The Student Room Group

Mocks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
i'm sure you'll be alright! mine are in 4 weeks exact but i haven't really started revising heavily yet oops

When d'you think is the best time to start revising? Should I start now if my exams are in January?
Original post by brainzistheword
So some of you probably have mocks in a couple of weeks like me. I just wanted to know what you are doing to revise and what you are predicted. Also, how differently are you treating it compared to the real thing e.g. the time you spend revising/detail you concentrate on?

Would love to hear your stories!

I'm predicted A/A* in everything and for me, the best way to revise is to do past paper's. I find out my weak areas when doing them then I just read about it several times over in my revision book
Original post by BlueBlueBells
When d'you think is the best time to start revising? Should I start now if my exams are in January?

revise the topics you struggle on lightly and ask your teacher for support when needed - nearer to exams start revising a bit more but if you space your revision out you'll be less stressed and have more time to have fun!
Plus revision is more effective this way :smile:
i'm sure you'll be alright! mine are in 4 weeks exact but i haven't really started revising heavily yet oops

That's fine, the only one I've been revising for ages for is Geography :tongue: I hope I get a good grade then. Start doing a little now, you'll be okay.
Original post by _ariane29
That's fine, the only one I've been revising for ages for is Geography :tongue: I hope I get a good grade then. Start doing a little now, you'll be okay.

i hope so !
Reply 25
I don't like admitting it but I'm predicted A* in everything - under no circumstance will i brag about this though. If you need help just let me know :smile:

your predicted grades are amazing! Any revision tips or how you stay motivated?
I do recommend taking mocks seriously. They're actually there for your benefit. A lot of people do minimum effort but if you do actually revise properly and treat it like an exam, the feedback you get will be genuinely useful.
I am doing no revision at all so that I'll hopefully be more motivated to do actual revision for the real GCSEs and know what I do and don't need to revise for the real thing... also known as making an excuse for laziness and procrastination but hey xD
Reply 28
So some of you probably have mocks in a couple of weeks like me. I just wanted to know what you are doing to revise and what you are predicted. Also, how differently are you treating it compared to the real thing e.g. the time you spend revising/detail you concentrate on?

I'm predicted all A's and my mocks start TOMORROW!
i thought I'd come on here to look for advice but it seems i'm the only one with mocks tomorrow although i know some people from other schools with them tomorrow.
For science i'm reading through the text books and condensing the information i collect to write important notes on flash cards.
maths i'm just doing loads of past papers and topics i need to revise, i do exam questions found online and in books etc.
english language im just winging it tbh :') its a difficult subject to revise but i know how long to spend on each question and what each question requires.
for spanish im just learning a bunch of vocab relevant to my exam.
for textiles i'm just looking over properties and uses of materials and qualities of fibres etc.
for media my teachers a bit clueless so i'm on my own
for history i'm revising key dates and events making sure i know their effects and answering exam questions so i know paragraph structure and how to develop my points etc.

hope this helps anyone who needs it :tongue: good luck everyone!
revise the topics you struggle on lightly and ask your teacher for support when needed - nearer to exams start revising a bit more but if you space your revision out you'll be less stressed and have more time to have fun!
Plus revision is more effective this way :smile:

Will try to, though I know I'm more a last minute kind of person. No idea how to stop this habit :s-smilie:
Reply 30

My mocks start next week and tbh I haven't been revising much as I am a procasinator! however I hope to revise daily after my mocks for my gcses with a timetable I hope to follow.
Original post by A.A.I
I'm predicted all A's and my mocks start TOMORROW!
i thought I'd come on here to look for advice but it seems i'm the only one with mocks tomorrow although i know some people from other schools with them tomorrow.
For science i'm reading through the text books and condensing the information i collect to write important notes on flash cards.
maths i'm just doing loads of past papers and topics i need to revise, i do exam questions found online and in books etc.
english language im just winging it tbh :':wink: its a difficult subject to revise but i know how long to spend on each question and what each question requires.
for spanish im just learning a bunch of vocab relevant to my exam.
for textiles i'm just looking over properties and uses of materials and qualities of fibres etc.
for media my teachers a bit clueless so i'm on my own
for history i'm revising key dates and events making sure i know their effects and answering exam questions so i know paragraph structure and how to develop my points etc.

hope this helps anyone who needs it :tongue: good luck everyone!

My mocks start tomorrow too so good luck to you :biggrin: Seems like you're doing all the right things. And I know, how on earth do you revise for media, my teacher is clueless too!? Luckily, I don't have mocks in media though :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by _ariane29
My mocks start tomorrow too so good luck to you :biggrin: Seems like you're doing all the right things. And I know, how on earth do you revise for media, my teacher is clueless too!? Luckily, I don't have mocks in media though :biggrin:

you're so luck you dont have a media exam. we have to watch trailers and remember stuff apparently fro our exam. i don't know what to do. and thanks :smile:
Original post by A.A.I
you're so luck you dont have a media exam. we have to watch trailers and remember stuff apparently fro our exam. i don't know what to do. and thanks :smile:

Aw you'll be fine. Be confident! :smile: To be fair I have no idea what a media exam is even like. We are still doing coursework, I'm so bored of it. Media is such a drag,
please do if you don't mind - in my last practice mocks i got an A in physics but a B in maths, i haven't improved in maths since last year :frown:
i'm doing exam boards aqa for pyhsics and edexcel for maths wbout u?

I'm doing OCR Gateway B for Physics and Edexcel for maths. Of course I'll help you.
Original post by sharmacka
I'm predicted A/A* in everything and for me, the best way to revise is to do past paper's. I find out my weak areas when doing them then I just read about it several times over in my revision book

Thanks for that - do you repeat th and if so how long after?
Original post by Afgsed
your predicted grades are amazing! Any revision tips or how you stay motivated?

Well like I said earlier I like a variety - so I might listen to an audio revision file whilst walking somewhere and take question cards everywhere so i can use them at every opportunity. Making things colourful and funny helps. In terms of motivation I just keep in mind what I want to get or do in future. Trying to do challenging questions or A level stuff sometimes helps the simple stuff stick and if you like the subject then you feel like you're getting a head start on next year :smile:
Original post by Mr...
That won't work, if you revise then you'll see what you actually need help on because if you struggle with subjects even after revising them then you clearly need more help.

I just feel so demotivated when revising because most of the stuff I look at, I already know and it seems so boring and pointless since I can't be bothered to spend hours revising lots of stuff just to find a few bits of information I actually need to go through, but if I skip parts, I might just miss something important.I thought purposely "failing" my mocks might wake me up somewhat in terms of laziness and make me realise the necessity of revision more in the future; I know it sounds ridiculous but I've just always really lacked the motivation to revise for anything so I feel like I need to show myself that not revising/night-before-cramming won't always work, learn the lesson now when it doesn't matter and not in the real thing as it were...
Reply 38
my mocks are in a week but ive been trying to revise as much but it was really tough as my school has been throwing so much coursework at us until just last week :s-smilie: at least ill know that with my actual gcses ill have a lot more time to revise
Original post by BlueBlueBells
Will try to, though I know I'm more a last minute kind of person. No idea how to stop this habit :s-smilie:

I'm more of a last minute kinda person too so I can't help you there all I can say is limit your distractions to ensure you do things straight away usually that's what prevents me from getting on

Quick Reply

Latest