The Student Room Group

Do I need to mention general studies in my PS?

Im applying for optometry/orthoptics and I'm just wondering whether I need to really mention general studies or not. Any advice greatly appreciated!!
I don't think so.

I take A level german and literally spent 1 sentence talking about it in my Engineering PS (And, further, one of my offers is for Engineering with a year abroad in Germany) so I don't think GS will matter for you
Reply 2
Original post by Student403
I don't think so.

I take A level german and literally spent 1 sentence talking about it in my Engineering PS (And, further, one of my offers is for Engineering with a year abroad in Germany) so I don't think GS will matter for you

Ok thats good to know thanks!
Original post by frances98
Ok thats good to know thanks!

No problem!
You don't need to mention any of your A Levels in your PS - for a vocational course like that, you won't really have the space if you are talking about the role and the skills you've developed
Reply 5
Original post by *Interrobang*
You don't need to mention any of your A Levels in your PS - for a vocational course like that, you won't really have the space if you are talking about the role and the skills you've developed

I was told to make it 80% education 20% extra curricular though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That should mean why you want to do your course, not necessarily subject choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't mean trot out "maths A level has improved my ability to do sums" it means talk about topics you've covered or work you've done that you've enjoyed. Explaining what you enjoyed about them. Talking about books you've tead/articles/documentaries/tedtalks/lectures that you enjoyed. Talking about topics you haven't covered yet that you're looking forward to at university.
And for vocational courses: your understanding of the career, and work experience or research that has given you insight into the job. Experiences where you have demonstrated the skills needed to succeed.
Reply 9
I think you need to mention those. You took them for a reason right? and besides it's the most basic things taken in college :biggrin:
Original post by reid5532
I think you need to mention those. You took them for a reason right? and besides it's the most basic things taken in college :biggrin:

Admissions staff could not give a flying **** about why you chose your A level subjects. They want to know that you are confident in your degree subject choice, that you've done enough research to make an informed choice and have the motivation and necessary skills evidenced to succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending