The Student Room Group

Question about choosing psychology

so theres three subjects i definitly want to do: art englit and sociology but i have to pick a fourth and i was wondering if taking psychology as a fourth would be good or bad? i'm wondering these things mainly:
a)would it fit with my current subjects
b) is it okay to take as an alone a level or is it usually taken with sciences as well
c)is it a difficult/particularly time consuming subject (especially as i would rather focus on the other subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes to pretty much all of those.
All alevels are difficult. Psychology is time consuming as you need to learn loads of case studys.
Reply 2
Psychology and sociology link in really well together though, there are a lot of overlaps with research methods

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psychology and Sociology both have a unit which involves research methods which are pretty similar like @elise68 mentioned. English Literature and Psychology kind of overlap occasionally since you can psychoanalyse characters (more so in a2). Sociology and Psychology don't really have much in common aside from research methods. Psychology could help with Art I guess? (not entirely sure since I don't know what Art involves).You have to have a B in Maths to do it since the new specification includes more maths etc. There are a few topics which have science elements but it's more about biology like learning about psychopathology (if i recall correctly). You've got to put effort into psychology because it involves making a lot of notes and memorising key studies etc. It's pretty straightforward though! Hope this helped.
Reply 4
Original post by Cherrychocolate
Psychology and Sociology both have a unit which involves research methods which are pretty similar like @elise68 mentioned. English Literature and Psychology kind of overlap occasionally since you can psychoanalyse characters (more so in a2). Sociology and Psychology don't really have much in common aside from research methods. Psychology could help with Art I guess? (not entirely sure since I don't know what Art involves).You have to have a B in Maths to do it since the new specification includes more maths etc. There are a few topics which have science elements but it's more about biology like learning about psychopathology (if i recall correctly). You've got to put effort into psychology because it involves making a lot of notes and memorising key studies etc. It's pretty straightforward though! Hope this helped.

thank you that was really helpful! Can i just ask though, can you give me an example in what kind of maths/how is maths involved? i can get a A/B in maths but i dont particularly enjoy it so would this affect me in enjoying psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quiiddle
thank you that was really helpful! Can i just ask though, can you give me an example in what kind of maths/how is maths involved? i can get a A/B in maths but i dont particularly enjoy it so would this affect me in enjoying psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to intrude but its mainly correlation, mean median and mode etc not really difficult math. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest