The Student Room Group

Student Finance England - Maintenance Grant

Hey,

I was wondering when the removal of maintenance grants would take place?
I am a first year university student - I was eligble for the full maintenance grant this year; would I also receive it next year and again in my third year, or, is this the last year of the maintenance grant?
[QUOTE=Breakingbank;60496631]Hey,

I was wondering when the removal of maintenance grants would take place?
I am a first year university student - I was eligble for the full maintenance grant this year; would I also receive it next year and again in my third year, or, is this the last year of the maintenance grant?

The maintenance grant is only being removed for new students from September 2016. As you are already receiving it, you should continue to get it for the remaining two years of your course. (Always providing they don't change their minds in the meantime, of course!)
Original post by ontherazzle
The maintenance grant is only being removed for new students from September 2016. As you are already receiving it, you should continue to get it for the remaining two years of your course. (Always providing they don't change their minds in the meantime, of course!)

Oh okay, that's good news; thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by ontherazzle

What if you started a course this year, received a maintenance grant, dropped out (and re-paid part of maintenance grant), and are now re-applying for 2016 entry?
Original post by johnperp
What if you started a course this year, received a maintenance grant, dropped out (and re-paid part of maintenance grant), and are now re-applying for 2016 entry?

I imagine you would be treated as a new student, unfortunately, so would not be eligible for a grant. But that's only my guess; it would be worth contacting the Student Finance enquiry line to make sure.
Yes, you'd be treated as a new student if you drop out.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
Yes, you'd be treated as a new student if you drop out.

How do you know? (just making sure to avoid contacting sfe)
Original post by johnperp
How do you know? (just making sure to avoid contacting sfe)

It's a new course. If you start a new course, you're treated the same (therefore, your finance is the same) as any new student starting in September 2016.

If you start a course this year and complete the course, you get the maintenance grant.
[QUOTE=johnperp;60626443]What if you started a course this year, received a maintenance grant, dropped out (and re-paid part of maintenance grant), and are now re-applying for 2016 entry?

The key word is "re-applying". If you had made some sort of arrangement with the university to suspend your attendence for a year, due to illness, say, it might be different. But the fact that you officially dropped out and repaid part of the grant shows that you had finished with that course.

I think I can see where you are coming from - you feel you are not a "new student" because you were a student this academic year and are going to be one next academic year, too. But as far as I know that's not how it works and anyone applying for a course in 2016 will be considered a "new student".

Sfe used to be awful to deal with but the last couple of times I've spoken to them on the phone they've been pretty helpful and efficient. I'm sure they'd be able to give you a definitive answer very quickly if you still have doubts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending