The Student Room Group

Britain's "best friend" warns trade barrier if leaves EU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I honestly get this feeling that a lot of the pro-EU people I speak to are worried that wanting to leave the EU might offend people across Europe or that the view might lead to them, god forbid, being branded as some form of racist.

Then you let a lot of these people know a few facts about our membership of the EU and you get a lot of "Oh my god I didn't even know that" comments.

As the referendum looms closer the pro-EU crowd will push two points in particular in the hope that the uneducated of Britain believe them:
1) Leaving the EU will lead the UK into poverty because nobody will trade with us. No trade, no money, no jobs, NO NHS, NO EMERGENCY SERVICES! BE SCARED BE SO SCAREDDDD!
2) But all these nice people won't be able to come to live here! You'd turn them all away would you!? You racists.

And you know what, it might actually work. I know people who should be die hard anti-Tories on 0 hour contracts who voted for David Cameron because he seemed a nice bloke. Serious issues are voted on with the mindset that its the final of Big Brother.

It will be a sad day if the people of the UK vote to remain part of the EU.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JordE
I honestly get this feeling that a lot of the pro-EU people I speak to are worried that wanting to leave the EU might offend people across Europe or that the view might lead to them, god forbid, being branded as some form of racist.

Then you let a lot of these people know a few facts about our membership of the EU and you get a lot of "Oh my god I didn't even know that" comments.

As the referendum looms closer the pro-EU crowd will push two points in particular in the hope that the uneducated of Britain believe them:
1) Leaving the EU will lead the UK into poverty because nobody will trade with us. No trade, no money, no jobs, NO NHS, NO EMERGENCY SERVICES! BE SCARED BE SO SCAREDDDD!
2) But all these nice people won't be able to come to live here! You'd turn them all away would you!? You racists.

And you know what, it might actually work. I know people who should be die hard anti-Tories on 0 hour contracts who voted for David Cameron because he seemed a nice bloke. Serious issues are voted on with the mindset that its the final of Big Brother.

It will be a sad day if the people of the UK vote to remain part of the EU.

The arguments for in this thread include likening the present day UK to 1700's America, not providing any solution to the hilarious economic policy of the Eurozone (an inability to set your own currency exchange/interest rates and the impact this has had on countries), and other nonsense. No trade? The UK buys so much from Germany I don't think they will want that at all. I mean we heard the same arguments for the should we join the euro debate regarding trade and look how that turned out,

The Europhiles really are the pretty dim. You want a country that has so little power it can't even control its borders, it can't even set its own monetary policy, its own laws are overruled by the EU...great. I really want closer union to the rest of Europe and when Turkey joins and floods the UK I will rejoice...
Not.
Reply 42
Original post by i<3milkshake
The arguments for in this thread include likening the present day UK to 1700's America, not providing any solution to the hilarious economic policy of the Eurozone (an inability to set your own currency exchange/interest rates and the impact this has had on countries), and other nonsense. No trade? The UK buys so much from Germany I don't think they will want that at all. I mean we heard the same arguments for the should we join the euro debate regarding trade and look how that turned out,

The Europhiles really are the pretty dim. You want a country that has so little power it can't even control its borders, it can't even set its own monetary policy, its own laws are overruled by the EU...great. I really want closer union to the rest of Europe and when Turkey joins and floods the UK I will rejoice...
Not.

I feel we are a country at breaking point. People are getting to the end of their tethers. A lot of this can be blamed on things brought upon us by the EU. I heard even that stupid tampon tax nonsense is actually something we can't change because of EU legislation...

Beyond all logical reason I just feel like things aren't going well. Lets just take a leap of faith and see how we get on. I feel it will be like a new beginning and maybe people here will start to take a little pride in themselves again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JordE
I feel we are a country at breaking point. People are getting to the end of their tethers. A lot of this can be blamed on things brought upon us by the EU. I heard even that stupid tampon tax nonsense is actually something we can't change because of EU legislation...

Beyond all logical reason I just feel like things aren't going well. Lets just take a leap of faith and see how we get on. I feel it will be like a new beginning and maybe people here will start to take a little pride in themselves again.

Sorry but that is just emotional rubbish.

The fact is that we depend on EU Trade more than the EU depend on us. If we leave the EU then jobs and tax revenue will be lost.

What magical thing do you expect to happen with a leap of faith? We can now lose 5% VAT (something which was rejected in parliament ) on tampons?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by DorianGrayism

The fact is that we depend on EU Trade more than the EU depend on us. If we leave the EU then jobs and tax revenue will be lost.

This is just scaremongering.
Read my previous post.
Original post by JordE
This is just scaremongering.
Read my previous post.

Again, not scaremongering.

We depend on 50% of our trade with them. They depend on 20% of their trade with us. Common sense would tell you that, we will be worse affected.

Even ignoring that issue, companies will move to avoid the trade barriers.

Jobs will be lost and tax will be lost. You are living in another world to believe otherwise.
Reply 46
Again, not scaremongering.

We depend on 50% of our trade with them. They depend on 20% of their trade with us. Common sense would tell you that, we will be worse affected.

Even ignoring that issue, companies will move to avoid the trade barriers.

Jobs will be lost and tax will be lost. You are living in another world to believe otherwise.

And which independent group published all of these facts?
Original post by JordE
And which independent group published all of these facts?

I suggest you look up the National Office of Statistics for export and import figures.

Tbh, this is just common sense. Obviously, a greater proportion of our trade would be with the EU than vice versa. The same is true with every country.
Reply 48
I suggest you look up the National Office of Statistics for export and import figures.

Tbh, this is just common sense. Obviously, a greater proportion of our trade would be with the EU than vice versa. The same is true with every country.

But the EU isn't a country. A proportion of our trade goes to each individual country within the EU and a proportion of theirs comes to us. Therefore each individual EU country will be somewhat affected by our leaving. We will be somewhat affected too. But a greater freedom to forge our own deals without spending millions or billions on EU membership I think will be beneficial.

Besides, this isn't just about trade. Look at the turmoil just a few hundred thousand migrants has caused within the organisation. It's about the UK looking after its own interests before the interests of other European countries.
Original post by JordE
But the EU isn't a country. A proportion of our trade goes to each individual country within the EU and a proportion of theirs comes to us. Therefore each individual EU country will be somewhat affected by our leaving. We will be somewhat affected too. But a greater freedom to forge our own deals without spending millions or billions on EU membership I think will be beneficial..

Sorry but just think about you have said. Our trade with EVERY single one of those countries will be affected. However, only their trade with us will be affected. That means we will be badly hit.

Again, free trade deals are very hard to implement. It took 10 years to implement one with the USA. It will not be that easy and we will be in a weak position as one country to get favorable terms.

Original post by JordE

Besides, this isn't just about trade. Look at the turmoil just a few hundred thousand migrants has caused within the organisation. It's about the UK looking after its own interests before the interests of other European countries.

Let's be serious. We are accepting 20,000 over a few years. We are at the edge of the EU. We are not going to be that badly affected.
Reply 50

Let's be serious. We are accepting 20,000 over a few years. We are at the edge of the EU. We are not going to be that badly affected.

I didn't say it was just about migration. If you think that's the only thing the EU dictates to us then you are hugely mislead. In fact my post which you refer to mentions two distinctly different things:

1) The amazing EU can't even respond to a migrant crisis appropriately.
2) The UK should not have laws dictated to it by an organisation not acting in the best interest of the UK.

I didn't even say that they were linked.
Original post by JordE
I didn't say it was just about migration. If you think that's the only thing the EU dictates to us then you are hugely mislead. In fact my post which you refer to mentions two distinctly different things:

1) The amazing EU can't even respond to a migrant crisis appropriately.
2) The UK should not have laws dictated to it by an organisation not acting in the best interest of the UK.

I didn't even say that they were linked.

You are just going backwards now.

You said we should leave and just see what happens. Again, this is not based on fact or logic. I have already stated the trade figures.
Reply 52
You are just going backwards now.

You said we should leave and just see what happens. Again, this is not based on fact or logic. I have already stated the trade figures.

I am going backwards by directly quoting and responding to something you have posted?

You clearly haven't read my original post on this thread.

You have stated you know of facts and figures but I am yet to see any evidence. Don't ask me to go searching for them. If you say something is fact then link me to the fact. But the fact of the matter is that whatever you do link I can counter with another piece of evidence which will no doubt directly contradict it, such is the nature of the internet.
Original post by JordE
I am going backwards by directly quoting and responding to something you have posted?

You clearly haven't read my original post on this thread.

You have stated you know of facts and figures but I am yet to see any evidence. Don't ask me to go searching for them. If you say something is fact then link me to the fact. But the fact of the matter is that whatever you do link I can counter with another piece of evidence which will no doubt directly contradict it, such is the nature of the internet.

Well, if you can already contradict it, then why don't you contradict it?

I have already written it out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending