The Student Room Group

What's the answer?

You decide to take the stairs and to climb either 1 or 2 stairs at a time, at any given time. In how many different ways can you get up a flight of 11 stairs? Prove your answer.

I got 56 different ways
Reply 1
Original post by Heisenberg 23
You decide to take the stairs and to climb either 1 or 2 stairs at a time, at any given time. In how many different ways can you get up a flight of 11 stairs? Prove your answer.

I got 56 different ways

CSAT, eh? :wink:

I'll do it and get back to you; :-)
Reply 2

I got 56 different ways

56 doesn't seem correct, you may one to do the number of ways to go down 1 step, 2 steps, 3 steps, 4 steps and see if you can spot a pattern. (hint: recurrence)
Aren't we not supposed to discus CSAT answers? @Zacken did you get my PM?
Reply 4
Original post by Louisb19

Oh sheeet, really? I didn't know that! :eek:
I'm replying to it now. :-)
Edit: Sent it off.

Nah this is just a practice test, not a real test. And I'm in Yr 11. I was just wondering :smile:
Reply 6
Nah this is just a practice test, not a real test. And I'm in Yr 11. I was just wondering :smile:

Did you get my hint? Ring any bells? Perhaps a familiar recurrence concerning rabbits? :wink:
Original post by Zacken
Did you get my hint? Ring any bells? Perhaps a familiar recurrence concerning rabbits? :wink:

I haven't got a clue to what your hinting at. How did you work it out :smile: And whats your answer
I'm probably being dumb XD
Original post by Zacken
Oh sheeet, really? I didn't know that! :eek:
I'm replying to it now. :-)
Edit: Sent it off.

I'm not to sure, my friend is a compsci applicant and he said that the people are Cambridge are not telling them the answers to the practice questions.
I'm not to sure, my friend is a compsci applicant and he said that the people are Cambridge are not telling them the answers to the practice questions.

Its a sample question, so discussing answers for these are allowed. I just wanted to know how to do it :smile:
Reply 10

I just checked the web-page out and it seems fine? They said you can't discuss the actual test questions, but the practice ones should be good?

Did you get my PM?

I haven't got a clue to what your hinting at. How did you work it out :smile: And whats your answer
I'm probably being dumb XD

1 step: 1 = 1 way
2 steps: 1, 1 or 2 = 2 ways
3 steps: 1,1,1 - 1, 2 - 2, 1 = 3 ways
4 steps: 1, 1, 1, 1 - ... = 5 ways
5 steps: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 - ... = 8 ways

So no of ways is 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 as the number of steps increase? Have you heard of the Fibonacci sequence?
Original post by Zacken
I just checked the web-page out and it seems fine? They said you can't discuss the actual test questions, but the practice ones should be good?

Did you get my PM?

Alright that's fine then. Yeah I did. I replied :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken

Did you get my PM?

1 step: 1 = 1 way
2 steps: 1, 1 or 2 = 2 ways
3 steps: 1,1,1 - 1, 2 - 2, 1 = 3 ways
4 steps: 1, 1, 1, 1 - ... = 5 ways
5 steps: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 - ... = 8 ways

So no of ways is 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 as the number of steps increase? Have you heard of the Fibonacci sequence?

I haven't heard of that, but I'll search it up. Thanks for the help Zacken.
I haven't heard of that, but I'll search it up. Thanks for the help Zacken.

It's super cool.

Quick Reply

Latest