which enables you to work for extra cash.

Quote me in if you have any other questions, I spent a gap year travelling & working around Australia.
Original post by Reue
I'd wait until you were 18, if only because the weather will start getting better after that. Remember that our summer is their winter and it can get very cold in parts of Australia in the winter!

You have to apply for the visa before you go.

The money in the bank requirement is to show you can support yourself. They are far more relaxed on this if you have a return ticket, have somewhere to stay already arranged and have a working holiday visa which enables you to work for extra cash.

Quote me in if you have any other questions, I spent a gap year travelling & working around Australia.

Is there not an option for a parent to apply for you if you're under 18? Also how much did the travel insurance cost you altogether?
Reply 4
Original post by rhiannonm25
Is there not an option for a parent to apply for you if you're under 18? Also how much did the travel insurance cost you altogether?

No, you have to be 18 to get the VISA.

I paid about £100 for the years insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending