The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alart
Yeah, I'm surprised too, maybe Univ is not as famous as the others...

How did your entry test go?

There's at least 7 applicants for Univ on here, if my memory serves me correctly. A few more on other threads as well :smile:
Reply 4401
Original post by Lucilou101
There's at least 7 applicants for Univ on here, if my memory serves me correctly. A few more on other threads as well :smile:

:excited: Cool!
Which college did you apply and what subject? If you don't mind my asking.:smile:
Is anyone else feeling really deflated after their admissions test?
I sat the BMAT and at first I was ok because I knew I hadn't done well, although now i'm really disappointed because I love Oxford and I know I stand no chance for Medicine. Oxford is the only BMAT university I applied to because I knew it was a risk to apply to more than one, and it was always going to be Oxford.

I think the thing with BMAT in particular this year was that there was so much reading to do, which took up an awful lot of time. As a result, I ran out of time to properly consider some of my answers. There were also a few questions that I think could have been debated over. I've read lots of people discussing the question about whether black or white clothing would be better in the winter. I spent a while deliberating over this, as black would absorb any heat that was available although white may reflect body heat back in. I went for black in the end, although lots of people went for white and I can see both sides of the argument. I'm really disappointed because I think some of the questions in BMAT don't give you the chance to explain your choice, using this one as an example. I've also presented it to quite a few different people who sat the BMAT who know lots about physics, and they even said it could be argued both ways.

I'm a person who really enjoys learning and so I know the Medicine course would have been really interesting to me as it's so academic and science-based, although it's literally hit me this weekend that I definitely have no chance now!

Does anyone else feel this way, whether you sat the BMAT or another admissions test?
Original post by Alart
:excited: Cool!
Which college did you apply and what subject? If you don't mind my asking.:smile:

I'm actually a current student at Univ - 2nd year Classicist :smile:
Reply 4404
Original post by notyous
awful!! and I needed to do well in the bmat to make up for my gcses so its not looking good :s-smilie: how about you? did you have to do the tsa?

Don't worry, I've learned that some people leaving the test crying!
I did the tsa, felt the same as I did the past papers.
Original post by emcowens
Hey, I'm applying for biomedical sciences, so I had to write the BMAT too! Also did the third question. I found section 1 awful, section 2 and 3 okay. Just have to wait and see :redface:

I feel exactly the same as you regarding BMAT. Hoping the mark to score conversion for section 1 is very low.

Which college have you applied to? :smile:
Original post by emem2011
I sat the BMAT and at first I was ok because I knew I hadn't done well, although now i'm really disappointed because I love Oxford and I know I stand no chance for Medicine. Oxford is the only BMAT university I applied to because I knew it was a risk to apply to more than one, and it was always going to be Oxford.

I think the thing with BMAT in particular this year was that there was so much reading to do, which took up an awful lot of time. As a result, I ran out of time to properly consider some of my answers. There were also a few questions that I think could have been debated over. I've read lots of people discussing the question about whether black or white clothing would be better in the winter. I spent a while deliberating over this, as black would absorb any heat that was available although white may reflect body heat back in. I went for black in the end, although lots of people went for white and I can see both sides of the argument. I'm really disappointed because I think some of the questions in BMAT don't give you the chance to explain your choice, using this one as an example. I've also presented it to quite a few different people who sat the BMAT who know lots about physics, and they even said it could be argued both ways.

I'm a person who really enjoys learning and so I know the Medicine course would have been really interesting to me as it's so academic and science-based, although it's literally hit me this weekend that I definitely have no chance now!

Does anyone else feel this way, whether you sat the BMAT or another admissions test?

I feel exactly the same as you. I'm applying for medicine too, which college have you applied to? If all of us found section 1 hard then everyone will have a lower mark or they'll adjust the score conversion. Remember that shortlisting for interview is relative, so if we all haven't done as well as we'd have liked, it may not be too much of a problem.

I found section 1 so difficult; I spent too long on a few question, like the dice one and the 'which attraction didn't he visit' map question, and then tried to rush through the last few questions in about 3 minutes and was hit by that block of reading about the RSPCA!

Nothing we can do now, it's a horrible wait though, and so unfulfiling since we all worked so hard :frown:
Original post by Clarinet
I feel exactly the same as you. I'm applying for medicine too, which college have you applied to? If all of us found section 1 hard then everyone will have a lower mark or they'll adjust the score conversion. Remember that shortlisting for interview is relative, so if we all haven't done as well as we'd have liked, it may not be too much of a problem.

I found section 1 so difficult; I spent too long on a few question, like the dice one and the 'which attraction didn't he visit' map question, and then tried to rush through the last few questions in about 3 minutes and was hit by that block of reading about the RSPCA!

Nothing we can do now, it's a horrible wait though, and so unfulfiling since we all worked so hard :frown:

Hi there, thanks for your reply! :smile:
I've applied to St John's, how about you? Yes Section 1 was really hard, there was a great deal of reading involved and as a result timing was difficult to manage. I'm hoping that my GCSEs make up for it as I got 14A*s in my subjects, so if they shortlist on GCSE results and BMAT scores then hopefully poor performance in one will be outweighed by high performance in another.

I completely agree with you- the dice one I guessed because I knew I was running out of time and I don't think I ever would have got that one right, and I spent ages trying to work out that map question but I got that one wrong too. The thing is, if we'd have been given longer I think I would have been able to get a good mark but right now my marks just represent the work of a really rushed applicant!!

It is such a horrible wait, I just wish results would come so I could get my bad score over with. I agree with you, it is really unfulfilling as we worked so hard for it. I go to a normal state school and I can't afford to go on BMAT courses so I just worked for months practising papers and revising content, I completely covered the Section 2 'assumed knowledge' revision guide and I don't think any of it helped me :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4408
Original post by Lucilou101
I'm actually a current student at Univ - 2nd year Classicist :smile:

Thanks!:biggrin:
How do you feel about the life at Univ?
Justin Bieber 'What Do You Mean?' ---> me in admissions test
Original post by thehollowcrown

more like Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody "Is this real life, or is this fantasy?" and then the crescendo towards the end was me just rushing to finish :'D
Original post by ryanicale
Any Harris Manchester applicants here? hmu =)

me! for law :smile: what are you applying for? did you go to the open day in september?
Original post by thehollowcrown

Also me in interview (if I get one).

Heck, this is just me in general life.
Original post by connieiscrazy
Also me in interview (if I get one).

Heck, this is just me in general life.

OMG you know haha; me in the last section: 'we're running out of time... [but] what do you mean?'
Reply 4414
whose applied to Worcester this year?
Original post by whw
whose applied to Worcester this year?

I have! For Biochem, how about you?
Original post by binnsm
Ahh okay Durham, York, Bristol and Edinburgh :smile: have you heard back from anywhere?? I'm a bit worried everyone has offers and I've only had an invitation interview at York so far

Awesome! I have an offer from Lancaster and an interview invitation from York but that is it. Don't worry, Law is a subject that is notorious for taking ages... Durham don't get back to most people until next year. It is depressing though, especially when most of my friends have 5/5 already! :-)
Reading back other the old threads, it seems that people have in the past received interview invitations for subjects without aptitude tests and submitted work starting next week. Scary stuff!
Original post by emem2011

I took the MAT and now I'm really upset when i realised most of my answers are different from others :frown:
Reply 4419
Original post by bebebanana
I have! For Biochem, how about you?

Woooo for ppe but anticipating a rejection anytime soon after tsa :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending