The Student Room Group

Exactly how hard is physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flyingpanda
Right now, I've only really done physics for two months, and despite getting a top grade at GCSE, there initially is a big jump from GCSE to A-Level. Sixth Forms will keep telling you that about all subjects, and it's really true for Physics, more so than the other Science subjects I'm taking, along with Further Maths. A lot of it is quite easy to wrap your head around, but when it comes to the calculations, the wording of the questions have gotten more complicated and confusing. Other than that, the subject has been quite enjoyable, and if you really love the subject, you should take it.

Thanks for the advice! I think I will just start off with physics, and I think that we can change our options during the first few weeks of sixth form if we're not happy with them. Might need to check up on that though.
Original post by BlueBlueBells
I'm in year 11 right now, thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and German, and now I'm wondering if I'd be better off doing Chemistry instead of Physics.

How different is Physics A-level to GCSE Physics, and how difficult is it in general?

EDIT: Our school's exam board is AQA for both subjects, if it helps at all.

Hey .. I'm currently doing Physics A levels.. to be honest depends on how much u enjoy the subject and plus how well you do for ur sciences in GCSE.. because from GCSE to A level it sure is a big jump .. well ppl who did triple science in GCSEs might not find it that hard compared to ppl who did double science (i.e core and additional)... aim for at least a B in ur sciences it will surely help :smile: and yh there is nothing much to worry about .. in A levels u just expand ur knowledge about what u already know .. thats all .. hope it helped .. ^_^
Okay, so as long as my school does AQA, it's fine?

OCR B has compsci modules (which I hate) whereas AQA doesn't.

As for chemistry, I find that wayyy easier than physics but that's just me.
Good luck with your choices!
Then I should enjoy Physics, since I'd say that Maths is one of my strongest subjects.

Yes. It's a no brainier that you should do physics if that is the case :tongue:

if you are doing maths A-level the maths you have to know in A-level physics will be so trivial in comparison. If you get a choice choose a mechanics module in Maths as it will make the equations of motion so much easier in Physics etc.

I'd wager you would probbaly find chemistry harder.

(I also have a degree in physics if you have any questions about that)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Indeterminate
In that case I'd recommend one of the following:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

or

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, German.

because without Chemistry you'd be ruling out the possibility of a Chemical Engineering degree :smile:

I might consider one of those depending on if I want to be a chemical engineer. And since I don't yet know what a chemical engineer actually does (and how the career differs from the other types of engineering), I'm probably more hesitant with my options.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes. It's a no brainier that you should do physics if that is the case :tongue:

if you are doing maths A-level the maths you have to know in A-level physics will be so trivial in comparison. If you get a choice choose a mechanics module in Maths as it will make the equations of motion so much easier in Physics etc.

I'd wager you would probbaly find chemistry harder.

(I also have a degree in physics if you have any questions about that)

I'm quite sure we're doing the M1 and M2 modules in Further Maths, so hopefully that'll help me. Thanks for the advice :biggrin: and that degree in physics sounds great! What do you do now?
Original post by sananahas
Hey .. I'm currently doing Physics A levels.. to be honest depends on how much u enjoy the subject and plus how well you do for ur sciences in GCSE.. because from GCSE to A level it sure is a big jump .. well ppl who did triple science in GCSEs might not find it that hard compared to ppl who did double science (i.e core and additional)... aim for at least a B in ur sciences it will surely help :smile: and yh there is nothing much to worry about .. in A levels u just expand ur knowledge about what u already know .. thats all .. hope it helped .. ^_^

Practically everyone in our school has to do triple science, and I should definitely be able to get above a B in physics. Thanks for the advice though :biggrin:
Original post by peanutbutterjam
OCR B has compsci modules (which I hate) whereas AQA doesn't.

As for chemistry, I find that wayyy easier than physics but that's just me.
Good luck with your choices!

Thank you very much, and I hope you do well in your A-levels too :h:
I'm quite sure we're doing the M1 and M2 modules in Further Maths, so hopefully that'll help me. Thanks for the advice :biggrin: and that degree in physics sounds great! What do you do now?

Out of all of the questions you had to ask that one :P

I worked in a warehouse then I've been unemployed for 6 months. Volunteering for conservation charity in and around that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
I might possibly do something like engineering, so maybe.

Plus, do you think physics complements maths and further maths more than chemistry? I'd like to do something that's perhaps more maths related.

A2 chemistry especially has lots of maths. But overall I think physics would be the better choice, especially as further maths complements A2 physics nicely.

Though I know that for engineering at most places you dont necessarily need physics, as long as you've taken mechanics 2 in maths.

At the end of the day, go for the subject you enjoy more, by the sounds of it physics seems more like your thing.
:smile:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Out of all of the questions you had to ask that one :P

I've been unemployed for 6 months.

:colondollar: Maybe I shouldn't have been so forward...

And that really must suck. I do wish you luck on your job seeking venture though.

A STEM degree is great, by the way, especially during the 21st century. Hopefully a career opportunity will come up soon :tongue:
Original post by Hazel37
A2 chemistry especially has lots of maths. But overall I think physics would be the better choice, especially as further maths complements A2 physics nicely.

Though I know that for engineering at most places you dont necessarily need physics, as long as you've taken mechanics 2 in maths.

At the end of the day, go for the subject you enjoy more, by the sounds of it physics seems more like your thing.
:smile:

Well, thank you very much for the advice :biggrin: I think I probably will just take physics, hopefully.

I hope your studies go well too :h:
I might consider one of those depending on if I want to be a chemical engineer. And since I don't yet know what a chemical engineer actually does (and how the career differs from the other types of engineering), I'm probably more hesitant with my options.

For any Engineering degree, you'd be better off having both Maths and Physics (since they cover the vast majority of its branches).Then it comes down to what other things you'd be willing to do. For example If ChemEng looks ok, add Chemistry by all means.

I think it'd make sense to start ruling out the areas that you wouldn't be interested in, since then it would be easier to focus your options towards areas that you would be interested in :smile:

It's also worth saying that I know people who kept their options completely open by doing Maths and all 3 sciences. One guy went into Medicine, another went into Engineering, etc etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
For any Engineering degree, you'd be better off having both Maths and Physics (since they cover the vast majority of its branches).Then it comes down to what other things you'd be willing to do. For example If ChemEng looks ok, add Chemistry by all means.

I think it'd make sense to start ruling out the areas that you wouldn't be interested in, since then it would be easier to focus your options towards areas that you would be interested in :smile:

It's also worth saying that I know people who kept their options completely open by doing Maths and all 3 sciences. One guy went into Medicine, another went into a Engineering, etc etc.

Well I definitely do not want to do Biology (not even thinking of doing medicine or anything related to that), but really the only reason I'd want to take Chemistry would be for ChemEng, which I find sort of pointless. I think I'll just have to research more on what chemical engineers do, and if I'd enjoy doing that.
Well I definitely do not want to do Biology (not even thinking of doing medicine or anything related to that), but really the only reason I'd want to take Chemistry would be for ChemEng, which I find sort of pointless. I think I'll just have to research more on what chemical engineers do, and if I'd enjoy doing that.

That sounds good to me :biggrin:

Btw I'm very impressed by the fact that, despite only being in Y11, you're already sure that you want to do a degree in Engineering!
That sounds good to me :biggrin:

Btw I'm very impressed by the fact that, despite only being in Y11, you're already sure that you want to do a degree in Engineering!

Sure-ish. I remember that I wasn't even sure about what GCSEs I wanted to take in year 9, let alone what profession I wanted to go into. And if engineering doesn't work, the maths and further maths will at least prepare me for a Maths degree.
thats awesome then... GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
I found Physics the hardest out of my A-Levels (Maths, physics, chemistry). It's a huge plus if you're interested in Physics, and really helps if you've git the maths understanding. However, many parts of the A-Level can be boring and confusing.
Original post by sananahas
thats awesome then... GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

Thank you!
Original post by DisguisedToast
I found Physics the hardest out of my A-Levels (Maths, physics, chemistry). It's a huge plus if you're interested in Physics, and really helps if you've git the maths understanding. However, many parts of the A-Level can be boring and confusing.

Maths understanding is fine for me, I'd say, so hopefully I won't struggle too much in physics.

Quick Reply

Latest