The Student Room Group

UCAS resitting query

I did AS Maths at my secondary school (2 years ago) and got a U grade. I am taking maths at college and currently a second year student. I got a grade A at AS level when I did it last year. Do I have to enter the U grade as an AS level under my secondary school and also enter the A grade at my college on UCAS?
I did not receive any as level certificates amongst my gcse ones, does this mean they haven't been "cashed in" , hence do not need to enter them?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hassan55
I did AS Maths at my secondary school (2 years ago) and got a U grade. I am taking maths at college and currently a second year student. I got a grade A at AS level when I did it last year. Do I have to enter the U grade as an AS level under my secondary school and also enter the A grade at my college on UCAS?
I did not receive any as level certificates amongst my gcse ones, does this mean they haven't been "cashed in" , hence do not need to enter them?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3538633

Did you collect your GCSE certificates after leaving your secondary school (i.e. after completing the AS)? I would ask your secondary school whether they cashed it in or not -- to assume that they didn't and not enter it would be risking rather a lot.

Should you find that they weren't cashed in, then you do not need to enter them.
Original post by Hydeman
Did you collect your GCSE certificates after leaving your secondary school (i.e. after completing the AS)? I would ask your secondary school whether they cashed it in or not -- to assume that they didn't and not enter it would be risking rather a lot.

Should you find that they weren't cashed in, then you do not need to enter them.

If it's a state school, they have to be cashed in. It's only a tiny handful (and that's a really tiny handful) of private schools that don't.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman

Yes, alongside my other gcses I did the as exams. So I need to ask an admin at my secondary school if they were cashed in?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If it's a state school, they have to be cashed in. It's only a tiny handful (and that's a really tiny handful) of private schools that don't.

Fair point. OP might have gone to one of the tiny handful of schools though, so it's best to let them know anyway. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Fair point. OP might have gone to one of the tiny handful of schools though, so it's best to let them know anyway. :smile:

Well, he probably knows if it was a state school, so that can be easily eliminated if not.
Yes, alongside my other gcses I did the as exams. So I need to ask an admin at my secondary school if they were cashed in?

Not an admin -- you need to ask the exams officer at your secondary school whether it was cashed in. As Carnationlilyrose has said, it's almost certain that it was unless you went to one of a small number of private schools that don't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Is it a state school?
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman

Yeah it was a standard school, I regret taking the exams there tbh, they even got one of the exam dates wrong so missed it and aqa had to give me an average
Yeah it was a standard school, I regret taking the exams there tbh, they even got one of the exam dates wrong so missed it and aqa had to give me an average

If you mean it's a state school then, yes, you have to enter it on your UCAS form. :smile: It's unfortunate timing that you do -- a few years ago the rule was that you didn't have to enter failed qualifications (i.e. qualifications for which you don't receive a certificate), but that's changed now and you have to enter U grades as well.
Reply 11
Emily, you leave it.
I asked my college they said I did not need to enter it, that's why I asked on here
Reply 12
Original post by Hydeman
If you mean it's a state school then, yes, you have to enter it on your UCAS form. :smile: It's unfortunate timing that you do -- a few years ago the rule was that you didn't have to enter failed qualifications (i.e. qualifications for which you don't receive a certificate), but that's changed now and you have to enter U grades as well.

regarding "cashing in" does this mean receiving an AS certificate for the modules you have done?
regarding "cashing in" does this mean receiving an AS certificate for the modules you have done?

In most instances, yes. But U grades are the exception -- you don't get a certificate for them but you still have to enter them.
Reply 14
Original post by Hydeman

One of the admins at the college told me I did not have to enter the U grade as there is no certificate that I have for it. Is this not correct as you said that its all grades
One of the admins at the college told me I did not have to enter the U grade as there is no certificate that I have for it. Is this not correct as you said that its all grades

It used to be correct a few years ago but the current rules are that you must declare all qualifications you hold, even failed ones. The admin has most likely not kept up with changes to UCAS rules over the years.

Admins are not always the most clued up on these matters. Ucas is very clear about this:
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
Reply 17
Admins are not always the most clued up on these matters. Ucas is very clear about this:

Safe fam
Reply 18

But then why, if grades aren't "cashed in", does one need not to enter them
But then why, if grades aren't "cashed in", does one need not to enter them

God knows. It's a relic of the old system and it's not going to be an issue for much longer anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending