The Student Room Group

Exactly how hard is physics?

I'm in year 11 right now, thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and German, and now I'm wondering if I'd be better off doing Chemistry instead of Physics.

How different is Physics A-level to GCSE Physics, and how difficult is it in general?

EDIT: Our school's exam board is AQA for both subjects, if it helps at all.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It really depends on how good you are and enjoy science. Noone I know has found physics particularly hard tho

Also might I add your first set of choices is VERY nice :sly: (totally nothing to do with the fact that I'm taking those exact ones xD)

The jump from GCSE isn't that tough
Reply 2
Original post by BlueBlueBells
I'm in year 11 right now, thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and German, and now I'm wondering if I'd be better off doing Chemistry instead of Physics.

How different is Physics A-level to GCSE Physics, and how difficult is it in general?

More calculations, you also do new things like particles and quantum which is really interesting.
I did both chemistry and physics at AS, and also am doing chemistry at A2 atm.
I got A's in both so i'd say if you like science and are willing to put in time, then do physics.
By the looks of your options id say physics would be a better choice as if you want to go into a maths/engineering/physics degree you'd be a really strong applicant. :smile:
Reply 3
i loved physics - i got AA*A in triple science
i took bio, chem, phys and computing and got BCCB respectively

i took it to AS without maths
i almost died and managed to scrape a C

never again

but don't let me put you off if it's really what you wanna do, go for it you'll be fine

Spoiler

Original post by Student403
It really depends on how good you are and enjoy science. Noone I know has found physics particularly hard tho

Also might I add your first set of choices is VERY nice :sly: (totally nothing to do with the fact that I'm taking those exact ones xD)

The jump from GCSE isn't that tough

That's awesome! I did have a choice between French and German, but I opted for German, since I'd say more confident in that.

Okay, so the myth about physics being difficult is just a myth. I am very science/maths orientated, so hopefully I'll be able to cope with physics. To be honest, I just cannot wait for when I drop English (again, science/maths orientated), and either subject should work out for me.

Might as well stick to physics, maybe. As long as no one changes my mind again :crossedf:
That's awesome! I did have a choice between French and German, but I opted for German, since I'd say more confident in that.

Okay, so the myth about physics being difficult is just a myth. I am very science/maths orientated, so hopefully I'll be able to cope with physics. To be honest, I just cannot wait for when I drop English (again, science/maths orientated), and either subject should work out for me.

Might as well stick to physics, maybe. As long as no one changes my mind again :crossedf:

I can totally relate lol I was literally counting down the lessons of English I had left xD

If you're really science/maths orientated, you'll have a blast. Physics is sooo much fun!

Also if you take German I'd love to help!
Original post by Hazel37
More calculations, you also do new things like particles and quantum which is really interesting.
I did both chemistry and physics at AS, and also am doing chemistry at A2 atm.
I got A's in both so i'd say if you like science and are willing to put in time, then do physics.
By the looks of your options id say physics would be a better choice as if you want to go into a maths/engineering/physics degree you'd be a really strong applicant. :smile:

I might possibly do something like engineering, so maybe.

Plus, do you think physics complements maths and further maths more than chemistry? I'd like to do something that's perhaps more maths related.
Reply 7
Looks like you'd be great with physics - also it'd make certain units of maths easier. I'm surprised by German though
Original post by z33
i loved physics - i got AA*A in triple science
i took bio, chem, phys and computing and got BCCB respectively

i took it to AS without maths
i almost died and managed to scrape a C

never again

but don't let me put you off if it's really what you wanna do, go for it you'll be fine

Spoiler

Really sorry to hear about the physics teacher thingy, but I guess as long as you enjoyed it, it was worth it.

And I guess I should just go for it (are you sure I won't regret anything by not taking chemistry?)
Reply 9
If you can avoid taking Chemistry, don't take it. It's one of the hardest A-Levels. I got As in Physics at AS without too much work (versus loads of work for Chem and walking away with Cs and Ds in modules). If you're taking Maths that'll only make it easier.

The jump isn't so bad, but there is a bit more independent work you'll need to do. Teachers will teach you, but I've found you will be expected to read up on stuff separately in your own time, especially for science subjects, when you might get asked broad "How Science Works" questions.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
Looks like you'd be great with physics - also it'd make certain units of maths easier. I'm surprised by German though

I was more hoping certain units of maths and further maths would make things easier in physics :colondollar:
German, I took because I think that even with me enjoying maths-y and science-y in general, it might be a bit too much.

Spoiler

Reply 11
I was more hoping certain units of maths and further maths would make things easier in physics :colondollar:
German, I took because I think that even with me enjoying maths-y and science-y in general, it might be a bit too much.

Spoiler

It depends which way round they do it :tongue:

Fair enough - I chose computing instead of the German :wink:
Reply 12
If you're good at maths it should be okay. I personally found it harder than FM
Original post by Student403
I can totally relate lol I was literally counting down the lessons of English I had left xD

If you're really science/maths orientated, you'll have a blast. Physics is sooo much fun!

Also if you take German I'd love to help!

How about we speak in German, oder?
as hard as your dingymidoodaa

assuming you're not horny

sorry
I honestly have no idea
Reply 15
Really sorry to hear about the physics teacher thingy, but I guess as long as you enjoyed it, it was worth it.

And I guess I should just go for it (are you sure I won't regret anything by not taking chemistry?)

Hmmm well if you don't particularly enjoy chemistry obviously you wouldn't like it. If your examboard is OCR B THEN DON'T EVER DO CHEMISTRY EVER OKAY? because I did the Salters board and it was ALL organic chemistry, drove me crazy - made me hate it.

But if you're doing any other examboard, even OCR A, then you'll be fine. Chemistry is quite interesting. It's got some physics in it with half lifes and radiation and the excitation of electrons with photons etcetera. That was all in OCR B - there's loads more in other examboards. Chemistry also covers some biology! Well... biochemistry with amino acids and proteins and DNA so that's pretty cool. I find Chemistry to cover a wide range of ideas - obviously there would be a few topics you don't like (as with every course - i didn't enjoy plant stuff in Bio and i didn't enjoy electricity and circuit stuff in Physics). Point is - I'm not sure if you'd regret taking Chemistry.

My advice would be to pop into your school's library's reference section, pick up a physics textbook and a chemistry textbook and quickly look through it. Which one has the most interesting topics? Pick that one. I don't think Physics would be a huge problem if your teaching is good, you get tuition and you enjoy it. Neither would chemistry. So at the end of the day - it's about the one you enjoy most. Also if you're doing mechanics in maths - it will basically be the mechanics module in physics and it would help quite a bit. Idk - good luck with whatever you choose though :biggrin:
Original post by ubisoft
If you're good at maths it should be okay. I personally found it harder than FM

I have generally been better at physics, I think, but test results have sort of thrown me off. I do think it is because the physics paper was generally harder, but now I'm sort of questioning my physics ability.

I certainly enjoy physics, particularly the sections on astronomy, so I might just stick with it either way.
Original post by Scitty
If you can avoid taking Chemistry, don't take it. It's one of the hardest A-Levels. I got As in Physics at AS without too much work (versus loads of work for Chem and walking away with Cs and Ds in modules). If you're taking Maths that'll only make it easier.

The jump isn't so bad, but there is a bit more independent work you'll need to do. Teachers will teach you, but I've found you will be expected to read up on stuff separately in your own time, especially for science subjects, when you might get asked broad "How Science Works" questions.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Do you think that Physics will be more relevant for future STEM careers too? I might be doing something maths related, possibly engineering.
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
as hard as your dingymidoodaa

assuming you're not horny

sorry
I honestly have no idea

:rofl: That's fine, so what are you taking/ did you take?
Original post by z33
Hmmm well if you don't particularly enjoy chemistry obviously you wouldn't like it. If your examboard is OCR B THEN DON'T EVER DO CHEMISTRY EVER OKAY? because I did the Salters board and it was ALL organic chemistry, drove me crazy - made me hate it.

But if you're doing any other examboard, even OCR A, then you'll be fine. Chemistry is quite interesting. It's got some physics in it with half lifes and radiation and the excitation of electrons with photons etcetera. That was all in OCR B - there's loads more in other examboards. Chemistry also covers some biology! Well... biochemistry with amino acids and proteins and DNA so that's pretty cool. I find Chemistry to cover a wide range of ideas - obviously there would be a few topics you don't like (as with every course - i didn't enjoy plant stuff in Bio and i didn't enjoy electricity and circuit stuff in Physics). Point is - I'm not sure if you'd regret taking Chemistry.

My advice would be to pop into your school's library's reference section, pick up a physics textbook and a chemistry textbook and quickly look through it. Which one has the most interesting topics? Pick that one. I don't think Physics would be a huge problem if your teaching is good, you get tuition and you enjoy it. Neither would chemistry. So at the end of the day - it's about the one you enjoy most. Also if you're doing mechanics in maths - it will basically be the mechanics module in physics and it would help quite a bit. Idk - good luck with whatever you choose though :biggrin:

Thanks :tongue: At least I do still have a few months left before I make my final choice. And yeah, looking through a textbook is a good idea, so again, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest