The Student Room Group

What degree should i do? I'm stuck

Hi,
I'm currently in my second year in college. I'm studying a computer programming course. I don't know what to study in university. Most people see the computer programming and suggest computer science but I don't think I want to do that, plus I would have to go back and do maths A-level!
I'm interested in business and online marketing etc. I'm also interested in thoughtful subjects that look at how the world works and world problems.
Could you guys suggest some degrees that might work with me?
Baring in mind I do not have Maths A-level, and got a B in GCSE. All my other GCSE are B's and above. I am projected to get Distinction* Distinction* Distinction* in my current course.
I want something that will develop me as a person and my skillset. I'm not to worried about the whole degree leads to a career thing because I'm quite an entrepreneur and will be working for myself.
Any help welcomed.
Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JHJ8
Hi,
I'm currently in my second year in college. I'm studying a computer programming course. I don't know what to study in university. Most people see the computer programming and suggest computer science but I don't think I want to do that, plus I would have to go back and do maths A-level!
I'm interested in business and online marketing etc. I'm also interested in thoughtful subjects that look at how the world works and world problems.
Baring in mind I do not have Maths A-level, and got a B in GCSE. All my other GCSE are B's and above. I am projected to get Distinction* Distinction* Distinction* in my current course.
I want something that will develop me as a person and my skillset. I'm not to worried about the whole degree leads to a career thing because I'm quite an entrepreneur and will be working for myself.
Any help welcomed.
Cheers

Hello,

There are loads of options out there for you to study. I think you mostly fit the criteria of economics, which you might be surprised to find out that you don't always need a maths A-level to study it! This would allow you to look at business, how it works in society and everyday life as well as its effects of markets which could be really useful if you wanted to set up your own business. Alternatively you could have a look at Information Technology which would greatly improve your skills in software and communications, or even take a look at entrepreneurship as a degree which could give you great skills to start your own business.

If you wanted to have a look at something slightly different why not go for politics, international relations or even real estate which would give you a completely different view on the world. In most cases as long as you have a passion for the subject and are willing to work hard most universities will give you an offer, even if you haven't got an A-Level in it!
If you are unsure, you might even be able to find a joint degree course that suits you which could take the two best aspects from two subjects!

Have a look around at all the courses offered, you might even be able to find a computer science that doesn't need a math A-level, university's look at more than just your grades! Also try 'the complete university guide' website as well, they have information on all the courses available and the grade requirements, you might find a subject you didn't expect!

I think you have lots of options available! Feel free to ask anymore questions,
Amelia :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading
Hello,

There are loads of options out there for you to study. I think you mostly fit the criteria of economics, which you might be surprised to find out that you don't always need a maths A-level to study it! This would allow you to look at business, how it works in society and everyday life as well as its effects of markets which could be really useful if you wanted to set up your own business. Alternatively you could have a look at Information Technology which would greatly improve your skills in software and communications, or even take a look at entrepreneurship as a degree which could give you great skills to start your own business.

If you wanted to have a look at something slightly different why not go for politics, international relations or even real estate which would give you a completely different view on the world. In most cases as long as you have a passion for the subject and are willing to work hard most universities will give you an offer, even if you haven't got an A-Level in it!
If you are unsure, you might even be able to find a joint degree course that suits you which could take the two best aspects from two subjects!

Have a look around at all the courses offered, you might even be able to find a computer science that doesn't need a math A-level, university's look at more than just your grades! Also try 'the complete university guide' website as well, they have information on all the courses available and the grade requirements, you might find a subject you didn't expect!

I think you have lots of options available! Feel free to ask anymore questions,
Amelia :biggrin:

Thanks a lot for the reply Amelia! I was looking at economics earlier, it looks very interesting! Your reply has been sooo helpful and encouraging:biggrin: I think I will look closer into economics as well as other degrees and see where that goes! I'm thinking about looking into a nutrition based degree as I've always been into that and I am very passionate about it. I also got an A in my physical education GCSE which contains a lot of nutrition:smile:
Thanks again:biggrin:
Joe
Reply 3
A B at Gcse would be fine to do computer science at lots of top Unis still, up to you really as you can do lots of degrees. You could also go down the economics/ Accounting and finance route but I fear for Economics not doing the A level may be a disadvantage even though it's not required
Reply 4
Original post by alexp98
A B at Gcse would be fine to do computer science at lots of top Unis still, up to you really as you can do lots of degrees. You could also go down the economics/ Accounting and finance route but I fear for Economics not doing the A level may be a disadvantage even though it's not required

Okay cool! I've heard similar things about economics myself! It's just nice to know that I have plenty of choice!
Cheers
Reply 5
Original post by JHJ8
Okay cool! I've heard similar things about economics myself! It's just nice to know that I have plenty of choice!
Cheers

Let me know which you go for, I'm also stuck between Economics, Computer science and Accounting and finance :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by alexp98
Let me know which you go for, I'm also stuck between Economics, Computer science and Accounting and finance :smile:

Will do:smile: It's a tough choice isn't it haha! But they're all good and respected degrees with transferable skills. Probably best to just go for the one you enjoy the most!
Easier said than done I know:wink:
Accounting and Finance !!! :biggrin:
Original post by JHJ8
Hi,
Any help welcomed.
Cheers

Perhaps Sociology? I'm studying it at A-Level and absolutely love it :smile:
If this was me, I wouldn't apply this year. I'd use the time now to do some proper research into what courses I can do with my subject and apply next year. Would also use next year to get some work experience.

Good luck!
there are some universities that don't require maths a level for computer science examples being Lancaster Swansea Royal Holloway Nottingham and Kent. Most top universities require Maths at a level for economics. You will need to fully research each university to check whether they require a level maths for the subjects you decide to study and go from there.
Original post by SmellyProtein
Accounting and Finance !!! :biggrin:

Are you going for this? :smile: I am leading towards Accounting and Finance over Computer Science atm. Is there anything major I should know about the course as I have done research but still feel a bit lost,

Thanks
Original post by alexp98
Are you going for this? :smile: I am leading towards Accounting and Finance over Computer Science atm. Is there anything major I should know about the course as I have done research but still feel a bit lost,

Thanks

In my 2nd year doing it :smile: It's probably the hardest business related course but also the most rewarding :smile:
Original post by SmellyProtein
In my 2nd year doing it :smile: It's probably the hardest business related course but also the most rewarding :smile:

Wow Awesome! Which uni and how hard is the maths involved? I'm really unsure between economics and A+F. Can't decide! I didn't take A level maths but still got high B at GCSE

Also, isn't Econ supposed to be harder?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending