The Student Room Group

What's wrong with calling people "sluts" or "whores"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CCC75
It's not okay even if the person is promiscuous. That is entirely their business.

All the nonsense about promiscuous people spreading STDs and destroying lives is absolute rubbish. People that do not practice safe sex spread STDs, regardless of how many or few partners they have. A promiscuous person cannot destroy your life - you or your partner, or your friendship group members (an example given on page 1) have to participate in the sexual activity for it to happen. How exactly are you or they coerced? Do promiscuous people have special powers of seduction that cannot be resisted?

Stick to the sexual encounter ideals that you have for yourself and allow others to do whatever they feel, without the derogatory labels.

Yeah, I agree I guess.
Original post by nverjvlev
Okay you've just made a huge assumption - I'm actually a Christian and am a huge advocate for people waiting for marriage to sleep with each other. I understand that there are issues with some people's sexual behaviour but that doesn't make it okay to shame them, something which only causes more harm than good? Just because I believe in waiting doesn't mean me hating on people who disagree with me is helpful or morally right, something you are doing right now.

Also, you've just proven how women are shamed so much more than men - it's equally easy to stick your penis in someone how come you immediately focussed on women having sex? Shows the extent of the damage slut shaming has on society.

Okay you have just made a huge assumption-I actually don't care at all what people do. I am a huge advocate of free speech-the right to act but also the right to be critical.
And I choose women for my example because I am a straight male; if I am posting from this viewpoint I will not really consider how worthy a male is in terms of relationship material. For what is worth I think guys who are like that are equally bad.
But no, let us blame the patriarchy and sexism for everything. There is a big difference between guys and girls; girls get pregnant? So at least with a slutty guy you don't have any baggage, with slutty girls you will do.
Original post by i<3milkshake
Just because you have the freedom to sleep with whoever you want, doesn't mean that it is ok to attack those who disagree and hold conservative values (maybe even self respect).. I understand you have the ability to open your legs and make moaning noises but that doesn't make it ok. And the impact of this behaviour is actually pretty huge and is a big part of why we see chavs and council estates ruining society.

Lol, did you really not realise how blatently hypocritical this is when you were writing it?
Just because you have the freedom to sleep with whoever you want, doesn't mean that it is ok to attack those who disagree and hold conservative values (maybe even self respect).

I am a huge advocate of free speech-the right to act but also the right to be critical.

Amazing.
Original post by Mankytoes
Lol, did you really not realise how blatently hypocritical this is when you were writing it?

It really isn't. People can act however they want, say what they want, end of. If that means you ignore peoples' criticism great. You have a right to. They also have a right to criticise you.

Lol, trying to make something more complicated than it really is. Don't want to be called a slut? Either deal with it or stop it.
Original post by Mankytoes
Amazing.

Yep. It is. "Liberal" in the eyes of the hilarious people here just means "agree with me or you are wrong and should be shut up":biggrin:.

Hypocrites.
It really isn't. People can act however they want, say what they want, end of. If that means you ignore peoples' criticism great. You have a right to. They also have a right to criticise you.

Lol, trying to make something more complicated than it really is. Don't want to be called a slut? Either deal with it or stop it.

But you just said it isn't ok to criticise your conservative views! "doesn't mean that it is ok to attack those who disagree and hold conservative values".

Your view of freedom of speech is great, it's basically "I should have the freedom to say what I want, and not have anyone disagree with me".

When discussing freedom of speech, you should only look at views you disagree with. Everyone supports freedom of speech for people who agree with them. IS support freedom of speech for people who agree with them. The essense of the liberal view on free speech is the well known quote attributed to Voltaire- "I detest what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". I might despise the hate and bullying people get for their sexual choices, but I would never ever support giving the government that power.

Yep. It is. "Liberal" in the eyes of the hilarious people here just means "agree with me or you are wrong and should be shut up":biggrin:.

Hypocrites.

But no one has said that from a liberal point of view. You linked a meme saying that (you appear to be confusing British and American definitions of liberal) as a strawman. The only person who has actually said that is you.

Attacking your position isn't an infringement of freedom of speech, it's an example of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
both "slut/whore" and its male version are used to make people feel shame for being promiscuous and actually enjoying sex. take the example of the book The Scarlett Letter (or its modern version, Easy A with Emma Stone), women (and men) who are seen to act outside of 'normal' society (i.e being more cautious/less promiscuous/abstinent) are seen as bad people who should be ostracized from the community. by calling someone a slut/whore, whatever their gender and whether they have a decent sex life or not, you are insulting them, telling them that they are bad people and treating them like outcasts. its not even sometimes based on whether they do sleep around or not, I've heard girls call others sluts for dressing in a certain way.
you should not force someone to act a certain way by making them feel shame; no one should have to change just because someone else thinks its wrong. who are you to judge? and yes, of course we inherently judge people all the time, but that's more because we have grown be judgmental due to the influence of the society around us, rather than actually having a sufficient reason to judge them.
Reply 48
There is a big difference between guys and girls; girls get pregnant? So at least with a slutty guy you don't have any baggage, with slutty girls you will do.

Hi there. I would just like to bring your attention the 'baggage' that is a male suitor with child support payment responsibilities. Why isn't he as undesirable and immediately 'slutty' as the 'baggage' carried by a single female parent? The term is used disproportionately amongst the sexes in addition to being totally unnecessary. Who are the appointed sex police anyway?
Original post by CCC75
Hi there. I would just like to bring your attention the 'baggage' that is a male suitor with child support payment responsibilities. Why isn't he as undesirable and immediately 'slutty' as the 'baggage' carried by a single female parent? The term is used disproportionately amongst the sexes in addition to being totally unnecessary. Who are the appointed sex police anyway?

preach it
What's right? :s-smilie:
Normally, its used in a negative way to "shame" the person.
Yurn?
Freedom of speech means that I let them get on with their lives already. I don't stop them. I don't do anything to discourage them. I just have the right though to criticise their behaviour. In what way am I stopping them? None.

As for me personally, I really don't care in the slightest. When I say "I" I am just highlighting the hypocrisy that the liberals tend to have.

No one is stopping criticism of behaviour. The objection is that use of derrogatory language propagates biased negative stereotypes and closes down dialogue by casting insults.

There are better and more civil ways to criticise, but throwing around shame through insult is not one of them.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending