The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Canterbury bloke
Can I see some evidence that women in the UK get executed fopr being raped? Perhaps some evidence about being forced to bribe police officers? Thought not.

Why are you introducing the victim blaming problem in this answer?

Could you please make some cogent statements?

Once again you are deflectiing the issue and going into other directions because you can't argue about these stats. What you are saying is simply you assuming things without any sources.

rape culture will continue to strive with attitutes like yours. Many british women are embracing feminism because sexaul assaults on them is so rampant.
Original post by Canterbury bloke
Can I see some evidence that women in the UK get executed fopr being raped? Perhaps some evidence about being forced to bribe police officers? Thought not.

Why are you introducing the victim blaming problem in this answer?

Could you please make some cogent statements?

prsom
Original post by slade p
Because rape and sexual assault is a horrendous crime against person, stealing things does not physically harm people.

Violent crime with injury (nearly 20 times) doesn't harm people?
Vehicle offences don't harm people?
Reply 103
Original post by Jammy Duel
Violent crime with injury (nearly 20 times) doesn't harm people?
Vehicle offences don't harm people?

Well blame society for viewing rape as more serious then other violent crimes, certainly feminists are part of that. rape is more easy to latch onto because its a specific act which can be focused on while the others are more complex.

But this is about rape where the amounts of rape are very high and not much is being done.

vehicle offenses depends on what it is, which once again shows that there a varying vehicle offenses too.
Reply 104
Original post by Rinsed
We do not have a rape culture. Rape is almost universally viewed as amongst the most heinous of crimes. Even just the accusation can cause huge damage to someone's life, because it is so reviled.

Any number of rapes is too many, the numbers you quote are high, but they're amongst the lowest of any country or society ever. Look at certain places in the Middle East and Africa, there are places where the culture genuinely does accept and condone rape. The UK is categorically not one of those places, and a few stupid students making stupid jokes which are offensive to the vast majority of people, or the like, does not change that.

Personally I think people who bang on about rape culture need to get off their ****ing pedestal. People saying things or making jokes which you personally find offensive is not indicative of a culture where rape is 'normalised' or accepted. Especially when things you lot find offensive include any questioning of your opinions over how the subject should be defined and treated.

For instance, that girl did egg on her abuser. No one is questioning that the man committed a crime, but we should not ignore facts because they are ugly. If you claim that makes us a rape culture, I say you're using the term as a stick to silence any debate with your interpretation of the subject.

your talking out of thin air, what legitmate sources do you have to say middle east and african countries accept and condone rape? and you can't just show a source showing specific people condoning it since you are saying that generally it's like that.

You saying the numbers i quote are among the lowest of any country shows how ignorant you are. I am quoting it because it's among the highest in the world both in terms of the amount or rapes and also the rate of rape.
Original post by slade p
Well blame society for viewing rape as more serious then other violent crimes, certainly feminists are part of that. rape is more easy to latch onto because its a specific act which can be focused on while the others are more complex.

But this is about rape where the amounts of rape are very high and not much is being done.

vehicle offenses depends on what it is, which once again shows that there a varying vehicle offenses too.

The amount of violent crime is very high, 40 times as many cases per annum as rapes, and little is being done to stop them.
And how exactly is violent crime more complex: I take my fist and beat the crap out of somebody, say, that's not complex, it's something that we have been doing since the dawn of time. There are, for all intents and purposes, next to no rapes
Reply 106
The amount of violent crime is very high, 40 times as many cases per annum as rapes, and little is being done to stop them.
And how exactly is violent crime more complex: I take my fist and beat the crap out of somebody, say, that's not complex, it's something that we have been doing since the dawn of time. There are, for all intents and purposes, next to no rapes

Lol i'm not arguing that little is being done about other violent crime. This just shows that britain doesn't take violent crime seriously just like with sexual violence.

Britain wants to shove it under the carpet which is an absolute disgrace.
Original post by slade p
Lol i'm not arguing that little is being done about other violent crime. This just shows that britain doesn't take violent crime seriously just like with sexual violence.

