The Student Room Group

a level mathematics trigonometry help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oniisanitstoobig
The bounds given in the question are in radians, I think it'd be safe to assume radians will be used.

They're correct if we assume they're in radians.
Reply 21
Original post by oniisanitstoobig
The bounds given in the question are in radians, I think it'd be safe to assume radians will be used.

Original post by nazz97
found the values of tan theta in degrees

Original post by Zacken
There was a thread that came up with something like this (the way students learn methods instead of understanding) a few days ago, except it was in the context of integration. Can't remember it for the life of me though.

Unfortunately, it is a trap many of us students fall into.

Have you heard how Feynman used to do his integrals? Well, there were many in his class that couldn't solve some integrals, and he was the only one who could, as he had a better understanding of them. That's why I try and look for as many solutions as possible so as to find the most effective method.
Original post by Zacken

There we go. So he did have to find it in degrees.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Marxist
Unfortunately, it is a trap many of us students fall into.

Have you heard how Feynman used to do his integrals? Well, there were many in his class that couldn't solve some integrals, and he was the only one who could, as he had a better understanding of them. That's why I try and look for as many solutions as possible so as to find the most effective method.

Differentiation under the integral sign, as soon as I finished reading the book "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman", I went and looked up PDF's explaining the method and practiced a few integrals using it. Amazing. :-)
Reply 25
Original post by Marxist
There we go. So he did have to find it in degrees.

Either that or he's just made a little slip-up whilst typing it down. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Differentiation under the integral sign, as soon as I finished reading the book "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman", I went and looked up PDF's explaining the method and practiced a few integrals using it. Amazing. :-)

I know right! I was in awe. It's amazing how much influence he's had on us, even after his death.

If it weren't for Feynman, I'd be going into problems mindlessly. You know, the way they teach us in school.
Original post by Zacken
Either that or he's just made a little slip-up whilst typing it down. :tongue:

Yeah :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXWv2jR4nc

I recommend you watch Dr. Chris for this, too - he's an amazing mathematician.
Reply 29
Original post by Marxist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXWv2jR4nc

I recommend you watch Dr. Chris for this, too - he's an amazing mathematician.

I've watched that as well. :lol:
@Zacken The integral you are thinking about from the other day was 11x2dx\displaystyle \int_{-1}^1 x^{-2} dx I believe.
Original post by Zacken
I've watched that as well. :lol:

That's great! :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by 16Characters....
@Zacken The integral you are thinking about from the other day was 11x2dx\displaystyle \int_{-1}^1 x^{-2} dx I believe.

Indeed! Thanks for that!

@Marxist The "person who learnt the method" would get 2-2 as an answer (which would make no sense, given that the function was positive everywhere) whilst the person who understood would say that the integral didn't converge.

Quick Reply

Latest