The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illiberal Liberal
You know right wingers are wired wrong when they think allowing their children to wear a dress = encouraging them to be homosexual

It does not encourage them to be homosexual but more transexual
Original post by Gears265
It does not encourage them to be homosexual but more transexual

You talk as if being trans is a choice that can be encouraged/discouraged rather than just something that some people are.
So my other account got banned, not sure if it was for this thread or another.....
Reply 383
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Wtf is wrong with you? She has said nothing that would imply anything with negative connotations about her parents... The fact you resorted to such a statement actually says more about your parents than hers. :smile:

...yeah, she's not going to sleep with you, no matter how hard you white knight her.

Why not let her argue her own position? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
A ban does not change the fact I don't want my son to be bullied for dressing up like a woman. What next... we let them put tampons up their bums.
Reply 385
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You talk as if being trans is a choice that can be encouraged/discouraged rather than just something that some people are.

Science suggests that homosexuality is the result of epigenetic factors (the genetic link was suggested implausible a while back), like mother's hormonal levels. It seems to be am evolutionary process to weed out the children of parents who were unhealthy /unable to compete well enough for food which gave them normal hormonal levels, or they encountered generations of stress, which accumulated over time through the mothers and resulted in hormonal imbalances.

Theoretically, this means that homosexuality could be stopped from arising by ensuring good environmental conditions for the mother.

Transexuality on the other hand has no genetic or epigenetic link - it seems to be only the result of hormone levels. This implies that, while it is not a conscious choice, it is certainly changeable and is hence not biologically deterministic.

So yes, while allowing one's child to wear a dress will have no effect on whether they become transsexuals, it is not the case that transsexuality is not changeable in some way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 41b
Science suggests that homosexuality is the result of epigenetic factors (the genetic link was suggested implausible a while back), like mother's hormonal levels. It seems to be am evolutionary process to weed out the children of parents who were unhealthy /unable to compete well enough for food which gave them normal hormonal levels, or they encountered generations of stress, which accumulated over time through the mothers and resulted in hormonal imbalances.

Theoretically, this means that homosexuality could be stopped from arising by ensuring good environmental conditions for the mother.

Transexuality on the other hand has no genetic or epigenetic link - it seems to be only the result of hormone levels. This implies that, while it is not a conscious choice, it is certainly changeable and is hence not biologically deterministic.

So yes, while allowing one's child to wear a dress will have no effect on whether they become transsexuals, it is not the case that transsexuality is not changeable in some way.

Going to need a source for this, given there is research out there suggesting a genetic factor, a longer repetition of a gene reducing testosterone binding in MtF transexuals compared to cis-males and a varient genotype with allele distribution closer to a typical male in FtM cases.

There's also plenty of research suggesting that transexuals possess a brain structure more typical of the opposite gender to their assigned one: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v378/n6552/abs/378068a0.html http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem.85.5.6564

As well as a twin study showing transexuality to be far more common in monozygotic twins to dizygotic twins, suggesting some degree of genetic or epigenetic influence.
Original post by 41b
...yeah, she's not going to sleep with you, no matter how hard you white knight her.

:erm:

I was just pointing out your hypocrisy. I had no ulterior motives. But I understand how that may be difficult for you to understand.
Reply 388
Going to need a source for this, given there is research out there suggesting a genetic factor, a longer repetition of a gene reducing testosterone binding in MtF transexuals compared to cis-males and a varient genotype with allele distribution closer to a typical male in FtM cases.

There's also plenty of research suggesting that transexuals possess a brain structure more typical of the opposite gender to their assigned one: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v378/n6552/abs/378068a0.html http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem.85.5.6564

As well as a twin study showing transexuality to be far more common in monozygotic twins to dizygotic twins, suggesting some degree of genetic or epigenetic influence.

I've seen all these studies and they don't look at the bigger picture.

Genes are not fixed - for example, eating GM food can alter your genes. If it is the case that genetics (rather than solely epigenetics) is involved in transexuality, then it will be in the same way as for homosexuality. Studies showing a genetic link are always disproven for the general case, and only seem to be true in some cases - what differentiates those cases from the ones where genetics was not a factor is unknown. It is far, far too early to claim anything like "I was born with it." The evidence is not nearly sufficient. If one was born with it, then I'd suggest it was in the same way that homosexuals are affected by their mothers' hormones, rather than something truly hereditary. Hence it is still alterable, if only by looking at one generation previous.

As for brain structure, it is really malleable and affected almost entirely by epigenetic factors, like nutrition and environment. Hormones are the result of diet and stress-conditions and these affect the development of the brain. There is also some change from how one's brain is used. Brain structure might be different for transsexuals, but this more likely points to dietary deficiency or environmental factors (like pollution) than heredity. Brain structure is intimately tied to hormone levels and is not fixed. There are even studies showing that anti-hair loss medications for men can turn them into transsexuals and even homosexuals by disruption the working of testosterone.

In general these studies never look at the bigger picture. Biology, culture and behaviour are very intimately linked. A perfect and simple example is liberalism. It's been shown that poor nutrition leads to sub-par amygdala development, and it's also been shown that liberals tend to have damaged amygdalae. Sub-developed amygdalae result in worse threat recognition, worse recognition of the "other" and less fear. These biological traits correlate well with the basic tenets of liberalism: more permissive social attitudes, pro-immigration and greater openness to radical change.

A similar link exists for homosexuality and transexuality, I am sure. That it has not been found yet does not mean that it won't be. Regardless, it is far too early to claim that homosexuality and transexuality are not, in some way, changeable, even if only by altering the diet or circumstances of the mother.

Illiberal Liberal

:erm:

I was just pointing out your hypocrisy. I had no ulterior motives. But I understand how that may be difficult for you to understand.

I am sure she appreciates your heroic act. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 41b

Genes are not fixed - for example, eating GM food can alter your genes. If it is the case that genetics (rather than solely epigenetics) is involved in transexuality, then it will be in the same way as for homosexuality. Studies showing a genetic link are always disproven for the general case, and only seem to be true in some cases - what differentiates those cases from the ones where genetics was not a factor is unknown. It is far, far too early to claim anything like "I was born with it." The evidence is not nearly sufficient. If one was born with it, then I'd suggest it was in the same way that homosexuals are affected by their mothers' hormones, rather than something truly hereditary. Hence it is still alterable, if only by looking at one generation previous.

As for brain structure, it is really malleable and affected almost entirely by epigenetic factors, like nutrition and environment. Hormones are the result of diet and stress-conditions and these affect the development of the brain. There is also some change from how one's brain is used. Brain structure might be different for transsexuals, but this more likely points to dietary deficiency or environmental factors (like pollution) than heredity. Brain structure is intimately tied to hormone levels and is not fixed. There are even studies showing that anti-hair loss medications for men can turn them into transsexuals and even homosexuals by disruption the working of testosterone.

In general these studies never look at the bigger picture. Biology, culture and behaviour are very intimately linked. A perfect and simple example is liberalism. It's been shown that poor nutrition leads to sub-par amygdala development, and it's also been shown that liberals tend to have damaged amygdalae. Sub-developed amygdalae result in worse threat recognition, worse recognition of the "other" and less fear. These biological traits correlate well with the basic tenets of liberalism: more permissive social attitudes, pro-immigration and greater openness to radical change.

A similar link exists for homosexuality and transexuality, I am sure. That it has not been found yet does not mean that it won't be. Regardless, it is far too early to claim that homosexuality and transexuality are not, in some way, changeable, even if only by altering the diet or circumstances of the mother.

So, in other words you have no actual evidence that these genetic and epigenetic links don't exist as claimed, you're just going to claim the studies showing some genetic and epigenetic influences are entirely ignorable because there's a few other likely factors. Hormonal imbalances will no doubt play a part, but it's quite clear there is a genetic or epigenetic element to it, contrary to what you claimed.
TSR
Dear bardnnyc,
A thread or post you made was placed in pre-moderation after creation to be reviewed by the moderation team and has now been declined.

The thread or post title was: Re: Would you let your son dress up as a princess?

Regards,
The TSR Moderation Team

I received the above message today and whoever that keep sending me that sort of message, please be more specific as to the reason you keep sending this messages to me as I do not want to be receiving them or see them in my inbox.

I gave my thoughts and opinions to the thread. 'I would not dress my son as a princess' because he is not one... if that is my offence, could you guys moderating this forum/website delete my account. Its unfortunate that this website panders to the interest of a certain group of people while undermining those of others who do not belong in the group.

Someone offended me by saying that he would offer me the 'D' but the heavily biased persons who run things here would not see that neither would they see when my kids and parents were insulted.

You guys/moderators would tolerate sexually explicit images posted here which other people might find offensive but would rather not talk or raise their voices for fear of backlash but would rather unleash your fangs when differing opinions are expressed.

I remain what I am and like I said.. I would not dress my son as a princess, I wont even decorate his room in pink. No one should force homosexuality down my throat. If you find my posts offensive and unacceptable, pls delete my account.

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)

It is a choice. Lol
Original post by bardnnyc
I received the above message today and whoever that keep sending me that sort of message, please be more specific as to the reason you keep sending this messages to me as I do not want to be receiving them or see them in my inbox.

I gave my thoughts and opinions to the thread. 'I would not dress my son as a princess' because he is not one... if that is my offence, could you guys moderating this forum/website delete my account. Its unfortunate that this website panders to the interest of a certain group of people while undermining those of others who do not belong in the group.

Someone offended me by saying that he would offer me the 'D' but the heavily biased persons who run things here would not see that neither would they see when my kids and parents were insulted.

You guys/moderators would tolerate sexually explicit images posted here which other people might find offensive but would rather not talk or raise their voices for fear of backlash but would rather unleash your fangs when differing opinions are expressed.

I remain what I am and like I said.. I would not dress my son as a princess, I wont even decorate his room in pink. No one should force homosexuality down my throat. If you find my posts offensive and unacceptable, pls delete my account.

Thank you.

Photos of same-sex couples having a kiss and a little cuddle is not sexually explicit; what are you, twelve?

Homosexuality is not being forced down you throat. If you need being an accepting, tolerant, decent person to be shoved down your throat at all then you obviously weren't all there to begin with.

Furthermore, I did not insult your children, I insulted you because I know what having bigoted and prejudice parents is like for the child and believe me, you will drive them further and further away and I say: good for them. Run.

Re: the end of the message -

Mods, please listen to him, remove.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gears265
You know left wingers are wired wrong when they actively encourage their kids to be homosexual, transgender or bi-curious

You cannot encourage sexuality - what is wrong with you? Don't be so narrow, if you're going to make such a ridiculous statement and criticise the encouragement of sexuality the be sure to factor in your own orientation. It's rather convenient that you haven't.
Original post by Butternuts96
It is a choice. Lol

Honestly, you cannot be from the present day. Are you really that deluded? Why would anyone choose to live a life so complicated and taboo? One where they are essentially hated for just breathing and being there. Yeah, totally life goals - not.
Original post by 41b

It is not early. It's only early to you because you are unwilling to accept the reality of the issue. You think sexuality can be altered by diet? I have never heard something so bizzare in all my life, or inaccurate.

Furthermore, transexuality is clearly not changeable by hormonal therapies which it would be if your claims were accurate. Anything available on the healthcare system in the UK must undergo a lot of tests and trials before being confirmed and permitted for use or exploitation by the public. The positives have to outweigh the negatives. If it was as simple as hormone balancing, they'd give you hormones or whatever and leave it at that. Stop fishing for something, some kind of response and scientific point, that does not exist.
Original post by ivybridge
Photos of same-sex couples having a kiss and a little cuddle is not sexually explicit; what are you, twelve?

Homosexuality is not being forced down you throat. If you need being an accepting, tolerant, decent person to be shoved down your throat at all then you obviously weren't all there to begin with.

Furthermore, I did not insult your children, I insulted you because I know what having bigoted and prejudice parents is like for the child and believe me, you will drive them further and further away and I say: good for them. Run.

Re: the end of the message -

Mods, please listen to him, remove.

But it is very inappropriate to some, and you should respect in how they feel about such pictures.
It is not something that I would personally want to see, as such forums that cater to your type do exist.
Believe it or not but the majority of people in this country do not want to see such images being displayed
Original post by Blue_Mason
But it is very inappropriate to some, and you should respect in how they feel about such pictures.
It is not something that I would personally want to see, as such forums that cater to your type do exist.
Believe it or not but the majority of people in this country do not want to see such images being displayed

Tough? It's not harmful.

And I do respect it but you don't respect my right to freedom of expression. You do not have to look at the photos - you can block accounts. You're choosing to kick-up a fuss.

You do not know the majority of Britain therefore your statement is invalid. Furthermore, don't refer to me as a type - I'm not a coffee. I'm a human being. If you want to complain about something complain about heterosexual sex on television and heterosexual kissing and cuddling on television. That is much more prominent and commonplace than this apparently innapropriate display. Stop trying to mask the fact you are blatantly prejudiced.

Oh and by the way, I don't care that there's heterosexual sex or whatever on TV, simply making a point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ironically I'd potentially be happier letting my boy dress up as a princess than if I had a little girl. This is why I don't want to be a parent, I'd feel I had morally let her down if she turned out really girly.

Yes, I am sexist against my own gender -_-
Original post by redferry
Ironically I'd potentially be happier letting my boy dress up as a princess than if I had a little girl. This is why I don't want to be a parent, I'd feel I had morally let her down if she turned out really girly.

Yes, I am sexist against my own gender -_-

Ha, that's so accurate! :five:

There's just as much angst around what young boys are allowed and not allowed to do as with girls though. I see some boys for example with long and really pretty hair, they look adorable. Yet some parents I know would regard that as really worrying and possibly teaching him to be gay. I mean, people are often terribly over-worried. Boys and girls just want to be themselves and live their way. Apart from giving them good education and seeing to it that they are reasonably protected and not allowed to get into too much danger, there shouldn't be too many limits placed on kids.

Older boys also can look really cute with longer hairstyles by the way!

Latest