The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ziggyystardust
Has anyone applied to Somerville for English?
I'm from an international school in Greece :smile: don't know if I qualify as an international applicant...

I did!
We're all despondent, then. :tongue:
Original post by emem2011
Is anyone else feeling really deflated after their admissions test?
I sat the BMAT and at first I was ok because I knew I hadn't done well, although now i'm really disappointed because I love Oxford and I know I stand no chance for Medicine. Oxford is the only BMAT university I applied to because I knew it was a risk to apply to more than one, and it was always going to be Oxford.

I think the thing with BMAT in particular this year was that there was so much reading to do, which took up an awful lot of time. As a result, I ran out of time to properly consider some of my answers. There were also a few questions that I think could have been debated over. I've read lots of people discussing the question about whether black or white clothing would be better in the winter. I spent a while deliberating over this, as black would absorb any heat that was available although white may reflect body heat back in. I went for black in the end, although lots of people went for white and I can see both sides of the argument. I'm really disappointed because I think some of the questions in BMAT don't give you the chance to explain your choice, using this one as an example. I've also presented it to quite a few different people who sat the BMAT who know lots about physics, and they even said it could be argued both ways.

I'm a person who really enjoys learning and so I know the Medicine course would have been really interesting to me as it's so academic and science-based, although it's literally hit me this weekend that I definitely have no chance now!

Does anyone else feel this way, whether you sat the BMAT or another admissions test?

I feel the same. I'm applying for Materials Science and sat the PAT test. I revised all half term and know that if I wasn't stressed could have answered all the questions. I hope i get an interview because of strong academic record etc. but even then I'm thinking what's the point? They'll interview me and reject me anyway because somebody else did better on that test. Feeling pretty disheartened now...
I hope everything works out for you anyway :smile:
Is anyone else feeling really deflated after their admissions test?
I sat the BMAT and at first I was ok because I knew I hadn't done well, although now i'm really disappointed because I love Oxford and I know I stand no chance for Medicine. Oxford is the only BMAT university I applied to because I knew it was a risk to apply to more than one, and it was always going to be Oxford.

I think the thing with BMAT in particular this year was that there was so much reading to do, which took up an awful lot of time. As a result, I ran out of time to properly consider some of my answers. There were also a few questions that I think could have been debated over. I've read lots of people discussing the question about whether black or white clothing would be better in the winter. I spent a while deliberating over this, as black would absorb any heat that was available although white may reflect body heat back in. I went for black in the end, although lots of people went for white and I can see both sides of the argument. I'm really disappointed because I think some of the questions in BMAT don't give you the chance to explain your choice, using this one as an example. I've also presented it to quite a few different people who sat the BMAT who know lots about physics, and they even said it could be argued both ways.

I'm a person who really enjoys learning and so I know the Medicine course would have been really interesting to me as it's so academic and science-based, although it's literally hit me this weekend that I definitely have no chance now!

Does anyone else feel this way, whether you sat the BMAT or another admissions test?

i'm totally with you on that, the BMAT was weird this year - i really didnt like section 1 either which is strange because normally they're not too bad...
Original post by Orangemonkey1
I feel the same. I'm applying for Materials Science and sat the PAT test. I revised all half term and know that if I wasn't stressed could have answered all the questions. I hope i get an interview because of strong academic record etc. but even then I'm thinking what's the point? They'll interview me and reject me anyway because somebody else did better on that test. Feeling pretty disheartened now...

This goes to everyone who is upset about the BMAT:

It's really sad to read this! Please, please have more confidence. If you get invited to interview, you need to show them that you think you are good enough (without being cocky, obviously).

Best scenario: you get an interview, smash it, and end up at one of the best unis in the world.

Worst scenario: you don't get in - you end up at another uni that you fall in love with when you are there.

Whatever happens, you're going to be fine. Even if you don't get a medicine offer this year (which I really hope you do), you can always try again. I know someone who applied straight away, got 0/5, and took a gap year. She volunteered abroad, did loads of work experience and carried out loads of research. The next year, she got 4/4 medicine offers. It isn't impossible!

I'm guilty of being negative too, but what's the point? It'll only reduce your chances.

Good Luck xxx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Orangemonkey1

Original post by misstac
i'm totally with you on that, the BMAT was weird this year - i really didnt like section 1 either which is strange because normally they're not too bad...

Thank you both! Yes I know what you mean Orangemonkey1, it's so disheartening when you work so hard. I really tried my best and knew my scientific content inside out, it's just unfortunate that the questions didn't really seem to relate to the topics... I'm sure everything happens for a reason but right now it just seems pretty disappointing to be awaiting a rejection :frown: I'm sure you will have done much better than you think though!

I felt as though the BMAT this year was very strange too. There was a great deal of content and the timing restrictions made things very difficult. I'm just hoping for the best! I'm not sure how Oxford weight GCSEs and BMAT against one another, I'm just hoping my GCSEs outweigh my BMAT performance to at least get me an interview. I think at an interview you can definitely express your thought process of working out an answer far more than with BMAT :/
Yay another medicine applicant for St John's :smile: Although after the BMAT I stand no chance haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! :smile: but not feeling very hopeful anymore, haha
Original post by magic_is_might
yeah my mum's from Athens so I have family there, but we live in London. Ah I hadn't realized there was more than one international school in Athens apart from the one that seems to always be advertised on tv.

Ahh you're a london greek! I used to live in London and I've got many relatives living there now, there's a really big greek community there.
Original post by georgiaf
Yeah I've applied to Somerville for English too! Good luck with ur application :biggrin:

Ahh good luck! Fingers crossed we both get interviews xx
Where else have you applied to?
Anyone applying for Corpus Christi here? I haven't actually seen anyone who applied there :biggrin:
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
I did!

There are three of us on this thread applying to Somerville for English! Hopefully we'll see each other at interviews!! Do they notify us by the 30th Nov or on the 30th Nov?
Original post by ziggyystardust
Ahh good luck! Fingers crossed we both get interviews xx
Where else have you applied to?

Haha thanks yep that would be good!! I've also applied to Durham and Edinburgh (yet to hear back) and have offers from York and Exeter so at least I can go to a uni :P hbu? x
Original post by anonlad
Despite not knowing the person I can say with a lot of confidence she did not get 5/5 medicine offers

I'm not entirely sure why you think I would lie but I'm not going to argue with you about it, it really wasn't the point of the post x
Original post by georgiaf
Haha thanks yep that would be good!! I've also applied to Durham and Edinburgh (yet to hear back) and have offers from York and Exeter so at least I can go to a uni :P hbu? x

I just realised that we've had a similar convo on another thread haha...but again congrats on your offers!
I've applied to Durham, St Andrews, UCL and Exeter. I've only heard back from Exeter so far (offer)
Original post by Aquaxo
I'm not entirely sure why you think I would lie but I'm not going to argue with you about it, it really wasn't the point of the post x

Whilst I like and repped your post, I assume their point is that you literally CAN'T apply to five medical schools via UCAS within the same cycle - you have a maximum of four medicine choices :yes:
Hi there, thanks for your reply! :smile:
I've applied to St John's, how about you? Yes Section 1 was really hard, there was a great deal of reading involved and as a result timing was difficult to manage. I'm hoping that my GCSEs make up for it as I got 14A*s in my subjects, so if they shortlist on GCSE results and BMAT scores then hopefully poor performance in one will be outweighed by high performance in another.

I completely agree with you- the dice one I guessed because I knew I was running out of time and I don't think I ever would have got that one right, and I spent ages trying to work out that map question but I got that one wrong too. The thing is, if we'd have been given longer I think I would have been able to get a good mark but right now my marks just represent the work of a really rushed applicant!!

It is such a horrible wait, I just wish results would come so I could get my bad score over with. I agree with you, it is really unfulfilling as we worked so hard for it. I go to a normal state school and I can't afford to go on BMAT courses so I just worked for months practising papers and revising content, I completely covered the Section 2 'assumed knowledge' revision guide and I don't think any of it helped me :/

I've applied to Merton. 14A*s?! That's two more than me; you're in a very strong position indeed.

I know, I had been told that the BMAT would be 'the worst exam you'll ever sit in your life' and I see why now...

I hadn't gone on a course either and spent so long revising for physics, of which there was very little. I'm just frustrated because I knew I could have done better, and wonder if a course might have helped, and maybe people who had been able to go on courses will score higher as a result.

I just want an interview; I really don't mind if I get rejected after interviews because I'll know that I'd have given my best but they didn't think Oxford was right for me, but to get a rejection pre-interview is just so demoralising.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, let me know how you get on! Where else have you applied?
Good lord my GCSEs are painfully under par. You people depress me! :wink:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Whilst I like and repped your post, I assume their point is that you literally CAN'T apply to five medical schools via UCAS within the same cycle - you have a maximum of four medicine choices :yes:

Oops! I mean 4/4 (she said she got all of her medicine offers so I assumed that was 5/5, she must have had another offer for Biomed)

Thank you for explaining, I am not a medicine student! :-) x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Clarinet
I've applied to Merton. 14A*s?! That's two more than me; you're in a very strong position indeed.

I know, I had been told that the BMAT would be 'the worst exam you'll ever sit in your life' and I see why now...

I hadn't gone on a course either and spent so long revising for physics, of which there was very little. I'm just frustrated because I knew I could have done better, and wonder if a course might have helped, and maybe people who had been able to go on courses will score higher as a result.

I just want an interview; I really don't mind if I get rejected after interviews because I'll know that I'd have given my best but they didn't think Oxford was right for me, but to get a rejection pre-interview is just so demoralising.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, let me know how you get on! Where else have you applied?

Wow you have such amazing GCSEs too, you have a brilliant chance!
It definitely was the hardest exam I have ever sat. Trying to revise all of the topics covered in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics in a few months- with extra topics outside the syllabus- was extremely difficult. I have also been wondering about the benefits of these courses that were offered prior to BMAT. I know someone who went on one who said that they felt BMAT had gone well as they covered a lot of the necessary information on their course, although I guess it might not be the same for everyone :/

I am the exact same, I just want an interview to prove myself! I don't think BMAT gives you the opportunity to explain your thought process and how you come to a decision regarding an answer, and I think that's something an interview at Oxford would offer. I would be less disheartened if I got a rejection after interview, rather than before interview.

Thank you so much, I'm sure you'll be fine too with such brilliant GCSEs. I have also applied to Cardiff, Bristol and Glasgow so Oxford was my only BMAT university. Where else have you applied, and what are you studying for A2? I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English for A2 and I did Maths and Religious Studies at AS Level :smile: I just love St John's haha, it's such a welcoming place (although all of the Oxford colleges are, I'd be happy wherever), and so is Merton! :smile:
Wow you have such amazing GCSEs too, you have a brilliant chance!
It definitely was the hardest exam I have ever sat. Trying to revise all of the topics covered in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics in a few months- with extra topics outside the syllabus- was extremely difficult. I have also been wondering about the benefits of these courses that were offered prior to BMAT. I know someone who went on one who said that they felt BMAT had gone well as they covered a lot of the necessary information on their course, although I guess it might not be the same for everyone :/

I am the exact same, I just want an interview to prove myself! I don't think BMAT gives you the opportunity to explain your thought process and how you come to a decision regarding an answer, and I think that's something an interview at Oxford would offer. I would be less disheartened if I got a rejection after interview, rather than before interview.

Thank you so much, I'm sure you'll be fine too with such brilliant GCSEs. I have also applied to Cardiff, Bristol and Glasgow so Oxford was my only BMAT university. Where else have you applied, and what are you studying for A2? I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English for A2 and I did Maths and Religious Studies at AS Level :smile: I just love St John's haha, it's such a welcoming place (although all of the Oxford colleges are, I'd be happy wherever), and so is Merton! :smile:

I'll message you, I don't want to clog up this thread with our chatting :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending