The Student Room Group

Why is prejudice is ethnic minorities not challenged in the UK?

Prejudice from ethnic groups in the UK, particularly in the Asian communities, for instance people of Indian and Pakistani descent, in my experience, also harbour severely prejudice views towards other ethnic groups, such as the Black and Chinese. Why is it, that it is rarely ever challenged when these ethnic groups are prejudice? Is this not a double standard?

I understand what racism is, I understand that it is a structure, but at the end of the day, If someone's family would abandon them for bringing home a Black or Chinese person, purely based on their ethnicity, should this prejudice not also be challenged? There have been cases in the UK where Indian and Pakistani families have refused to talk to their children for marrying white people also, which is prejudice, and in my opinion should be challenged, because as much as White Supremacy exists within the Western World, Class-ism is very existent within Asian culture, and it is insane that no-one challenges it, in fear of saying the wrong thing, and being labelled prejudice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I dont understand how you think it isnt challenged and how you expect it to be challenged.
It was the fear of being accused of prejudice against ethnic minorities that lead to social workers , police, local councillors and press to look the other way for 15 yrs while girls were being raped by gangs all over the country.
To work in any capacity in local government and be accused of prejudice against an ethnic minority is a nail in the coffin of your career. The accusation would follow you around like a bad smell even if it wasn't proven.
The very idea that you think it goes unchallenged shows a persecution complex.
Original post by david_94

There no such thing as racism to whites in the UK

Although a ethnic minority in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

A) Such persons are still statistically rare relative to whites in authority

B) In virtually all cases, there are authorities above those ethnic minorities who are white, and who would not stand for such actions

C) Even in cases where a person of colour sits atop a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

The fact is there are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which ethnic minorities exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media. As such, the ability of ethnic minorities to oppress white people simply does not exist.

Having said that, it's certainly true that in other countries, were people of colour are the majority they could have power sufficient to discriminate whites. Although even racism to whites in places like China, Japan, India, Pakistan, Nigeria or Ghana is somewhat limited by the reality of global economics and the desire for good relations with the West.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PrincePaul353535

Although a ethnic minority in an authority position can discriminate against a white person, this kind of thing rarely happens because,

B) In virtually all cases, there are authorities above those ethnic minorities who are white, and who would not stand for such actions

C) Even in cases where a person of colour sits atop a power structure (as with President Obama), he is not truly free to do anything to oppress white people (even were he so inclined), given his own need to attract white support in order to win election or pass any of his policy agenda.

The fact is there are no institutional structures in the U.K. in which ethnic minorities exercise final and controlling authority: not in the school systems, labour market, justice system, housing markets, financial markets, or media. As such, the ability of ethnic minorities to oppress white people simply does not exist.

Having said that, it's certainly true that in other countries, were people of colour are the majority they could have power sufficient to discriminate whites. Although even racism to whites in places like China, Japan, India, Pakistan, Nigeria or Ghana is somewhat limited by the reality of global economics and the desire for good relations with the West.

Where do you people find your definitions? It has nothing to do with power. If an Indian owned a business and his white workers would used racial slurs and undermined his authority, are you honestly telling me that isn't racism?

Oxford Dictionary's definition of racism: Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior

The bit in red is the important bit, it's about perceived superiority not social power.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Where do you people find your definitions? It has nothing to do with power. If an Indian owned a business and his white workers would used racial slurs and undermined his authority, are you honestly telling me that isn't racism?

If you're going to narrow racism to name-calling, then you are playing games.

Racism is a global system of injustice organised by those who are classified as white and who are DEDICATED to mistreating, oppressing anyone who is not white. That is the their code of conduct, So they create systems to enforce that code of conduct.

Now I believe that systems exists.

Oxford Dictionary's definition of racism: Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior. The bit in red is the important bit, it's about perceived superiority not social power

There is a difference between ideology and actions.

Yeah sure, as an ideology, anyone can be racist but without power you can't put your ideology into actions.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you're going to narrow racism to name-calling, then you are playing games.

Racism is a global system of injustice organised by those who are classified as white and who are DEDICATED to mistreating, oppressing anyone who is not white. That is the their code of conduct, So they create systems to enforce that code of conduct.

Now I believe that systems exists.

[Citation needed]

The bit in red is the important bit, it's about perceived superiority not social power.
There is a difference between ideology and actions.

Yeah sure, as an ideology, anyone can be racist but without power you can't put your ideology into actions.

Let's pretend what you're saying is true. A business owner, for example James Caan from Dragons Den, is a fairly powerful man. If his white employees (let's say ones doing physical labour in a warehouse) beat him to a pulp, you're saying it's not racist because he has more social power then them? That they can't put their ideology into actions?

[Citation needed]

Let's pretend what you're saying is true. A business owner, for example James Caan from Dragons Den, is a fairly powerful man. If his white employees (let's say ones doing physical labour in a warehouse) beat him to a pulp, you're saying it's not racist because he has more social power then them? That they can't put their ideology into actions?

Being racist to someone and being violent to someone are not the same thing.
Reply 8

Apologies I removed my description as no-one commented. What I meant particularly was, within the asian communities particularly, I would argue for instance the Indians and Pakistani's in the UK are just as, if not more prejudice towards black and chinese people than Whites are. For instance, the majority of Indian and Pakistani families within the UK, would disown their child if they brought home a Black or Chinese partner, yet it is near completely unchallenged in these communities, yet when a white person does it, it is challenged. I would also like to point out and clarify, that I never used the term racist, I used the term prejudice, which has the same implication, but acknowledges that whites cannot be oppressed as they are the oppressors in society, and acknowledges that the oppressed can be prejudice towards others.
Being racist to someone and being violent to someone are not the same thing.

Attacking someone because of their race seems pretty racist to me tbh
Apologies I removed my description as no-one commented. What I meant particularly was, within the asian communities particularly, I would argue for instance the Indians and Pakistani's in the UK are just as, if not more prejudice towards black and chinese people than Whites are. For instance, the majority of Indian and Pakistani families within the UK, would disown their child if they brought home a Black or Chinese partner, yet it is near completely unchallenged in these communities, yet when a white person does it, it is challenged. I would also like to point out and clarify, that I never used the term racist, I used the term prejudice, which has the same implication, but acknowledges that whites cannot be oppressed as they are the oppressors in society, and acknowledges that the oppressed can be prejudice towards others.

I agree Indians can be racist towards black and Asians

But they learnt from the best..........white people.
Reply 11

But then it should be challenged, no-one does, and many Asians in the UK accuse Whites for instance, of having prejudice towards them, when many Asians have the exact same prejudice towards Whites, and if they were in the same position of power in society that Whites are, would be treating them as subservient people. It's all so hypocritical, and I know not one Asian person that has seen what I have written can argue with what I have said, because it is true, most Asian people acknowledge that prejudice and class-ism exist a lot in their cultures.
But then it should be challenged, no-one does, and many Asians in the UK accuse Whites for instance, of having prejudice towards them, when many Asians have the exact same prejudice towards Whites, and if they were in the same position of power in society that Whites are, would be treating them as subservient people. It's all so hypocritical, and I know not one Asian person that has seen what I have written can argue with what I have said, because it is true, most Asian people acknowledge that prejudice and class-ism exist a lot in their cultures.

What can Asian people do to whites in the UK ? Nothing

Asian racism is name calling. Black racism is name calling that is it. Racism is a system and white racism protects itself by creating a dependency amongst the people you are oppressing

So Asians as well as blacks are reliant on whites for jobs. houses and education.

And you thinking Asian have racist attitudes to whites. I think your playing games. You make it seem like 50-50 tug-of war thing, when it's 95-5 thing.

Plus if anything It's been my observation that many Asians are far to trusting and respectful to whites. Also what you think of Asian racism is often a reaction to white racism
Reply 13
What can Asian people do to whites in the UK ? Nothing

Asian racism is name calling. Black racism is name calling that is it. Racism is a system and white racism protects itself by creating a dependency amongst the people you are oppressing

So Asians as well as blacks are reliant on whites for jobs. houses and education.

And you thinking Asian have racist attitudes to whites. I think your playing games. You make it seem like 50-50 tug-of war thing, when it's 95-5 thing.

Plus if anything It's been my observation that many Asians are far to trusting and respectful to whites. Also what you think of Asian racism is often a reaction to white racism

Please actually read what I have said, and then comment again. Racism and prejudice are two different things completely, I have not used the word racism, I have used the word prejudice, anyone can be prejudice towards anyone, prejudice isn't a structure, prejudice is an action, that's why the title of this thread includes the word prejudice and not racism. Believe me, there is a 90% chance that if an Indian girl took you home, here parents would chuck her out of her house and never talk to again, purely because you're black, and you ask the majority of Asian people if that applies to them, and they will tell you so. That's the prejudice I am talking about, I have not mentioned the word racism until now.
Prince Paul reminds me of that guy who recorded himself shooting two white people live on air in America a few months ago. Paranoid nutter
There no such thing as racism to whites in the UK (..)

oh, i see- we are inventing the new definition here?

"Kill the white slag!"
"Kill all white men!"
are of course not racist phrases, right?

you, Sir, are an idiot.
(edited 8 years ago)
What can Asian people do to whites in the UK ?

Systematically rape thousands of their children and prostitute them out to God knows how many men in their (the Asian) community right across the country for years with total impunity?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
Systematically rape thousands of their children and prostitute them out to God knows how many men in their (the Asian) community right across the country for years with total impunity?

Having sex with under-age girls and being racist are not the same thing.

Secondly they were caught and more importantly white men are doing the exact same thing, not just nationally, but globally to under age girls and are not getting caught.

He wasn't referring to "racism" against whites but "racism" by Pakistanis, for example, towards blacks or chinese.

Isn't it funny how, when you repeat some utter nonsense an infinite number of times, it suddenly becomes true? You only have infinity minus 5,000 times to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending