The Student Room Group

Charlie Hebdo "satrizes" Sinai Plane Crash: Russia are up in arms

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nobody heard of a French cartoonist called Zeon who was arrested for work like this?

zeon-2-3e4c8.jpg
Attachment not found

No free speech when it offends those who rule over you...

Do people know that a Charlie Hebdo staff was fired for saying Sarkozys son converted to Judaism for financial reasons? REALLY is that so offensive?
Reply 21
Charlie-Hebdo-Sine.jpg
The first picture is offensive because it depicts the skull of a victim which violates the principle of respect for the dead. The Air Cocaine is a terribly lazy joke too as that scandal has absolutely nothing to do with Islamism or Russia or anything else. The second one is not offensive at all and quite amusing.

Original post by Lady Comstock
No, but if the first thing I said to your friends and family was 'well, I disagree with how he insulted that person's mother', without acknowledging the foul murder that occurred until probed later ('oh well, I also disagree with killing someone for what they say':wink: then that would be pretty suspect and apologist-sounding, which is exactly what a lot of people did during the Charlie Hebdo massacre.

Also, how can you abuse your right to free speech? Are people who self-harm abusing their right to life?

I think precisely the opposite. What value is there in expressing an obvious position which everyone you are talking to shares, like "murdering people is bad"? I'll tell you for free: it's virtue-signalling. Preaching to the converted. It does not contribute to the active debate, which by its nature centres on those parts of the issue that are less clear-cut.
(edited 8 years ago)
I like how you put satire in quotations as though that's not exactly what it is, satire. You need to learn to tell apart impersonal mockery from actual threats.
No comments from anyone about the writer being fired for creating satire based on the Jews?
Original post by Major Zero
No comments from anyone about the writer being fired for creating satire based on the Jews?

Double standards, not much more to say.
Original post by Unkempt_One
I like how you put satire in quotations as though that's not exactly what it is, satire. You need to learn to tell apart impersonal mockery from actual threats.

And what improvement did Charlie seek from the Russians?
Original post by TheArtofProtest
And what improvement did Charlie seek from the Russians?

"If it doesn't help it shouldn't exist" - Bore 101
"If it doesn't help it shouldn't exist" - Bore 101

I took objection at your comment that these cartoons were really satire so in the interests of defining whether it really was satire, I queried what improvement Charlie had hoped to achieve in regards to the Russians.

You couldn't think of any.

That is why I placed the term "satire" in quote marks.
I took objection at your comment that these cartoons were really satire so in the interests of defining whether it really was satire, I queried what improvement Charlie had hoped to achieve in regards to the Russians.

You couldn't think of any.

That is why I placed the term "satire" in quote marks.

So you went straight to the dictionary definition and when you realised it didn't support your viewpoint you went to the wikipedia 'definition' and misread it (:.
It's their right to draw and ultimately publish such cartoons. I laughed at the second one to be fair but I felt bad for it. Doesn't stop them having the right to publish it.
So you went straight to the dictionary definition and when you realised it didn't support your viewpoint you went to the wikipedia 'definition' and misread it (:.

I would rather people play constructive roles in society, as opposed to simply lambasting those they see fit to be mocked because of their views.

In the civilized world, there are ways to tell people that their views are wrong, like in a debate for example, but simply printing cartoons for your own amusement is definitely not one of them.

I would understand it if Charlie went after the liberal progressive types with the same enthusiasm that it goes after Jews, Muslims, Blacks, Russians and those who they see as no liberal progressives but it doesn't happen.
I would rather people play constructive roles in society, as opposed to simply lambasting those they see fit to be mocked because of their views.

In the civilized world, there are ways to tell people that their views are wrong, like in a debate for example, but simply printing cartoons for your own amusement is definitely not one of them.

I would understand it if Charlie went after the liberal progressive types with the same enthusiasm that it goes after Jews, Muslims, Blacks, Russians and those who they see as no liberal progressives but it doesn't happen.

I bet you're the life and soul of the party
Original post by KimKallstrom
I bet you're the life and soul of the party

If by that, you mean not degrading other people for my own amusement or to appear intelligent and insightful by posturing to other people so that I can earn some token of appreciation from a fawning audience, then I guess you are right.

I can't really take issue with that view, as long we're all clear that it's satire and is fit to be published.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending