The Student Room Group

Music A level Vs Grades

Is there any point doing the music a level if you are doing the music grades already?
Reply 1
I think generally if you want to study music at university, you do need the a level in it.
The gradings show that you have the ability to play your instrument at a high standard but cannot prove your ability to compose or do other aspects of music that the A Level tests.
However, some uni's take grade 8 theory, if you haven't studied it at a level.
Original post by Ayooo
I think generally if you want to study music at university, you do need the a level in it.
The gradings show that you have the ability to play your instrument at a high standard but cannot prove your ability to compose or do other aspects of music that the A Level tests.
However, some uni's take grade 8 theory, if you haven't studied it at a level.

But with composition, do you learn loads of composition techniques or just whatever the exam question asks?
Same with aural skills?
Reply 3
Original post by passivepineapple
But with composition, do you learn loads of composition techniques or just whatever the exam question asks?
Same with aural skills?

With the composition, It's entirely up to you what you want to do. The exam board may set 2 different themes of topics you can base your composition around and then you can structure it and compose it how you want. In terms of learning different compositional techniques, it's just the general things that you want already know if you've studied music theory or have a good musical knowledge. You don't learn anything for your composition, your teacher may occasionally guide you as to what you could do but generally it's down to what you feel you can do.
Original post by Ayooo
With the composition, It's entirely up to you what you want to do. The exam board may set 2 different themes of topics you can base your composition around and then you can structure it and compose it how you want. In terms of learning different compositional techniques, it's just the general things that you want already know if you've studied music theory or have a good musical knowledge. You don't learn anything for your composition, your teacher may occasionally guide you as to what you could do but generally it's down to what you feel you can do.

So this is what I mean. If you've done music grades and theory grades, there doesn't seem like you learn anything else in A level music.
Reply 5
Original post by passivepineapple
So this is what I mean. If you've done music grades and theory grades, there doesn't seem like you learn anything else in A level music.

Yes. But I'm speaking in terms of when you want to apply to university. You generally need an A-level in the course because it proves that you CAN compose, apply the theory of music to the set pieces and write essay's based on them. It's just good to have in my opinion, because it shows that you can play music and have a good amount of theoretical knowledge without the need to say you did gradings.
Original post by Ayooo
Yes. But I'm speaking in terms of when you want to apply to university. You generally need an A-level in the course because it proves that you CAN compose, apply the theory of music to the set pieces and write essay's based on them. It's just good to have in my opinion, because it shows that you can play music and have a good amount of theoretical knowledge without the need to say you did gradings.

But it seems kind of pointless?

Quick Reply

Latest