Britain wants to shove it under the carpet which is an absolute disgrace.

Or how about it accepts that it is a reality of life...like rapes happening...
Feminists say men should be taught not to rape, something that does happen, and just like everybody is told not to be violent, and funny how that's still around.
You seem to think you have all the answers, why not give us all a lecture on the perfect way to eliminate all crime?
Reply 108
Or how about it accepts that it is a reality of life...like rapes happening...
Feminists say men should be taught not to rape, something that does happen, and just like everybody is told not to be violent, and funny how that's still around.
You seem to think you have all the answers, why not give us all a lecture on the perfect way to eliminate all crime?

No rape/sexual assaults or other crime can't be eradicated, but it can be reduced to relatively low amounts which is not the case when it comes to the U.K

People take for granted that women are scared to walk alone at night, but that's not such a normal thing unless sexual/violent crime is rampant as it is. That's why society see it as normal.

Also how many times has a british girl said that they crossed the road when seeing a guy walking towards them. They are petrified.
Reply 109
Original post by Rinsed
In Saudi Arabia, for instance, it is perfectly legal to rape your wives. It's far from the only example of a country where that's legal, and that's far from the only practise people in this country would find horrifying, everyone knows how raw a deal Saudi women get. Or the prevalence of rape and sexual assault in Egypt after the revolution which the police did nothing about. Or Dubai, where a Norwegian woman was prosecuted for extramarital sex after being raped. In Afghanistan rape victims are routinely honour-killed by their own families. But instead on campaigning on genuine issues like that, you lot would rather victimise students who say silly things.

On the second point, it just isn't. Everyone know that the reason it appears high is because we are much better at reporting it than pretty much everywhere else. Indeed, many things we would call rape other countries simply wouldn't. Now like I said, any number is too high, but a woman living in Britain is safer than she would be almost anywhere else.

Only 15% of rape is reported in U.K
Original post by slade p
They were admitted by the victims from research done on the issue.

How did they find them and how could they know if those were true cases?
Original post by slade p
No rape/sexual assaults or other crime can't be eradicated, but it can be reduced to relatively low amounts which is not the case when it comes to the U.K

People take for granted that women are scared to walk alone at night, but that's not such a normal thing unless sexual/violent crime is rampant as it is. That's why society see it as normal.

Also how many times has a british girl said that they crossed the road when seeing a guy walking towards them. They are petrified.

I have never heard a British girl say that, most certainly not one that doesn't actually rant about "rape culture" and what passes for "feminism" these days constantly. How many guys do the same thing?

Original post by slade p
Only 15% of rape is reported in U.K

A stat people throw around but never cite the source of
It makes me sick. I will never understand. How these people can scar someone's WHOLE life just for one moment of pleasure.
Original post by slade p
Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Why is rape and sexual assaults rampant in the u.k?

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

[video]https://youtu.be/25-G75Lz5x0[/video]

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php - They obviously have to exaggerate & stir feelings to get their funding. Following the stats : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/214970/sexual-offending-overview-jan-2013.pdf "estimated that 0.5 per cent of females report being a victim of the most serious offences of rape or sexual assault by penetration in the previous 12 months, equivalent to around 85,000 victims on average per year. Among males, less than
0.1 per cent (around 12,000) report being a victim of the same types of offences in the previous 12 months."
Males over 16 can't be legally raped, statutory rape is for 16 or under. I wonder what the conviction rate for that is when we have women walking away free for rape https://toysoldier.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/grandmother-who-raped-boy-walks-after-admitting-the-abuse/
Along with "affairs" & google ""male rape, hot for teacher" to see how women are not punished.

Misinformation in Rape Stats - here is how the Enliven Project play the stats propaganda game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hCUh6ZIchU

Be wary of just using BBC for rape info, because they (deliberately e.g. Jay Cheshire) miss out info on false rape i.e. the BBC has Never reported a single male suicide caused by false rape allegations https://hequal.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/bbc-has-never-reported-a-single-suicide-caused-by-false-rape-allegations/

In USA they had "made to penetrate" figures for men in 2013, as there is no male rape for envelopment, it counts as sexual assault & the figures for rape was almost the same (have written elsewhere).

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/year-ending-march-2015/index.html Latest show "Sexual offences recorded by the police rose by 37% with the numbers of rapes (29,265) and other sexual offences (58,954) being at the highest level since the introduction of the National Crime Recording Standard in 2002/03. As well as improvements in recording, this is also thought to reflect a greater willingness of victims to come forward to report such crimes" - men were more willing, hence rise, but they decided to cut funding, whilst millions more spent on women rape centres (I also wrote about)!

--
Sexual & Intimate Violence against women is the ONLY violence that has more women than men (when I checked last year). Do you perhaps think men underreport?
So I will say it is men who should be afraid of walking alone, to avoid GBH, ABH, etc. as it will be someone they do not know.
Table 1.01 M:F 16,176:19,195 of violence by offence type for 2013/14. More here http://voteprint.co.uk/mankind/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/30-Key-Facts-Male-Victims-April-2015.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by slade p
Once again you are deflectiing the issue and going into other directions because you can't argue about these stats. What you are saying is simply you assuming things without any sources.

rape culture will continue to strive with attitutes like yours. Many british women are embracing feminism because sexaul assaults on them is so rampant.

It seems odd that when someone replies to a post you make you bang on about them having no evidence or claim they are making assumptions. I asked you for evidence in response to an earlier post you made.

Kindly tell me what, exactly, my attitude is. You seem to be very sure that I have an attitude that does not match yours but - since you are the expert on my beliefs and feelings - I bow to your greater knowledge of me and ask you to explain what I am thinking.

Alternatively: why not just continue to rant and rave and make little sense at all?
Original post by slade p
even british poliiticians are at it

[video="youtube;KE5db52mC10"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5db52mC10[/video]

This could get you into trouble. You do know what you are implying, don't you? You do know that your IP address is linked to this comment?
Original post by Gears265
A completely different example altogether. The USA for one has a pathetic gun law. Two the USA is 30+ times larger than us so managing crime is far more tougher and harder to regulate. Three the system of States has meant justice and criminal laws vary between states. Then there is the whole issue of prostitution and drugs (being next to Mexico does not help) that confuses things.

Overall to use the USA as an example is stupid. They make up for their tough criminal justice with illogical laws and based on their population density, demographics, history, politics, education and a whole host of things using them to reflect what would happen in this country is ludicrous.

On tough prisons, I don't actually care about the well being of these scum.

And I am not trolling when I say I support the death penalty, I support lengthy sentences and I support extreme punishments on criminals. Do you think I am a lefty pretending to support those things? Grow up, the death penalty for example is more popular than you think.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QtwIwBWoVChMIu9yZh_CIyQIVBMcUCh0gbw38&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkZUPCB9533Y&usg=AFQjCNGUEgcRbB82VxcjKg1nGh2xX-6TXA&sig2=AM0ultMV1qUmDkZuI_6OIw&bvm=bv.107406026,bs.2,d.ZWU
How on earth do you come up with the figure that it's only 15% of rapes that get reported? :confused:
Surely such a figure is arbitrary!

It seems that some people are determined to fear-monger. On one hand, if an area has a low number of reported rapes then it is said that people are under-reporting and if the numbers are high then it is said that the numbers are accurate and the area has a problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
There less than 85,000 people in UK prisons.

It's pretty obvious these are not cases of rapes which actually resulted in proof and conviction.
Reply 119
Original post by Bill_Gates
Hm read about it all the time on the news. No moral back bone! nothing new.

Moral backbone! Lol! As my dear grandmother ("Gawd rest er") used to exclaim......"There's no British spunk anymore....."

Apparently, judging by these rape statistics she was completely wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending