The Student Room Group

New York girl living in Britain AMA !

Scroll to see replies

If I had a choice to live in either NYC or London, I'd definitely pick London. My first visit to NYC was so unsatisfying ugh.. It is probably the absolute most overrated city ever.
Reply 61
I was in NYC last summer in August, man it was hot. Sorry, but the subway just can't compare to London Underground.

I liked it though, I'm unsure if I'd go back though. Prefer the beaches/atmosphere of cali
Reply 62
Original post by MadeInNewYork
Hey everyone !

Just joined this forum, a friend told me about it so thought I'd give it a try ! :biggrin:

Thought I'd make an AMA so I can get to know people here and hopefully you people can get to know me, and hopefully make some new friends :smile:

So I live in Britain and have been since I was 10.

Ask away !

Do you get called an immigrant and that you steal British jobs working 100hrs per week yet somehow still get paid 100 million in benefits????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
Do you get called an immigrant and that you steal British jobs working 100hrs per week yet somehow still get paid 100 million in benefits????

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop trolling and taking the mickey. That is just rude.
Back to OP:
Okay, I have a few questions. If it is of any contextual help, I have foreign parents, but i am british(born here) and live in south london, but hey ive been around, and i am also 17, in sixth form.
How well did you do in your gcses last summer? Would you, based on a greater knowledge than I on American schooling, argue that gcses are easier or vice versa?
My friend wants to go apply for aeronautical engineering at MIT, are the chances really lower than something like Imperial in the Uk? Would/are you considering going back to New York/America for future studies or a job?
Also in relation to transport. Why exactly is it that you prefer the Britiah system? (I am completely ignorant of how american systems are/NY) but I find the tube/underground is severely congested a lot the time... literally squishing in on every train especially on the main lines (which i dont know lol) but i.e jubilee/northern. Same with inter city trains i.e overground which are often packed. And buses too, which are often full up- everyone standing up right till the front door! Anyone else has to wait for the next.
Also, i love london, but do you find it safer in NY or here? Since its really dark here now.. after 4-5pm with winter, it feels quite gloomy and scary perhaps? I dont know my point but take this question in whatever way :smile:
Thanks, T
Original post by pereira325
Stop trolling and taking the mickey. That is just rude.
Back to OP:
Okay, I have a few questions. If it is of any contextual help, I have foreign parents, but i am british(born here) and live in south london, but hey ive been around, and i am also 17, in sixth form.
How well did you do in your gcses last summer? Would you, based on a greater knowledge than I on American schooling, argue that gcses are easier or vice versa?
My friend wants to go apply for aeronautical engineering at MIT, are the chances really lower than something like Imperial in the Uk? Would/are you considering going back to New York/America for future studies or a job?
Also in relation to transport. Why exactly is it that you prefer the Britiah system? (I am completely ignorant of how american systems are/NY) but I find the tube/underground is severely congested a lot the time... literally squishing in on every train especially on the main lines (which i dont know lol) but i.e jubilee/northern. Same with inter city trains i.e overground which are often packed. And buses too, which are often full up- everyone standing up right till the front door! Anyone else has to wait for the next.
Also, i love london, but do you find it safer in NY or here? Since its really dark here now.. after 4-5pm with winter, it feels quite gloomy and scary perhaps? I dont know my point but take this question in whatever way :smile:
Thanks, T

I have not been through american schooling! I can not answer most of these comparison questions since I moved to the UK when I was 10, why before I had to sit any meaningful exams.
Be happy with what transport you have in London, because I can tell you it's the best in the world. Yeah it can get really busy at peak hours but that's with any city that's busy.
I like the winter and night time so I'm not complaining about the short days.
x.

Do Americans like dogs, tea and coffee as much as British people do?
In America is it an acceptable conversation starter to moan about the weather like it is here?
Probably the first interesting AMA on TSR ever.

Favourite American sweet/candy? If you could only have British or American candy, which one would you choose? I hear they have a good selection.
Original post by Use Err Name
Probably the first interesting AMA on TSR ever.

Favourite American sweet/candy? If you could only have British or American candy, which one would you choose? I hear they have a good selection.

I don't like sweets :colondollar:

Original post by i<3milkshake
Do Americans like dogs, tea and coffee as much as British people do?
In America is it an acceptable conversation starter to moan about the weather like it is here?

Umm, they like dogs and coffee, but not tea i think ?
People don't really moan about the weather :tongue:
I don't like sweets :colondollar:

You don't like sweets?

*least interesting AMA on TSR ever.
Original post by Use Err Name
You don't like sweets?

*least interesting AMA on TSR ever.

I like chocolates :frown:

Oh my God I love the American accent!

Really? I think it is like nails on a chalkboard, too loud and screechy.

What do American people think of the British Royal Family? Cool or not?

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Really? I think it is like nails on a chalkboard, too loud and screechy.

I love it:colondollar:
Original post by grvcex97
If I had a choice to live in either NYC or London, I'd definitely pick London. My first visit to NYC was so unsatisfying ugh.. It is probably the absolute most overrated city ever.

I've never been to NYC. I think London can be really overrated and overpriced but then it does have variety. I think they say NYC is safer now. I'm probably in a minority here, but I prefer Paris to London, much more inspiring and it feels intimate whilst still being really big and having loads to explore.
(edited 8 years ago)
I like chocolates :frown:

Is UK or American chocolate better?

(Both are put to shame by Switzerland. When I went there I literally took an empty suitcase that I could fill with chocolate on the way back and my only regret was not getting my family to do the same).

I love it:colondollar:

I've probably seen too many loud silly women on reality TV shows, rather than normal people to be fair.
Is the Battery up and the Bronx down ? so confusing :dontknow:

What a waste, royal family my arse.

Is UK or American chocolate better?

(Both are put to shame by Switzerland. When I went there I literally took an empty suitcase that I could fill with chocolate on the way back and my only regret was not getting my family to do the same).

Both the same ? I mean cadbury is cadbury, no ? xD

I do know that switzerland and belgium make their own chocolates though, but UK and US share brands.
What a waste, royal family my arse.

Totallly agree.

Both the same ? I mean cadbury is cadbury, no ? xD

I do know that switzerland and belgium make their own chocolates though, but UK and US share brands.

I thought there could be a difference, but turns out no.

American schools or British schools, differences and which do you like more?
I thought there could be a difference, but turns out no.

American schools or British schools, differences and which do you like more?

UK schools.
UK schools.

Howcome? Also this Christmas do you call them Father Christmas or Santa?:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest