The Student Room Group

trig-a level ocr

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PrimeLime
Yeah further maths is bit better in that regard. FP1 is certainly getting a lot better at testing understanding, but D1... XD that's LITERALLY just algorithms.

Hahaha yeah - that's why I loved D1 :tongue:

Well, that and I do computing :wink:
Original post by T_H_E
lol or maybe i am just dumb:/
edit: btw if u just rearrange
4 sin2ϴ-1=0
u get
sin2ϴ=1/4, then u have a same problem?

Yeah. sinϴ=½ and cosϴ=sqrt{3}/2 have the same solutions, I was just following on from where you left off. Hope this helps!

p.s. you should know this result as ϴ=30 degrees or pi/6 radians (0<ϴ<90/0<ϴ<pi/2)
Original post by Andy98
True, it's just usually I find people seem to learn better when you're patient with them

Sorry if I seemed impatient with my comments, didn't feel like I was but I'll take that into account.
Reply 23
Original post by Hazel37
Just square root cos^2 so you get
Cos x = +/- root3/2
The use the usual cast diagram to solve for your angles!
So if you had the interval 0<x<360
the angles would be: 30,150,210,330

yup u r right (ans are at the back, but couldnt figure out how to get there:smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Hazel37
Just square root cos^2 so you get
Cos x = +/- root3/2
The use the usual cast diagram to solve for your angles!
So if you had the interval 0<x<360
the angles would be: 30,150,210,330

Ngl, I've never used a CAST diagram before :colondollar:

Plus, try to refrain from posting solutions. It doesn't help the user learn, and it's technically against site rules.
Reply 25
Sorry if I seemed impatient with my comments, didn't feel like I was but I'll take that into account.

It's OK
Reply 26
Original post by Andy98
Ngl, I've never used a CAST diagram before :colondollar:

Plus, try to refrain from posting solutions. It doesn't help the user learn, and it's technically against site rules.

The CAST method is the bomb.
Soz, I couldnt think of another way to help. I wasnt even aware they were rules tbh.
Reply 27
Original post by Hazel37
The CAST method is the bomb.
Soz, I couldnt think of another way to help. I wasnt even aware they were rules tbh.

Don't even know how the things work - it's those horrid circles isn't it?
Well you're forgetting that you need to consider the negative square root too.

Sorry, I forgot to type it. I completely agree with what you said about people being taught to memorise identities etc. rather than getting to grips with the reason why something works - that's why I enjoy STEP so much.
Original post by vectorpi
Sorry, I forgot to type it. I completely agree with what you said about people being taught to memorise identities etc. rather than getting to grips with the reason why something works - that's why I enjoy STEP so much.

Exactly why I enjoy STEP as well! (Gosh there's a lot of people on TSR doing STEP!) The only qualm I have is that A-Level does nothing to prepare you for things like STEP, so it really takes some getting used to for a lot of people. STEP is a great example of what real maths is :smile:.
Exactly why I enjoy STEP as well! (Gosh there's a lot of people on TSR doing STEP!) The only qualm I have is that A-Level does nothing to prepare you for things like STEP, so it really takes some getting used to for a lot of people. STEP is a great example of what real maths is :smile:.

It is a bit of a shame really, I know the first time I looked at a STEP question, my confidence plummeted, because, despite having a great maths department, I'd never been introduced to something like that...
Original post by vectorpi
It is a bit of a shame really, I know the first time I looked at a STEP question, my confidence plummeted, because, despite having a great maths department, I'd never been introduced to something like that...

Felt a bit like that when I looked at a STEP III paper XD.
But I'm now pretty confident with STEP I. I've been doing individual questions under timed conditions and it's going well. I think the idea of doing most of my prep under timed conditions is going to help a lot for the exam.
You applying to Cambridge for maths? Or Warwick? Or both like me? XD
Felt a bit like that when I looked at a STEP III paper XD.
But I'm now pretty confident with STEP I. I've been doing individual questions under timed conditions and it's going well. I think the idea of doing most of my prep under timed conditions is going to help a lot for the exam.
You applying to Cambridge for maths? Or Warwick? Or both like me? XD

I reckon I'll apply to both, but I need to do more research over the summer into Warick and perhaps some of the other London unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending