The Student Room Group

Good grades but average personal statement?!

My history personal statement is rubbish compared to examples ones I've read so I'm now panicking about whether I'm going to get uni offers or not. My AS grades are AAAD but I've been told grades aren't really that important when applying. How true is this? My personal statement is painfully mediocre so I was hoping my grades would give me that extra push.

I'm applying to Uni of Manchester, York and Warwick as well as Edge Hill and Liverpool John Moores.

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc_jen
My history personal statement is rubbish compared to examples ones I've read so I'm now panicking about whether I'm going to get uni offers or not. My AS grades are AAAD but I've been told grades aren't really that important when applying. How true is this? My personal statement is painfully mediocre so I was hoping my grades would give me that extra push.

I'm applying to Uni of Manchester, York and Warwick as well as Edge Hill and Liverpool John Moores.

Thanks!!

Grades are important, if you don't have the grades to meet the entry requirements then its likely you wont get an offer. Do you have a tutor who can give you feedback on your personal statement to improve it if you're worried?
Original post by abc_jen

Thanks!!

For a course as competitive as history, grades are very important and I can't imagine why anyone would say otherwise. For history, though, the PS is also important. There's no work experience or anything else you can do for the course, so it's a way of showing how well you explain things and how well you can construct a logical piece of writing, which is one of the prerequisites for history. You have the grades. You need to polish up your PS, although I doubt it is as bad as you are saying if you are predicted AAA. If you have already sent it, then you will have to stop dwelling on it. If you haven't, then make it less mediocre. Doing neither of these things will get you nowhere.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Grades are important, if you don't have the grades to meet the entry requirements then its likely you wont get an offer. Do you have a tutor who can give you feedback on your personal statement to improve it if you're worried?

Yes I have tutors who I can go and see and will be going to see about it, was just wondering how important grades are. Appreciate the response though so thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
For a course as competitive as history, grades are very important and I can't imagine why anyone would say otherwise. For history, though, the PS is also important. There's no work experience or anything else you can do for the course, so it's a way of showing how well you explain things and how well you can construct a logical piece of writing, which is one of the prerequisites for history. You have the grades. You need to polish up your PS, although I doubt it is as bad as you are saying if you are predicted AAA. If you have already sent it, then you will have to stop dwelling on it. If you haven't, then make it less mediocre. Doing neither of these things will get you nowhere.

Thanks for the feedback :smile:
Original post by abc_jen
Thanks for the feedback :smile:

As I see you haven't sent it yet, let me direct you to this in case you haven't used it yet:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_help
Reply 6
As I see you haven't sent it yet, let me direct you to this in case you haven't used it yet:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_help

Thank you for sending that! Looks helpful.
Original post by abc_jen
Thank you for sending that! Looks helpful.

It works for most people. For history, you have to show you have developed an independent interest beyond the school syllabus and demonstrate the analytical skills history needs in pursuing it.
Grades are usually the most important part of your application, yours are very good so I wouldn't worry about that. Don't worry if yours aren't as good as some example ones you've read, I read a lot of examples for my economics personal statement and some of them were just completely over the top.
Reply 9
It works for most people. For history, you have to show you have developed an independent interest beyond the school syllabus and demonstrate the analytical skills history needs in pursuing it.

So far in my personal statement I have analysed and compared books on the Renaissance which shows interest beyond my A-level syllabus so that's a start.
Original post by abc_jen
So far in my personal statement I have analysed and compared books on the Renaissance which shows interest beyond my A-level syllabus so that's a start.

Yes, it is. History's not my field, tbh.
Reply 11
Original post by will_jg
Grades are usually the most important part of your application, yours are very good so I wouldn't worry about that. Don't worry if yours aren't as good as some example ones you've read, I read a lot of examples for my economics personal statement and some of them were just completely over the top.

Thanks for your response! I think it's good to read examples to get a feel of what personal statements are like but at the same time it's the worst thing you can do. I started comparing mine to examples ones I'd read and ended up losing my confidence.
Reply 12
Yes, it is. History's not my field, tbh.

Well you were a great help so thanks!
Original post by abc_jen

Thanks!!

Why both Edge Hill and John Moores? If you really love them, fine. If the objective is an easy insurance then you don't need both. WIth AAA at AS both will give you an offer so it is simply a matter of which one you might want to keep in mind as an insurance.
Original post by ageshallnot
Why both Edge Hill and John Moores? If you really love them, fine. If the objective is an easy insurance then you don't need both. WIth AAA at AS both will give you an offer so it is simply a matter of which one you might want to keep in mind as an insurance.

I was thinking of copying you into this. Give the girl some history ideas for her ps, oh history person.:wink:
Reply 15
Original post by ageshallnot

Quite a few people have said that to me. I have thought about replacing John Moores with another firm choice university but I'm not sure which and most open days have been and gone now. I know I don't have to apply to five universities but I would prefer to.
I was thinking of copying you into this. Give the girl some history ideas for her ps, oh history person.:wink:

I know nothing about writing a PS...

Original post by abc_jen
Quite a few people have said that to me. I have thought about replacing John Moores with another firm choice university but I'm not sure which and most open days have been and gone now. I know I don't have to apply to five universities but I would prefer to.

You can apply with four choices initially, then add your fifth before the Jan 15th deadline. This would give you more time to think and perhaps find a uni which fits in the large gap between your current 'top 3' and your 'bottom 2'.
try looking at Lancaster or Bangor if you want to stay north. Alternatively Leicester, Reading, Keele, Kent, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and Essex all might be a good choice as your fourth

Hey! I'm kinda in the same situation as OP. I have AAAC (Bio, Chem, Math, Physics respectively) at AS level but I feel like my personal statement is total crap. I don't really know what to write in it and I don't have work or lab experience. I've looked at the personal statement article on TSR and I'm using their tool to help me with my personal statement but I don't feel it's going well.

I'm interested in getting into a science course. How important do you think my PS will be?

Thanks!
Original post by jackien1
Hey! I'm kinda in the same situation as OP. I have AAAC (Bio, Chem, Math, Physics respectively) at AS level but I feel like my personal statement is total crap. I don't really know what to write in it and I don't have work or lab experience. I've looked at the personal statement article on TSR and I'm using their tool to help me with my personal statement but I don't feel it's going well.

I'm interested in getting into a science course. How important do you think my PS will be?

Thanks!

A lot less important than for history. The key questions for any ps are 'Why this course?' and 'Why me?' They want to know that you understand what the course involves and you aren't going into it with a false idea of the subject. You don't need to know it all already - that's why you are going there to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending