The Student Room Group

I'm 17 & need help.

I'm doing my AS levels, i'm planning to go into investment banking soon, i'm doing Politics & government, sociology, business studies and also financial studies. Which degree would be good for IB? I'm thinking business finances or management. I heard it matters about your Uni a lot. Also, people are taking internships during Uni for extra benefits towards getting their job. Would it be a good idea to take advantage of that and start now? And try to get a summer internship during my holidays? Any more advice will help! Please ask questions & comment etc!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
I'm doing my AS levels, i'm planning to go into investment banking soon, i'm doing Politics & government, sociology, business studies and also financial studies. Which degree would be good for IB? I'm thinking business finances or management. I heard it matters about your Uni a lot. Also, people are taking internships during Uni for extra benefits towards getting their job. Would it be a good idea to take advantage of that and start now? And try to get a summer internship during my holidays? Any more advice will help! Please ask questions & comment etc!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aim to get into a target uni: Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick

If not try for a semi-target: Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Bath, KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Birmingham, Cass

The subject you study isn't really relevant, choose something you're good at and that you will enjoy studying for the 3+ years at university.

Internships don't just 'boost your chances' they are LITERALLY required to get a grad job. The funnel starts in first year (or second year of a four year course) whereby you apply for 'Spring Weeks' - these are a couple of days long placements where you gain a greater insight into the industry, with the potential of being offered a place on the summer internship.

Which brings me on to the next stage, the internship; this is crucial, you'll need to really impress as much as you can in order to land the coveted graduate job offer at the end. These take place in the summer of your penultimate year. Don't worry if you don't land any Spring Weeks, because there will be an even greater selection of banks to choose from for summer - I repeat, it is absolutely crucial you land a summer gig.

Right now, though, focus on your A-level subjects but also get involved around your school or community. You'll need to start building up a strong CV, with content that will impress (but that you also find interesting) if you want to stand a chance. In year 13, apply to some A-level insight programmes - some of which will include a potential fast track (i.e. consideration for a place) for that bank's respective spring week programme.

Some sites you should reference:
Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and this is particularly good for a list of A-level programmes: The Student Ladder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Aim to get into a target uni: Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick

If not try for a semi-target: Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Bath, KCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Birmingham, Cass

The subject you study isn't really relevant, choose something you're good at and that you will enjoy studying for the 3+ years at university.

Internships don't just 'boost your chances' they are LITERALLY required to get a grad job. The funnel starts in first year (or second year of a four year course) whereby you apply for 'Spring Weeks' - these are a couple of days long placements where you gain a greater insight into the industry, with the potential of being offered a place on the summer internship.

Which brings me on to the next stage, the internship; this is crucial, you'll need to really impress as much as you can in order to land the coveted graduate job offer at the end. These take place in the summer of your penultimate year. Don't worry if you don't land any Spring Weeks, because there will be an even greater selection of banks to choose from for summer - I repeat, it is absolutely crucial you land a summer gig.

Right now, though, focus on your A-level subjects but also get involved around your school or community. You'll need to start building up a strong CV, with content that will impress (but that you also find interesting) if you want to stand a chance. In year 13, apply to some A-level insight programmes - some of which will include a potential fast track (i.e. consideration for a place) for that bank's respective spring week programme.

Some sites you should reference:
Mergers and Inquisitions, the Unofficial Guide to Banking, TargetCareers - Banking, AllAboutFinanceCareers and this is particularly good for a list of A-level programmes: The Student Ladder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't a business degree relevant to my A levels? I don't think i needed a maths a level to do one. I'm doing business as it is & finance and written subjects. Also, it is what i'm interested in and will help with IB. I'm doing a lot for my school and can add a lot for my CV. I'm planning to do a summer internship, is it possible for me? 2016 summer after i finish my AS exams, a 1 week one in a London bank? Good idea? What tips do you have sir. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
Isn't a business degree relevant to my A levels? I don't think i needed a maths a level to do one. I'm doing business as it is & finance and written subjects. Also, it is what i'm interested in and will help with IB. I'm doing a lot for my school and can add a lot for my CV. I'm planning to do a summer internship, is it possible for me? 2016 summer after i finish my AS exams, a 1 week one in a London bank? Good idea? What tips do you have sir. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to be honest, Business won't help at all. It's pretty much BS at A-level, then even further BS at degree level. I'd go for Accounting and Finance (or even just Finance) if you want something more applicable. Look man, stop trying to find a degree that'll be 'better' for IB, look for ones you have an interest in and just stick with one. Obviously, you still have some time yet, but explore your interests a bit more than focusing on business degrees.

It depends, for A&F degrees you'll need A-level Maths at most top unis. Usually, I'd advise at least taking it to AS for next year if you want to keep your options open.

I'm not sure how you'll land a week placement at an IB (unless it's through nepotism) but generally, there are schemes for underprivileged kids in London that arrange this sort of thing. If I remember correctly, the social mobility fund, SEO scholars and Citylink The Brokerage are a few names that do something like that.

Again, I've given you the gist of it with some further reading + links to opportunities. It's time for you to execute now.
[QUOTE=Princepieman;60497301]I'm going to be honest, Business won't help at all. It's pretty much BS at A-level, then even further BS at degree level. I'd go for Accounting and Finance (or even just Finance) if you want something more applicable. Look man, stop trying to find a degree that'll be 'better' for IB, look for ones you have an interest in and just stick with one. Obviously, you still have some time yet, but explore your interests a bit more than focusing on business degrees.

It depends, for A&F degrees you'll need A-level Maths at most top unis. Usually, I'd advise at least taking it to AS for next year if you want to keep your options open.

I'm not sure how you'll land a week placement at an IB (unless it's through nepotism) but generally, there are schemes for underprivileged kids in London that arrange this sort of thing. If I remember correctly, the social mobility fund, SEO scholars and Citylink The Brokerage are a few names that do something like that.

Again, I've given you the gist of it with some further reading + links to opportunities. It's time for you to execute now.

Relevance doesn't matter the slightest? So OP could theoretically do an Arts degree and be in with a chance of getting into investment banking?
Original post by Hashim123
Relevance doesn't matter the slightest? So OP could theoretically do an Arts degree and be in with a chance of getting into investment banking?

Yep, know a few Music and History grads who are now traders. Some of my friends did PPE, and are in IBD.

The whole degree relevance thing is overplayed, everyone gets trained for almost 2 months (full time) before they hit their desks.
Yep, know a few Music and History grads who are now traders. Some of my friends did PPE, and are in IBD.

The whole degree relevance thing is overplayed, everyone gets trained for almost 2 months (full time) before they hit their desks.

Wow, that's pretty surprising. You'd think firms would be giving preference to those who'd done at least a somewhat relevant degree.
Original post by Foji

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forgot to mention, you need to learn how to network effectively as well. Once you're at uni, reach out to bankers (via Linkedin) for email correspondence, phone calls, meet them at careers fairs, arrange coffee get togethers etc. It's quite an important aspect of both recruiting for these roles, and for career development further down the line.
Original post by Hashim123
Wow, that's pretty surprising. You'd think firms would be giving preference to those who'd done at least a somewhat relevant degree.

There isn't really a relevant degree though. Economics shows up often, not because it's relevant, but because students of the subject are the most clued up about IB - not to mention being the most money hungry.

I mean, for quanty desks (exotic derivatives), actual quant roles, structuring there is the prerequisite of doing something mathematically rigorous like Maths, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics.

The rest of the roles are pretty simple mathematically (nothing more than GCSE tbh) so any decently smart person can learn the technical stuff quickly. IBs stress diversity of thought, and that maifests itself from hiring people with varying backgrounds.
Reply 9
There isn't really a relevant degree though. Economics shows up often, not because it's relevant, but because students of the subject are the most clued up about IB - not to mention being the most money hungry.

I mean, for quanty desks (exotic derivatives), actual quant roles, structuring there is the prerequisite of doing something mathematically rigorous like Maths, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics.

The rest of the roles are pretty simple mathematically (nothing more than GCSE tbh) so any decently smart person can learn the technical stuff quickly. IBs stress diversity of thought, and that maifests itself from hiring people with varying backgrounds.

So what can i do now, as an AS student to give me an upper-hand right now if i wan't to get into IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
So what can i do now, as an AS student to give me an upper-hand right now if i wan't to get into IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you actually read my first reply to you, that'd be fantastic.
Reply 11
If you actually read my first reply to you, that'd be fantastic.

Do some banks offer summer internships for AS and A2 students? I saw a goldman sach's one for a week but i think you would have to be 18+. But know anything about that sir? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
Do some banks offer summer internships for AS and A2 students? I saw a goldman sach's one for a week but i think you would have to be 18+. But know anything about that sir? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, JPM, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank have programmes for underprivileged/underrepresented kids, apart from that no.

Again, read my posts, there's not much else to say on that front. There's a link to the opportunities you can go to at A-level, in my first reply. You're asking questions that can be covered, by actually reading through both my posts and the links I've sent you.

What you saw was the first year/second year of a four year course spring week (which I've already talked about).

If you have another question, it better not be one that I've covered already.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Well, JPM, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank have programmes for underprivileged/underrepresented kids, apart from that no.

Again, read my posts, there's not much else to say on that front. There's a link to the opportunities you can go to at A-level, in my first reply. You're asking questions that can be covered, by actually reading through both my posts and the links I've sent you.

What you saw was the first year/second year of a four year course spring week (which I've already talked about).

If you have another question, it better not be one that I've covered already.

Give yourself a pat on the back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jheez some people can be ungrateful for help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending