The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston University- Ethnicity

I am thinking of applying to Aston university and i was reading that aparently the university is majority Indian. This is not a problem for me. I was just wondering if there were any African and Caribbean people that attended the university? And if they are considered the majority or the minority of the population at the university?

Thank you very much
Original post by Aliyah_rose
I am thinking of applying to Aston university and i was reading that aparently the university is majority Indian. This is not a problem for me. I was just wondering if there were any African and Caribbean people that attended the university? And if they are considered the majority or the minority of the population at the university?

Thank you very much

Hi,

I get this question a lot on here, i don't know why this perception exists. We have a very diverse mix of students. During my undergraduate degree i made friends with students from across the globe - Germany, Spain, Bulgaria, Canada, Japan, Brazil and so on along with many British students of different ethnic backgrounds.

We have a large amount of cultural and faith based societies where you can meet people of similar backgrounds, one of these societies does exist for African and Caribbean students. :smile:

If you have any more questions i'm a 2014 graduate and Birmingham local, so i should be able to handle most things you can throw at me.

Josh
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Thank you very much

It's about half none white, pretty much like the city itself and of that half not all are south Asians

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you everyone! I have a few more questions:

I was wondering how the uni is in terms of location (greenery, pretty)?
If the students union hold good events? And if there is decent nightlife?
How the accommodation is if you lived on campus? And how easy it is to get accommodation off campus for year 2 and 3?
And is there a lot to do in Birmingham? Such as bowling, cinema, shopping etc.?
Thank you everyone! I have a few more questions:

I was wondering how the uni is in terms of location (greenery, pretty)?
If the students union hold good events? And if there is decent nightlife?
How the accommodation is if you lived on campus? And how easy it is to get accommodation off campus for year 2 and 3?
And is there a lot to do in Birmingham? Such as bowling, cinema, shopping etc.?

The uni campus is small but it has a little greenery by its lake, other universities have far more greenery.

The students union is awful and holds crap events but the former will change in the next year or two when the new union building will be completed.

The nightlife is some of the best in the country.

The accommodation at aston is probably the best you will find being on campus, right in the city centre and its
All pretty much new built.

Year 2/3 students don't all live off campus some stay in halls and those who do tend to choose in groups what area to go to as there are so many choices.

As for shopping etc I did laugh at the question, it's the second biggest city in the country it has everything every other city has. Why don't you come and visit to see for yourself? The German Christmas market opens on Thursday so there's an excuse :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by paul514
The uni campus is small but it has a little greenery by its lake, other universities have far more greenery.

The students union is awful and holds crap events but the former will change in the next year or two when the new union building will be completed.

The nightlife is some of the best in the country.

The accommodation at aston is probably the best you will find being on campus, right in the city centre and its
All pretty much new built.

Year 2/3 students don't all live off campus some stay in halls and those who do tend to choose in groups what area to go to as there are so many choices.

As for shopping etc I did laugh at the question, it's the second biggest city in the country it has everything every other city has. Why don't you come and visit to see for yourself? The German Christmas market opens on Thursday so there's an excuse :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your input. I will probably come and visit it in a few weeks.
Thank you very much for your input. I will probably come and visit it in a few weeks.

Good, the markets on till the 23rd December :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest