The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JohnDeMetz
Oh sorry Nergis, I thought I was still talking to Fazziar 1 :s. I think I was pretty tired when I replied haha. I haven't taken the exam before but from what other people have told me It based on what the prior knowledge form on the UClan website say you need to know. So

Body cells and structure

Body systems and nutrition

Body locomotion and control

What degree did you do by the way? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking. Its nice to actually find someone applying to grad entry this year haha.

Where else have you applied? :smile: If you have applied to Aberdeen we should be hearing back earliest by the 12th of this month.

It's alright haha, no worries :smile: Oh ok, yeah I've read those topics. Cheers! Do you know in how much detail I need to know those topics, by any chance?

I am studying Biomedical sciences at the moment, in my third year, predicted a 2.1. I have applied to Cardiff (undergrad, UKCAT), Plymouth (undergrad, GAMSAT), UCLan (graduate entry) and Bristol Uni.. And my fifth choice was Bath uni, for MPharm, just as a back up really :P Wbu? Ow no I haven't applied to Aberdeen, because its about 8-9 hours from home. Didn't want to go that far from home.. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nergis
It's alright haha, no worries :smile: Oh ok, yeah I've read those topics. Cheers! Do you know in how much detail I need to know those topics, by any chance?

I am studying Biomedical sciences at the moment, in my third year, predicted a 2.1. I have applied to Cardiff (undergrad, UKCAT), Plymouth (undergrad, GAMSAT), UCLan (graduate entry) and Bristol Uni.. And my fifth choice was Bath uni, for MPharm, just as a back up really :P Wbu? Ow no I haven't applied to Aberdeen, because its about 8-9 hours from home. Didn't want to go that far from home.. :smile:

Did you not think about Liverpool or Kings? I would find funding another degree impossible so I'm literally just applying to graduate entry.

Not too sure? I've heard that its not too intensive if you have already covered the stuff. Remember its first year stuff you need to know. But as I have said I have not taken the test so wouldn't know.

I have applied to Cardiff too :smile:
Did you not think about Liverpool or Kings? I would find funding another degree impossible so I'm literally just applying to graduate entry.

Not too sure? I've heard that its not too intensive if you have already covered the stuff. Remember its first year stuff you need to know. But as I have said I have not taken the test so wouldn't know.

I have applied to Cardiff too :smile:

Ow cool, I am from Cardiff haha! Actually I did think of applying to kings but the competition is crazy! I had 725 in my UKCAT, which I didn't think was competitive enough for kings.. So I actually didn't want to waste a choice.. If that makes sense :smile: But yeah, good luck with your application! Hope all goes well!

Hmm yes fair point, well, fingers crossed. If you dont mind me asking, what degree did you do?
Original post by Nergis
Ow cool, I am from Cardiff haha! Actually I did think of applying to kings but the competition is crazy! I had 725 in my UKCAT, which I didn't think was competitive enough for kings.. So I actually didn't want to waste a choice.. If that makes sense :smile: But yeah, good luck with your application! Hope all goes well!

Hmm yes fair point, well, fingers crossed. If you dont mind me asking, what degree did you do?

725 is extremely good, a current student at KCL has said that a lot of his friends got in with low 600 scores (620+), also two of my friends got into postgraduate medicine with 600 scores too so don't think your not competitive.

I am in my last year of Biological and Medicinal Chemistry at Exeter university hopefully obtain a 1st :smile:.
Not too sure, Leicester do have other medically related courses as well so I am sure you could probably pick and choose very relevant modules.

Have a look at Exeter Medical Sciences to see what sort of prior knowledge you need http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicalsci/medicalsci/#Programme-structure

If your degree title isn't BioMed but you have covered all the necessary bits then you will be fie I am sure :smile:.

Good luck with your application. I am applying this year for my BDS but there doesn't seem to be much entry level interest on the student room compared with last year. Very strange. I will let you know how my application goes.

Thanks and good luck to you as well for your BDS.

My choices are Queen Mary (most aspirational one), UCLan, Brighton, St Georges and Warwick/Kent (Kent is BBB).

The good thing is that if dentistry doesn't work out I have a back up plan which is to become a biomedical scientist and that's why I have chosen to do all accredited IBMS courses at unis that have similar entry requirements to my predicted grades (BBB). But I also want to maximise my chance of getting onto dentistry by picking the right unis as well.

My only issue is the distance that some of these unis are from London, it does bother me a bit being as far as Lancashire. My question is do you think unis like Exeter and Leicester who do courses that dental schools offering graduate entry will accept, is worth swapping out for 1 or 2 of my current choices? If there are any other unis you would recommend and are worth choosing fell free to tell me. Sorry last question, does going to UCLan and studying biomed and then applying to do dentistry (graduate) give me a much better chance of being accepted, than studying at Kent for example?
Original post by althornber1
Wheres everyone thinking of applying?

My Stats are:
GCSE: 2A* 5A
A level: ABC (Biology Chemistry Maths)
2.1 in Biochemistry Cardiff University

ukcat booked for end of Aug

Hi, how did it go?
Reply 686
Hello, I am applying from Northern Ireland to Aberdeen, got an interview there ... what sort of questions do they ask and is there any dexterity stations? Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest