The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why should euthanasia be legalised in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

To put an end to enormous pain that some of the terminally ill suffer from. It's easy to say that there's nothing better than living but they don't even imagine what kind of hell it is for those in pain.
Reply 21
Support its legalisation but that's because I believe that these choices should be up to the individual. If he/she does want to end their life, it should not be anyone else's right to stop them from doing it.
As much as I agree murder and anything along those lines are wrong, if there is so much suffering caused to a human where there life is reduced to nothing, I.e. A state of vegetation, and the person has specified in an able state that they want it to take place then it should. I watched my pops deteriorate and die an extremely painful death at the hands of the NHS, over 3 months I've never witnessed such neglect in my life. He could've been in heaven a lot sooner and less painful than necessary, but because euthanasia wasn't allowed he passed on Christmas Day in my arms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WokSz
Support its legalisation but that's because I believe that these choices should be up to the individual. If he/she does want to end their life, it should not be anyone else's right to stop them from doing it.

True, but to play devils advocate here, this doesn't necessarily lead to the right to demand that doctors put you down.
Reply 24
Original post by VV Cephei A
True, but to play devils advocate here, this doesn't necessarily lead to the right to demand that doctors put you down.

Very good point. But then doctors in Switzerland are not forced to do it. It's only conducted in certain clinics by medical professionals who consent. Point being that the choice to decide is left to the individual and not the government.
Original post by WokSz
Very good point. But then doctors in Switzerland are not forced to do it. It's only conducted in certain clinics by medical professionals who consent. Point being that the choice to decide is left to the individual and not the government.
Euthanasia is actually illegal in Switzerland, it's assisted suicide which is available. I think ultimately, the final act of suicide has to rest with the individual, because the "right to die" simply implies one's right to take their own life if they desire, not request that someone else does it.
this is an amzing point! i have never looked at this in this way, as i am doing a discursive essay and i wasint sure if i wanted to do it perswasive or argumentative but from looking at this side of view i have definatly made my point by making it perswasive to letting it become legal!
Hi sorry this is an old post but can you remember the man's name by any chance need to do a are study as I'm doing thr exactly the same essay lol thanks in advance cxc
Original post by WokSz

People might take advantage. How does one even begin to oversee who something like this applies to?