The Student Room Group

is a text book essential for AS biology?

hello, ill be retaking my AS biology again so i was wondering if the biology book is helpful? and also what other revision material would be of great help?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by ravat97
hello, ill be retaking my AS biology again so i was wondering if the biology book is helpful? and also what other revision material would be of great help?

the book is helpful - make sure you get the CGP guide too, makes it easier to take everything in!
Reply 3
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

ohh okay thank you! i'm new here so didn't really know were to post. i will make sure to do that next time :smile:
Reply 4
ummmm you need like 3 textbooks and 2 revision guides brah
Reply 5
Original post by Humza Ali
the book is helpful - make sure you get the CGP guide too, makes it easier to take everything in!

yes i have the CGP book but i learnt that really well last year yet it didn't help :frown: but i think the i'll just get the text book now :smile: thank you
Reply 6
Original post by z33
ummmm you need like 3 textbooks and 2 revision guides brah

oh :s-smilie:. would you mind sharing which books were they?:smile:
Original post by ravat97
yes i have the CGP book but i learnt that really well last year yet it didn't help :frown: but i think the i'll just get the text book now :smile: thank you

I used the CGP book for notes and read through the textbook along with loads of past papers.
:smile:
Not at all.

Though they might be helpful (many say they are), I don't know as I've never used them.

For biology, make sure you base your notes off past paper answers (especially for things like lung & heart structure & disease.) Then perhaps add extra from your own booklets.

making notes from booklets first is just gonna waste a lot of time.
Reply 9
Original post by ravat97
oh :s-smilie:. would you mind sharing which books were they?:smile:

Awh okay maybe i was exaggerating
you need the original text book for whatever examboard you do
the CGP revision guide

that's the OCR one^ there's an AQA one too i believe... make sure it says "The Complete Course" because that means it's a texbook - it's really good

then there's the CGP revision guide for your examboard

and then THE THING THAT WILL MAKE YOU GET AN A IN BIOLOGY

ARE YOU READY?

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by XcitingStuart
Not at all.

Though they might be helpful (many say they are), I don't know as I've never used them.

For biology, make sure you base your notes off past paper answers (especially for things like lung & heart structure & disease.) Then perhaps add extra from your own booklets.

making notes from booklets first is just gonna waste a lot of time.

that actually sounds beneficial as the questions are all pretty much how science works. Will try this out :smile:
Original post by ravat97
that actually sounds beneficial as the questions are all pretty much how science works. Will try this out :smile:

In the sense that the the fundamental theory mainly first, the recall questions, and some additional stuff, then focus on the application of knowledge questions.
Reply 12
thank you for that :smile: need to buy them asap now!. when you said 3 books and all i was like wth no wonder i have to retake. .have i been living under a rock or something lol :eek3:
Original post by z33
Awh okay maybe i was exaggerating
you need the original text book for whatever examboard you do
the CGP revision guide

that's the OCR one^ there's an AQA one too i believe... make sure it says "The Complete Course" because that means it's a texbook - it's really good

then there's the CGP revision guide for your examboard

and then THE THING THAT WILL MAKE YOU GET AN A IN BIOLOGY

ARE YOU READY?

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by ravat97
thank you for that :smile: need to buy them asap now!. when you said 3 books and all i was like wth no wonder i have to retake. .have i been living under a rock or something lol :eek3:

Hahaha sorry lol but yeah those books really do help deffo give them a try! :biggrin: good luck
In my opinion, a revision guide is more useful than the textbook... textbooks can content an overwhelming amount of knowledge which isn't always necessary.

Make sure you get a revision guide for your specific exam board and not a generalized one.

Good luck! If you need any help then feel free to PM, I am currently doing A2 Biology on Edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest